SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #43,681 of 45,723
I've got them from new not a long ago, a nice pair with my 1A - got maybe 20 hrs of listening
on them so they are still burning in IMO. I have a feeling that a sound stage have been getting wider
throughout those hours - maybe due to burning in in progress, or 'cos my brain is getting adjusted to the new source, or both.. It was always a tricky question. :)

Yes same with me, in fact I sold them very quickly, at the moment I have the original Z7 but I dont have the wm1a sold it too :frowning2: now I am using them with a fiio m11pro and ibasso dx200 amp8, so I didnt use the wm1a with the z7 original only with the z7m2.

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #43,684 of 45,723
I am sure this question has already been answered in one of the 2912 prior pages but I struggled to find the answer.

I have a new to me wm1z on the way. I would like to connect it to the usb type b input on my DAC. I think that the best way to do this would be to purchase the Walkman Cradle BCR-NWH10 for NW-ZX2/ZX1/A10/F880. That would then allow me to use the digital out on the cradle and connect with a USB type A to B cable, I could just use a printer cable for that matter. If you have any other suggestions I am open. Thanks.

John

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #43,685 of 45,723
I am sure this question has already been answered in one of the 2912 prior pages but I struggled to find the answer.

I have a new to me wm1z on the way. I would like to connect it to the usb type b input on my DAC. I think that the best way to do this would be to purchase the Walkman Cradle BCR-NWH10 for NW-ZX2/ZX1/A10/F880. That would then allow me to use the digital out on the cradle and connect with a USB type A to B cable, I could just use a printer cable for that matter. If you have any other suggestions I am open. Thanks.

John

That's the expensive option, the cheaper option is to purchase the Sony WMC-NWH10 USB cable and then attach a USB cable to this and to your DAC.

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #43,686 of 45,723
That's the expensive option, the cheaper option is to purchase the Sony WMC-NWH10 USB cable and then attach a USB cable to this and to your DAC.

Thank you!!!

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #43,687 of 45,723
So for portable storage capacity, how much is enough for everyone? 256GB UHS II vs 512GB UHS I vs 1TB UHS I are my choices.

I have a 512GB Samsung Evo Select card that fits most of my music collection (AIFF and MP3; 44kHz/16bit to 192kHz/24bit).

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #43,689 of 45,723
I had a Macbook for work, and I was trying to enable some kind of direct mode for Roon. This was useful for getting Roon to directly access the DAC, bypassing the MacOS CoreAudio sound API.

Doing this involved replacing the CoreAudio KEXT with a previous version of that file. I know for sure it was a painful process, but for MacOS users it could be useful as you should do it once and then you should be able to freely use any firmware installer from there on.

This link contains the tutorial for replacing the KEXT file, and the tutorial should be also usable for placing other KEXT files in there. If it's not too complicated, maybe you could try this method and do a tutorial for it, if it works, @Lookout57.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqeai0fs8m5o5ey/AudirvanaCatalinaDirectMode.zip?dl=0

Edit: I succeeded in doing the KEXT thing by the way, and all worked as intended. :)
I am going to try this later. Thank you

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #43,690 of 45,723
While I really liked the sound on the Z5 I find the Z1R to be superior. Also the Z5 had the worst and most uncomfortable fit of any universal iem I have ever tried.
For me it's the other way around. Z5 fits perfect, won't slip out or cause ear ache... Z1R is intolerable after 30-45 mins

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #43,691 of 45,723
Aug 25, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #43,692 of 45,723
I've got them from new not a long ago, a nice pair with my 1A - got maybe 20 hrs of listening
on them so they are still burning in IMO. I have a feeling that a sound stage have been getting wider
throughout those hours - maybe due to burning in in progress, or 'cos my brain is getting adjusted to the new source, or both.. It was always a tricky question. :)

Normally you don’t have to do much burn in with headphones or iems. But in the case of the Sony Liquid Crystal Polymer Drivers, it is a very stiff material and will need time to loosen up. After about 200hours of usage, you should notice the 1AM2 sounding more dynamic, especially in the bass response and also the vocals being more transparent and not veiled as before.

I find that with DSEE HX AI, the 1AM2 has great soundstage. Nothing to complain at all.

One recommendation I will make is to use DC Phase Linearizer Type B Low for 1AM2, it keeps the bass transients from overtaking the whole sound spectrum.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #43,693 of 45,723
For me it's the other way around. Z5 fits perfect, won't slip out or cause ear ache... Z1R is intolerable after 30-45 mins
Exactly my experience too as i have stated before. Z5 fits me perfectly and sounds much better than Z1R to my ears. I re-iterate, music is meant for enjoyment and not for analysing. Z1R is very clinical sounding and harsh overall. Never as smooth as Z5.

Aug 26, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #43,695 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back