SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #45,227 of 45,723
Sep 17, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #45,229 of 45,723
I’m not. I’m glad I have both even tho I bought them used. We are lucky to have them and should appreciate them. I’m sure you do, tho :)

Yeah I'm also glad to have both, with the 1Z serving stationary duties and the 1A setup to throw in an every-day-carry bag as it's lighter and also would be less painful in case of loss or damage while I'm out and about.

Sep 17, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #45,230 of 45,723
Sorry for the wait guys :)

Hard work has been done, and it's now here.

WM1A 2.0 firmware mods

The firmware mods are the same CHAMELEON, WM1A/Z+, and WM1A/Z++, but with the sound closer to the WM1Z signature.

As always:
- CHAMELEON has the stock firmware sound, now closer to the WM1Z signature, but with the ability to switch the model
- WM1A/Z+ has a different sound, still closer to the WM1Z signature, but also with the same ability to switch the model
- WM1A/Z++ has the same sound as WM1A/Z+, but with increased volume output

A small tip: the sound is now closer than ever to the WM1Z signature. In order to fully achieve the WM1Z sound,
install CHAMELEON, then switch the model to WM1Z from "Settings > Device Settings > Reset/Format/Model Switcher
> Switch Device Model
", and then install CHAMELEON again.

These firmware mods cannot be installed on the WM1Z. The WM1Z already has the WM1Z sound signature anyway, so this will
be no different than just installing one of the current 1.4 version of these mods.

Frequently Asked Questions:
- Do I need to install the official 3.02 firmware before installing one of these mods?
No, you do not.

- What should I do in order to return to the stock firmware?
In the Google Drive folder I included a package that will restore the player to the stock 3.02 firmware. The package
is called "BackToStock 3.02 (WM1A 2.0)"

- If I switched the model to WM1Z, do I need to change the model back to WM1A before installing the "BackToStock 3.02 (WM1A 2.0)"
package?
No, you do not need to change the model back. The package was made to also change the model back to WM1A if you did not
already changed it yourself. However, the Software Update Tool will say that the device did not respond. You will be able to see that
installing the stock firmware was done successfully, because the stock white Walkman logo will show up at startup instead of the orange Walkman logo.

- If I tried "CHAMELEON (WM1A 2.0)" and I want to try "WM1A/Z+ (WM1A 2.0)" for example, can I just install it, or do I need to install
the "BackToStock 3.02 (WM1A 2.0)" package first?

You can just install the other modded firmware, you do not need to install the "BackToStock 3.02 (WM1A 2.0)" package first.

- What if I want to use the normal version of the CHAMELEON, WM1A/Z+, and WM1A/Z++ mods (the 1.4 version) instead of
the WM1A 2.0 version? Do I need to install the "BackToStock 3.02 (WM1A 2.0)" package?
If you want to fully restore the WM1A sound signature, then yes, you should install the "BackToStock 3.02 (WM1A 2.0)" package.

DOWNLOAD LINK

Enjoy, and feel free to leave your feedback! :)

I will create a dedicated thread of the modded firmwares soon.
let the games begin! well done yet again to bro @MrWalkman

Sep 17, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #45,231 of 45,723
Thanks again @MrWalkman for another great piece of work! With Chameleon 2.0 on my Romi Blackgate modded 1A (switched to 1Z) and FAudio Project Y (with 1960s 2-wires), there is vast improvement on sub-bass and soundstage, and the high is so smooth that I can say the difference with stock 1Z is amazingly small!

With WM1A/Z++, my stock 1Z still sounds a bit more open and effortless, with a bit deeper bass and slightly darker background. In short I enjoy both and glad that I am having them at the same time.

I understand that firmware mod does have the limitations (same to hardware Mod) but congratulate again @MrWalkman that you have successfully achieved a similar level of sound improvement with the 2.0 firmware, of which all users of 1A can be benefited.

The great work deserves a big round of beers!

20200917_143134.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #45,232 of 45,723
I want to confirm that the way, I am trying to compare Stock 3.02 firmware to 3.02 Z++ 2.0 and I wonder if it is the right way :
As I was with 3.02 Z++ 1.4 in Z mode for a few weeks now I followed this procedure :
A) => switching to full 3.02 stock mode
1) I went to Switch Device Model to be back WM1A mode
2) I uploaded the BackToStock 3.02 (WM1A 2.0).exe to my WM1A
... and nothing else.. no factory reset ... I just expect, I was again in full stock firmware at this stage and I could enjoy some Jazz music from Ibrahim Malouf with no mods.
B) Then switching to the brand new WM1Z++ 2.0
1) I uploaded a first time to my WM1A the new WM1AZ++ 3.02 (WM1A 2.0).exe
2) I went to switch Device Model to be in WM1Z mode
3) I uploaded once more the WM1AZ++ 3.02 (WM1A 2.0).exe to my WM1A in Z mode
.... and I could get a totally different sound .... with a larger stage and still deep low frequencies... but by far less intimate.

As the sound is so different, I think I should get with my miniDSP ears non pro measurements some rather different frequency response and THD curves between stock 3.02 and Z++(2.0).
At this stage, I am not sure I prefer the v2.0 version vs V1.4.

Before, I start any measurements, I just wonder if after my first steps, I was in real Stock 3.02 firmware or some mods were still applied as I didn't do any factory reset ?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #45,235 of 45,723
Yes, and a person like me did explore opera (in younger years) only to find it not interesting? Yet such surprise to have it reintroduced with soprano hot metal-chicks!? And....well recorded, and...........even though not original, still good?

I heard a German band called Aurora (not to be confused with Norwegian pop/weird artist Aurora lol) who had a soprano singer and metal.
She wasn't that great of a singer honestly, but I did enjoy their song 'Sleepwalking' a lot :)

Anyway, was wondering if you guys can recommend some good soprano-metal type bands? The more melodic the better :)

And by way of inclusion and diversity, I should add that I quite enjoyed some of those tracks that came free with the WM1Z :D
EDIT: and I really like Neil Young too, with or without Crazy Horse :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #45,236 of 45,723
After 40 hours playing local 16/44 flac with source direct plus about 5 hours of BT receiver the low battery indicator is now flashing so I reckon that just playing flac until auto shut down would have given about 50 hours total play time on a charge

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #45,239 of 45,723
I heard a German band called Aurora (not to be confused with Norwegian pop/weird artist Aurora lol) who had a soprano singer and metal.
She wasn't that great of a singer honestly, but I did enjoy their song 'Sleepwalking' a lot :)

Anyway, was wondering if you guys can recommend some good soprano-metal type bands? The more melodic the better :)

And by way of inclusion and diversity, I should add that I quite enjoyed some of those tracks that came free with the WM1Z :D
EDIT: and I really like Neil Young too, with or without Crazy Horse :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

0766C791-75B7-46E0-A41C-716DBC847B55.jpeg
As an example maybe Floor Jansen before she joined Nightwish in 2015. She hit high notes she was never to hit again with this first “After Forever” album. Also...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabolus_in_Musica

Also Mezzo-soprano with

Their album “The Silent Force” is great too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back