Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #43,996 of 45,723
IMG_20200831_183838.jpg
IRiver S10 Vs. Wm1a (1a++, J)?
:)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #43,998 of 45,723
Hi all, I'm back, as I just reordered the 1A. I had ordered the 1A earlier in the year, and ended up returning it within its return period because I had also bought the TA and felt that they were redundant. Well, I always missed the 1A, and as I needed second amp/dac for my bedroom, I ordered the iBasso DX220 Max (approxim same power as the TA) but canceled this order when I got cold feet about spending $1900 on a DAP that I had never heard. Also, I realized that the sound I had gotten from the 1A was not completely what I'd expected mostly because of the iems I had been using which were the Shure SE846. There's either an issue with the power output or the impedance with the 846/1A match, and I decided that there are many other much betters choices of iems to use with the 1A. I've since bought two other pairs of iems, both of which are known to be better with the 1A. This time around I'd like to mod my firmware to make it sound as much like the 1Z as possible. Can someone send me step-by-step instructions? I only have a Mac but am considering how I might be able to get my hands on a PC to make the change..

What was wrong with the pairing of the 1A and the se846? Did you use the balanced port?

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #44,000 of 45,723
I spoke with Johnny of accessory Jack. He will source me a MMCX assist thingy (final audio's magic plastic thing that removes MMCX cables in a snap). Aside asked why no DMP-Z1 anymore. He told me they pulled it out of their listing as it is damn expensive... and lastly XBA-Z5 he cannot source as it is discontinued.

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #44,001 of 45,723
How is the nwwm1 case vs the Dignis case? I have the Dignis but I like the idea of a hard cover for the screen over the glass screen protector I’m using now.
Does the “clip” for the flip cover wear out? Is the flip cover awkward while browsing? The WM1Z is so heavy I hate the thought of accidentally dropping it face down without a cover. Not likely but the first time could be the last.

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #44,002 of 45,723
How is the nwwm1 case vs the Dignis case? I have the Dignis but I like the idea of a hard cover for the screen over the glass screen protector I’m using now.
Does the “clip” for the flip cover wear out? Is the flip cover awkward while browsing? The WM1Z is so heavy I hate the thought of accidentally dropping it face down without a cover. Not likely but the first time could be the last.

The Sony case is a bummer, in my opinion.
first of all it takes up SO much space when you open it, and second you have to Keep it open to charge the WM. Lastly, it doesn’t cover the sides, buttons or top connectors are at all.

pass!!!

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #44,003 of 45,723
The Sony case is a bummer, in my opinion.
first of all it takes up SO much space when you open it, and second you have to Keep it open to charge the WM. Lastly, it doesn’t cover the sides, buttons or top connectors are at all.

pass!!!

Thanks! Will do...
The charging thing sure seems like an oversight. That alone is the killer

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #44,004 of 45,723
I spoke with Johnny of accessory Jack. He will source me a MMCX assist thingy (final audio's magic plastic thing that removes MMCX cables in a snap). Aside asked why no DMP-Z1 anymore. He told me they pulled it out of their listing as it is damn expensive... and lastly XBA-Z5 he cannot source as it is discontinued.
You can buy the Final tool here for $10

https://www.mtmtaudio.com/collectio...o-mmcx-assist-for-in-ear-monitor-iem-earphone

However these might not work with the current Sony IEM’s recessed sockets.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #44,006 of 45,723

Short demo with no talking.

DJs have always had to try and manually separate elements for remixes though now due to AI they are finally able to remove and isolate various parts like drums and vocals on the fly.

This must mean the new generation of DAPs with complex AI will allow us to isolate and listen to fragments of songs. Like the vocals.......... simply listen to the entire vocal track. Want to learn the bass, isolate and concentrate on how the bass track was played. Want to bring the drums up in the mix, simply push the drum volume up.

Sadly this also showcases the reality of the digital file being believed and trusted. The bass player leaves a band. There is nothing stopping that person from making a digital counterfeit copy with a different mix and labeling it on line as a producer mix original.

As AI progresses Deep Fakes in the audio industry will threaten our concept of digital files representing reality.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #44,007 of 45,723
Another question for all you smart people. A friend of mine has a Lotoo Paw S1 and I wanted to try it, among other external dac/amps just for the sake of "reviewing" or trying out new gear but someone in this post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-solaris.891180/post-15766314 tried hooking it up to the WM1Z but to no avail. It seemed like they were communicating but there was no sound and, to quote:
"Just tried the S1 with WM1Z and I couldn’t get it to output any sound. The WM1Z is transporting to the S1 and the s1 is recognising the signal (says it’s playing 44.1/16bit) but there’s no audio. Then when I try to change song on the WM1Z, the walkman freezes and I have to unplug the adaptor to get it to unfreeze, and then it shows an error message “cannot play audio”

I wondered if anyone would know why and if it's a simple remedy or is there something inherent such that it's not going to work.. I was thinking of getting one of those WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cables but don't want to bother if it's not going to work..

Thanks again.

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #44,008 of 45,723
Another question for all you smart people. A friend of mine has a Lotoo Paw S1 and I wanted to try it, among other external dac/amps just for the sake of "reviewing" or trying out new gear but someone in this post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-solaris.891180/post-15766314 tried hooking it up to the WM1Z but to no avail. It seemed like they were communicating but there was no sound and, to quote:
"Just tried the S1 with WM1Z and I couldn’t get it to output any sound. The WM1Z is transporting to the S1 and the s1 is recognising the signal (says it’s playing 44.1/16bit) but there’s no audio. Then when I try to change song on the WM1Z, the walkman freezes and I have to unplug the adaptor to get it to unfreeze, and then it shows an error message “cannot play audio”

I wondered if anyone would know why and if it's a simple remedy or is there something inherent such that it's not going to work.. I was thinking of getting one of those WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cables but don't want to bother if it's not going to work..

Thanks again.

That was my post :) I was using the WMC-NWH10 and it wasn’t working. Still can’t get it to work unfortunately

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #44,009 of 45,723
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/sbranson.345753/

I did the same thing with the FiiO Alpen 2 E-17K. I could get the E-17K to recognize the Walkman and it played the 24bit songs but only in a staggering and start and stopping way? Not all digital stuff works together. I could not get the 1Z to act as a digital transport to the DACMagic 2 either.

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #44,010 of 45,723
That was my post :) I was using the WMC-NWH10 and it wasn’t working. Still can’t get it to work unfortunately

I remember.., it just occurred to me though to open up the question to some of the other Sony people. Hopefully I wasn’t taken as being disparaging as that wasn’t my intention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back