SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #45,121 of 45,723
Yes I have switched back and forth from original stock 3.02 to WM1A/z and chameleon and I like chameleon best. And chameleon works best with the new update that’s coming out real soon as it’s the closest to the stock 1Z sound you can get. I’ve been using it for the past 4-5 days and it’s amazingly surreal. The soundstage, the deep bass and the overall nuances. Takes the 1A to a whole new level. Not subtle. Very much significant and absolutely blissful. Wait for it!
Thanks for this you guys...so lemme find Chameleon right now! I initially liked the 1A/Z+ tuning but after awhile it was just 'meh' and needed to punch things up.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #45,122 of 45,723
me too. I thought, my WM1A was running on WM1AZ+...but then I detected that it was on chameleon running as 1Z.... I experimented half a day and finaly I switched back to 1Z on chameleon. indeed very deep bass and a holistic soundstage. I am quite happy with that...

will new FW be a further improvement???
The new update further elevates the sound. Yes indeed. It’s unbelievable. But you have to be on chameleon and switched to 1Z to get the full effect of what I’m experiencing. It’s a another level. Oh and I have only dsee hx AI and phase lineariser type B low switched on. It’s magic with this combination I described above. After the new update of course.

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #45,123 of 45,723
In this case you probably not to use smart phone as the apps take more profile about you.
I use a dumb phone.
Light phone 2..
I am also trying to stay off the internet as much as possible nowadays...
The news is crazy, and constant negativity that you have absolutely no control over is best avoided.
Almost everything in the news nowadays is a total scam, nothing is what it seems, and a smart phone is your personal window into this complete madness.
Quite a few people I know are getting off the smart phone bandwagon.

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #45,124 of 45,723
The new update further elevates the sound. Yes indeed. It’s unbelievable. But you have to be on chameleon and switched to 1Z to get the full effect of what I’m experiencing. It’s a another level. Oh and I have only dsee hx AI and phase lineariser type B low switched on. It’s magic with this combination I described above. After the new update of course.
Might it require extra work to have it work?

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #45,125 of 45,723
I use a dumb phone.
Light phone 2..
The news is crazy, and constant negativity that you have absolutely no control over is best avoided.
Almost everything in the news nowadays is a total scam, nothing is what it seems, and a smart phone is your personal window into this complete madness.
Bruh...im with you on this. This is why I use daps..early on in my journey, I kept getting interrupted by updates, emails, texts etc. And I noticed on my commuter bus that everyone was doing the same crap like lemmings...thats when I made the break to separate my music from my phone for the better. I enjoy music listening on my commutes, at work and at coffeeshops alot more now.

Also just downloaded Chameleon...all I can say is wow. Its way better than 1A/1Z+..man, Im gonna hook Mr. Dub with more beer at the end of the week. This is night and day difference from the other mods.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #45,126 of 45,723
screenshot_20160101_001406491.png

So big on MrWalkman 1A/1Z+.

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #45,127 of 45,723
Bruh...im with you on this. This is why I use daps..early on in my journey, I kept getting interrupted by updates, emails, texts etc. And I noticed on my commuter bus that everyone was doing the same crap like lemmings...thats when I made the break to separate my music from my phone for the better. I enjoy music listening on my commutes, at work and at coffeeshops alot more now.
This is also one of the reasons why I love the 1A. It's a simple player, and you can just get lost in the music, no beeps/bops, internet connections, interruptions...and with the extended battery, it is the only player to take with you out into nature.
40 hours on a single charge, perfect for camping.

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #45,128 of 45,723
ok, thanks. You really make me curious about it. :)
hopefully MrWalkman will release the update soon. :)))

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #45,129 of 45,723
Indeed - as well as the spatial cues being on an absolutely different level, the first thing I noticed after switching to the new version was that the tonal balance shifted too - not really sure how to describe it other than it "tightening up"...

It is undoubtedly a sideline bonus, yet another thing for me is that with the improved soundstage, detail retrieval seems to have increased.

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #45,130 of 45,723
Sep 16, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #45,131 of 45,723
I use a dumb phone.
Light phone 2..

Also just downloaded Chameleon...all I can say is wow. Its way better than 1A/1Z+..man, Im gonna hook Mr. Dub with more beer at the end of the week. This is night and day difference from the other mods.

Very much agree it's simply gone way too far and mostly driven by corporate greed. I do have an Android based DAP, equally it rarely gets used, the very last thing I want is yet another device with an OS designed first and foremost for the harvesting of personal information. WM1A/Z only presents one thing to the listener high quality music reproduction. Should Sony drop that simple premise, I will drop Sony...

A high end DAP should explicitly be about music, not data acquisition and that's what Google is all and only about...

Q-6

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #45,132 of 45,723
Extra work? Don’t quite get what you mean mate?
Like you install the FW, then Chameleon for it to fully work besides whatever the next steps are after Chameloen?

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #45,133 of 45,723
Indeed - as well as the spatial cues being on an absolutely different level, the first thing I noticed after switching to the new version was that the tonal balance shifted too - not really sure how to describe it other than it "tightening up"...

It is undoubtedly a sideline bonus, yet another thing for me is that with the improved soundstage, detail retrieval seems to have increased.

Very impressive indeed for those who are fans of Chameleon, safe to say the new update is going to ever more popular, as the signature can and does take your breath away...

Q-6

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #45,134 of 45,723
Like you install the FW, then Chameleon for it to fully work besides whatever the next steps are after Chameloen?

That will be clarified on the final release :)

Q-6

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #45,135 of 45,723
@Queen6 beat me to the punch, yes - for those of us that have tested this there has been an extra (easy) step, this will I’m absolutely sure, be integrated in the next release from @MrWalkman

even if I’m wrong / it cannot be done (which I doubt!), it’s super easy, even for us on a testing level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back