SONY NW-ZX100
Sep 2, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #61 of 3,849

Maybe the ZX100 will give the ZX2 a run for its money in terms of sound quality.

What I like about the ZX100 is that its alot more portable than the ZX2.

If there is not much difference in sound quality between them, I'd much prefer to get the ZX100 for its form factor.

It's got most of the improvements that the ZX2 got (not all I'm sure) married to the Sony OS. That's a win for me. And I'm with you - the ZX100's form factor is just right (at least for me). The ZX2 is bigger than the ZX1. If this was my only rig, maybe I'd splurge and get that extra x% SQ. However, I use this on planes mostly so portability matters. And there's only so much sound quality you're going to eek out on a plane with all the noise, even with noise cancelling cans (if you use them).

As for the price, I'll be surprised if it comes in at $599. More often than not it really is stick a dollar sign where a pound or Euro sign is. One can argue if this is or is not better than another device but that is always subjective. We all care about different things. I like the ZX2, but the ZX100 ticks my buttons as the worthy upgrade to my ZX1.

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #63 of 3,849
I have never used DSD, as they are quite heavy, I get SACD ISO's and convert them to FLAC 24/88.2Khz

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #64 of 3,849

For the ZX100 price you might as well top up a little bit more to get the ZX2...

Maybe the ZX100 will give the ZX2 a run for its money in terms of sound quality.

What I like about the ZX100 is that its alot more portable than the ZX2.

If there is not much difference in sound quality between them, I'd much prefer to get the ZX100 for its form factor.

I will buy one, because i always wanted to try out a zx1 or zx2, but their hefty prices didnt let me and the zx1 didn't have microSD slot. Let's see if those oscon make a difference versus the poscaps on the A17 i own now. first i will buy me a pair of XBA-A3's and ditch my XBA-H3's for good

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #68 of 3,849
Hope the ZX100 will be closer to the sound sig of the ZX1. ZX2 was too warm for my ciem 
frown.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #69 of 3,849
My Japanese player A17 has noise cancelling that i use all the time ..plus none of that euro volume limiter rubbish, if the zx100 sounds better than the A17 i will be getting it for sure.

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #70 of 3,849
Wish Sony updated their own software with these new releases, as I found using the A17 'boring' at times without anything else to do other than listen to music like a zombie.
It's 2015 and a digital player should have many functions.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #72 of 3,849
Just looking at a picture of the ZX100 I can't see any forward or back buttons. Where are they ?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0K9mqD568ok/VecMzWXtxOI/AAAAAAAAFEA/QAovj-yyth4/s640/ZX100_Side_Back-Large.jpg

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #73 of 3,849
Wish Sony updated their own software with these new releases, as I found using the A17 'boring' at times without anything else to do other than listen to music like a zombie.
It's 2015 and a digital player should have many functions.

Again, different strokes for different folks. Having had all of the Android-based Walkmans, I can tell you I never used the Android part. I want my Walkman to be just a music player. I have a laptop or other devices if I want to do other stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back