SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #44,522 of 45,723
Way more refined mid highs and highs, a bit mods clarity and mp3 does sound way better, less dirty and bit more defined, though even in 16/ 44.1 I can tell the difference right away
I agree except i can hear sounds chaging placement as well but yes clarity suffers a bit you prefer it over standard?

And imagine that a (famous) tuning mod creator (deck24, the person who shared some details about tuning modding, information which was then used to bring the first tuning mods here) was saying that the "DSEE HX AI" setting is actually just a name change of the "Standard" option.

I am sometimes wondering what are tuning mod creators hearing? This is by no means an attack or something, but I just can't help wondering.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #44,524 of 45,723
Had anyone experience with the Koss porta pros? How they sound, I've just heard yheyre pretty good for the $30-40 you can get them. A head-first wants to sell me a pair of modded porta pros but 200€ hm
I really like the Koss Porta Pro - I haven't moded it. To me, they have a Audeze LCD-2 signature in a mini package. After my Sony MDR-51, they are the comfiest on-ear headphone in my collection. With the 1Z, sound get a bit heavy at the bottom end for some, but a bit of eq will fix that. Top end has just the right amount of sparkling. Price is a bit high to me though.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #44,525 of 45,723
Bro, nice Protective rig 👌🏻 Where did you get the fat bear case???

From the manufacturer, however via Taobao so not sure how you could source directly. I imagine the Fatbear hard cases are available on the likes of Amazon or Ebay

Q-6

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #44,526 of 45,723
Got a pair of koss porta pros from amazon for only 40€

You’ll like them. They really do sound great for the money spent. Maybe one of the historic deals out there. I’ve only had a pair since 2018. They are very middle of road. Meaning, coming to them after using more expensive IEMs, the Porta Pros have just enough detail and nothing offensive about their sound signature. Obviously at $60 dollars, they are not quite the same as more expensive headphones but do nothing really wrong for what they are.

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #44,527 of 45,723
Haha sounds like someone on the run..

You gotta step back and look at your life, when you need to do so much, and basically stay off the grid...
Maybe what your doing is not worth the stress.

Not everyone who might be on the run is a criminal. Some could be whistleblowers. Some could be investigative journalists. Some human rights activists. Some crusaders against oppressive regimes. Some ordinary students fighting powerful lobbyists. Risking their lives for the truth that goes on to make the world a safer place. If some of us haven’t died yet because of some contaminated water, it is because a whistleblower or two already died exposing the truth and the people behind it. If I were you, I wouldn’t laugh at someone inquiring about the ability of a DAP like 1A/1Z to stay off-grid and I wouldn’t assume a Lenny Bruce to be an OJ Simpson by default. False notions spread faster than truth. And that’s the real enemy.

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #44,528 of 45,723
C4CDAF53-DC60-4399-B7DF-50B6A2F3AE47.jpeg
AF06422A-6E36-4E69-89AA-EF083140F0F8.jpeg

https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2020/08/custom-sony-walkman-firmware-by.html?m=1
MrWalkman, a user from Head-fi, has created 3 custom firmwares for the NW-A40, NW-ZX300 and NW-WM1/A. The new firmwares bring improved sound and features. I would highly recommend anyone with these Walkmans to check out the firmware, especially on the NW-A40.

Here is an overview of the changes in firmware:

NW-A40

There are 2 versions, Reloaded and Reloaded+. The Reloaded+ version brings "a different sound than the normal version, and a slightly improved battery life". Both add the following:

• New, improved sound
  • High gain setting
  • Bluetooth Receiver function
  • 10 band equalizer
  • DSEE HX AI (from DMP-Z1) and other 4 selectable DSEE HX modes
  • DC Phase Linearizer with 6 selectable modes
  • Vinyl Processor with 4 selectable modes
  • Visualizers: Spectrum Analyzer/Analog VU Meter/Digital Peak Meter
  • Hardware accelerated rendition of the UI
The following features have been removed:

• FM Radio
  • Noise cancellation
  • Language study
  • VPT Surround
  • ClearAudio+
If you use any of the above features regularly, then do not install the firmware as these will disappear. Of course you can always revert back to the original stock firmware as well, so if you want to just test out the firmware that is also possible.

The instructions and download links can be found in MrWalkman's post on Head-fi.

NW-ZX300

The custom ZX300 firmware brings the following improvements:

• Improvements to the sound
  • DSEE HX AI (present on DMP-Z1)
  • Improved battery life
  • Hardware accelerated rendition of the UI (faster menus)
To find the firmware, check out MrWalkman's post on Head-fi. The firmware is not permanent, and you can switch back to the old original firmware if you wish.

NW-WM1/A

Finally for those lucky to own the WM-Series, a custom firmware also exists by MrWalkman. The changes include the following:

• Switching the model (from "Settings" > "Device Settings")
  • DSEE HX AI (present on DMP-Z1)
  • Hardware accelerated rendition of the UI
The link to firmware is in MrWalkman's post on Head-fi.

For any questions about the firmware or troubleshooting, I would post them in their respective threads on Head-Fi. Thanks again to MrWalkman for providing the custom firmwares. Please consider donating to MrWalkman using Paypal to help him develop more custom firmwares in the future.

NW-A40 thread

NW-ZX300 thread

NW-WM1/A thread

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #44,529 of 45,723
Amigos, is it possible to connect the NW-WM1x to a Chord Hugo 2 with a digital cable to use the walkman as a transport the the Hugo 2 as a dac / amp?

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #44,531 of 45,723
From the manufacturer, however via Taobao so not sure how you could source directly. I imagine the Fatbear hard cases are available on the likes of Amazon or Ebay

Q-6

Thanks, I ordered the case on Amazon but the hard case is hard to find. I’m well aware of Taobao but I hate to use the agents to ship overseas! I will try AliExpress if they have it there. Thanks.

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #44,532 of 45,723
I had these headphones several years ago. They are good for home use, not for commuting. And they tear out your hair by the way. As my wife said - if you gonna cut your hair, go to the barber instead :)

This is actual media photo from Koss, looks like they are very serious about the cutting hair part.
Koss-Porta-Pro_KTC_3.jpg

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #44,533 of 45,723
Sep 10, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #44,534 of 45,723
Amigos, is it possible to connect the NW-WM1x to a Chord Hugo 2 with a digital cable to use the walkman as a transport the the Hugo 2 as a dac / amp?

No.... no spdif or even line out with WM1 serie.
There are just the 3.5mm or 4.4mm can be used (set them in low gain) for analog amp..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back