SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #42,451 of 45,723
Does anyone know if there is any way that you could modify (or if a mod already exists) that makes it so that it doesnt have to load the library every single time you turn it on. Like a manual library scan like almost every other DAP in existence. It's so frustrating.

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #42,452 of 45,723
You got me. To be honest, I think the entire hi-res discussion is pointless given how bad music albums keep being mastered and compressed, but it's something that Sony has been pushing to the consumers as the first DAP I ever saw with the sticker was the NW-A10. Now manufacturers even pack extra hi-res sticker in the boxes which is even more ridiculous. Personally, I got a bunch of those "It'a Sony" stickers that I grew up with - now, that's a sticker I would put on a Walkman.

As highlighted, as long as the industry serves the "Airpods crowd" what the player can delver is academic as for true high quality playback of music, it has to be right all the way through; from the recording to the head gear and everything in the middle. Best solution is to get your music from where you know it's good, and pick your hardware to your taste. Having a High Res sticker isn't by default going to equate to a more enjoyable sound signature, just a greater range that may or may not be well implemented.

High Res is mostly what it is, a marketing term, presenting bigger numbers for the uninformed...

Q-6

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #42,453 of 45,723
Does anyone know if there is any way that you could modify (or if a mod already exists) that makes it so that it doesnt have to load the library every single time you turn it on. Like a manual library scan like almost every other DAP in existence. It's so frustrating.
As long as you haven't made major changes to the files on the player 3.02 or any of the modified versions will rebuild quickly.

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #42,454 of 45,723
As long as you haven't made major changes to the files on the player 3.02 or any of the modified versions will rebuild quickly.
It still takes like 30 or 45 seconds, which is on top of the turning on sequence which is also annoying. In any case theres no good reason that it should have to go through that every single time it's turned one.

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #42,455 of 45,723
Unlike Android based players, the standby on the Sony is a week or more.

So unless you aren't using it for a week or more there is no need to turn it off.

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #42,456 of 45,723
i leave mine on all the time , since 8 hours is usually the most idle time between listening sessions so i see no point turning it on/off all the time

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #42,457 of 45,723
Here is a very high level comparison - https://numato.com/blog/differences-between-fpga-and-asics/

ASIC chips (Application Specific Integrated Circuits) are just as the name implies - manufactured for a specific application. FPGA chips are general purpose devices where one can burn in code to make it do specific applications. Because FPGA chips need to be general purpose, they are physically larger, consume more power, and cannot run as efficiently as ASIC. However, even with ASIC there is a further refinement. All ESS, AKM, BB, TI DAC chips are ASIC, but each of their ASIC DACs support multiple audio applications and uses so there are added features and power consumption that doesn't always benefit DAP applications. Sony has taken the ASIC benefits and taken it to an even more specific use - only for 2 channel audio output for low power (Class D). Add in Sony specific DSP features and you got a DAC chip that only works for Sony.

Basically Sony is the only audio device maker who also has their own proprietary ASIC that is purely built for their specific devices and nobody else. I am only commenting on the physical DAC chip and not the whole device. Clearly the FPGA chips have allowed Chord to come out with high end DACs to a niche market and they have one of the best audio engineers in the world who develops the DAC code for their FPGA chips so his algorithms are optimized for their application. However, that same FPGA chip is used by hundreds of other companies for thousands of other applications so it's safe to assume there are at least a few features/pins of the FPGA chip that Chord doesn't use.
Excellently said! I love the ASIC on the Sony devices. There are distinctive differences from Chord FPGA DAVE vs DMP And the lowers noises could be observe, together with more effortless and virtually zero grains in high spectrums !!! This very same system is inside Walkman Wm1A and Z as well
Definitely is loving Sony for how well their devices are engineered

Many people question This though...why did Sony not marketing this ? Or word salads it up

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #42,458 of 45,723
Unlike Android based players, the standby on the Sony is a week or more.

So unless you aren't using it for a week or more there is no need to turn it off.
Thats just it. Sometimes I don't use it for over a week. Even when It's just a couple of days I prefer for the battery to be as close to fully charged as possible so that if I have to run I can listen without worrying if the battery is going to die while im out. Besides the less charge/discharge cycles it goes through, the better it is for the overall battery life expectancy. It doesnt seem like it's something so ridiculous since my 15 year old ipod video 5.5 could go for over a month without charging on standby, had a sleep mode that it awakened from easily, and never needed to reload it's library every time it was turned on. I can't understand why the sony developers made it the way it was.

Aug 4, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #42,459 of 45,723
never needed to reload it's library every time it was turned on. I can't understand why the sony developers made it the way it was.

I guess it's just one of the idiosyncrasy of Sony.

Although they have removed the database scanning on startup with the ZX507 Walkman, now it only does scanning after you disconnect usb file transfer.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #42,460 of 45,723

Although they have removed the database scanning on startup with the ZX507 Walkman, now it only does scanning after you disconnect usb file transfer.

Maybe a firmware update will do the same to the WM1A/Z.

Aug 4, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #42,461 of 45,723

Just to be accurate - It was 3.01 firmware rebuilt the database every time you turned the DAP on. They fixed it on 3.02 so that the rebuild only looks for changes since last scan and does an incremental index if new files are detected. Unfortunately, it's not a very fast process and if you don't have a lot of files, 3.01 and 3.02 may have the same amount of lag. In my case, I have over 14K files and 3.01 took so long, I just left it on. But with 3.02, it's maybe 30 sec or so which I can live with. Definitely could be faster, but 3.02 only does incremental index of new files since last scan.

Also to your point, it shouldn't need to rescan when going in/out of DAC mode. But for data transfer mode, it makes sense because it avoids a full reboot for your new tracks to show up.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #42,462 of 45,723
Thats just it. Sometimes I don't use it for over a week. Even when It's just a couple of days I prefer for the battery to be as close to fully charged as possible so that if I have to run I can listen without worrying if the battery is going to die while im out. Besides the less charge/discharge cycles it goes through, the better it is for the overall battery life expectancy. It doesnt seem like it's something so ridiculous since my 15 year old ipod video 5.5 could go for over a month without charging on standby, had a sleep mode that it awakened from easily, and never needed to reload it's library every time it was turned on. I can't understand why the sony developers made it the way it was.
Even if you are down to 1 bar after a week you still have 4-5 hours of playback.

Aug 4, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #42,463 of 45,723
Excellently said! I love the ASIC on the Sony devices. There are distinctive differences from Chord FPGA DAVE vs DMP And the lowers noises could be observe, together with more effortless and virtually zero grains in high spectrums !!! This very same system is inside Walkman Wm1A and Z as well
Definitely is loving Sony for how well their devices are engineered

Many people question This though...why did Sony not marketing this ? Or word salads it up

I feel that what chord has mentioned in the video above makes sense. However their implementation of the chord Hugo 2 hardware isn't masterful as compared to the lower priced Sony WM1A.

This post describes what's wrong with hugo 2
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-hugo-2-the-official-thread.831345/post-13567959

When it comes to sound quality, it's not just solely about algorithms or hardware. It's the sum of all parts. Right down to designing a rigid internal frame to manage the micro-vibrations that affects the stability of the word clock oscillator.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #42,464 of 45,723
Orignally posted in the zx507 thread but I have updated some parts so reposting here again for reference. You can also use these points to evaluate custom firmwares.

This is my main evaluation points that I came out with when it comes to auditioning of gears like DAP and Headphones. You may use any songs which are familiar to you, Hope this would serve as a guide for those who are trying to evaluate many gears at one time and trying to find out if the equipment is right for you.

Bass:
How Fast?
How Punchy?
How Weighty?
How Deep?
Any Decay? Is it too fast or too slow or just right?
Does it feel one noted?
How is the texture of the drum beats? Does it allow you to hear the difference between big and small drums
Does it showcase the skill and strength of the drummer?
How does it integrate into the midrange? Does it cause coloration of the vocals?

Equalization:
How well does it handle Equalization? Try pushing the Bass, Mids and Treble up one by one and see if the equipment distorts

Vocals:
Are Female Vocals sibilant?
Are the Male Vocal throaty/Manly enough?
Are there any unusual graininess in the vocals?
How are the vocals presented in the sound stage?

Treble:
Is overly bright or too dark or just right?
Can you feel any airness?

Timbre:
Violins and Strings, does it sound silky smooth or just a blurry mess?
Piano: Does it have overtones, decays and the striking sound of hammer(in some recordings)
Guitar: Does it have Twanginess
Distortion Guitar: Is it fast enough to deliver all the nuances of the distortion?
Shaker instruments: does the sound of the beads shaking sound well defined and moving around?

Coloration:
Is it warm or neutral or cold/sterile?
Are there any parts of the frequency spectrum which stands out too much or too little? (Try playing frequency sweep)

Soundstage:
Is it 3D like? Does it present layers? How is the vocal positioned in relation to the other elements?
How much Depth?
How much Width, Is it too wide or too narrow or just right?
How much height? (this is pretty hard to identify with most ordinary gears, live recorded music is recommended)
Stereo Panning: Is the left and right channel Independent from each other?

Dynamics, Micro-detail, Timing/Speed:
Does the loud transient feel right? Is it too slow, too fast or just right?
Does Cymbals Clashes sound right? Is it overly sharp or too recessed or just right?
How is the hand-clapping sound from the audience, does it sound real? Is it blurry or well defined(texture wise)
Can you hear the "air intake/exhale" from the singer?
Does it portray the emotions(vocal chord straining) from the singer well?

Volume Control/Loudness Handling:
Does it provide enough detail when you play at very low volume levels? Any noticable hissing?
Does it distort/congest when you try to play at extreme high volume levels? (e.g. overshouty)

And the final question would be:

Do you find the equipment to provide you with an extremely satisfying sound quality experience that you don’t wish to stop listening at all? That’s when you know this equipment is a keeper or not. Trust your own ears and instincts as everyone listens to different music genres and also have a certain sound signature preferences. One man’s meat is another man’s poison applies here.

Hope this will help you guys to find the proper gear.
can you send me a private msg thank you

Aug 4, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #42,465 of 45,723
I have integrated "Cerberus" toward @MrWalkman 1A/Z + Brilliantly made FirmWare. Just as Promised to people who have requested previously. It is named Cerberus + as the + is to honor @MrWalkman creation 1A/Z +

This is the combinations of Works from @Morgenstern09 @Morbideath , myself and thanks to @MrWalkman brilliant works. We have yet again to witness another level of performances improvements by firmware , We are Stronger Together !! Until Giant Sony request it down

After Beta testers, Cerberus is friendly and also showing improvements toward Stock and modified Hardware Walkman

Disclaimers: Your preferences may be different from Mine, and Cerberus, and therefore If it doesnt suite your taste, please consider reverting back to stock, or @MrWalkman , or any other so desired firmwares. Also, I no longer have Walkman to test ride this tuning with you. Beta Testers majorily "likes" it

You can Download this File here
Download this Model Switcher Here

Steps by Steps

1/ Download Model Switcher
2/ Run Windows Batch File
3/ Switch to DMP Z1 Model
4/ Restart Very Important
5/ Recommended but not Neccessary (Check your Model by using Model Switcher and make sure it is DMP Z1)
6/ Download Firmware
7/ Install

You may be prompted by AntiVirus and blah....blah....but you are all safe

EU model
s may have problem installing it
[/QUOTE
Thanks a lot MrWalkman. 1A+ 3.00 is my favourite now.
its my favorite since 1983 the year i was born

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back