SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #42,301 of 45,723
No issues for me. Bluetooth works rock solid with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. You’re referring to the Bluetooth receiver pairing right?

Yes, correct. My phone recently updated to iOS 13.6 and that seems to be when the issue started. I checked the iPhone threads and couldn't find any wide spread issues w/bluetooth connectivity.

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #42,302 of 45,723
I am very convinced that it will be an Android system to enable high res streaming. I think, days for single WalkmanOS will be counted. Even I prefer this very intuitive and simple OS to Android.... But I don't expect a successor in 2020. Earliest in end 21 or even later... If the flag ship series will be continued at all....
I doubt they will use Android for high end players like the WM1x or it's successors and will stick with their custom Linux OS. Android is a general purpose OS that can do many things. As such it contains a lot of bloat that isn't needed for serious music listening and effects battery life.

The one thing that drew me to the WM1x was it not using Android or having streaming capabilities. There is a market for this and steaming capable players like the ZX-500.

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #42,303 of 45,723
I doubt they will use Android for high end players like the WM1x or it's successors and will stick with their custom Linux OS. Android is a general purpose OS that can do many things. As such it contains a lot of bloat that isn't needed for serious music listening and effects battery life.

The one thing that drew me to the WM1x was it not using Android or having streaming capabilities. There is a market for this and steaming capable players like the ZX-500.
I am not big into streaming, I also have capable devices such as Dx220Max ...etc...even my desktop PC isn’t streaming anything.

Streaming services is a thing, it own player has it own quality is another matter....etc...

I found that it is best be using nonOS, offline storage, good Memory SD, and stock player app for the best performances

That is how I am using my DMP. Sometimes I can stream Bluetooth into it, and uses DSEEHX but still ... those were never a decisive points. Instead, the decisive points for me was the actual WalkmanOS and non Android with Zero WiFi ...though I don’t know why NFC is a thing LOL

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #42,304 of 45,723
Ahh. @MrWalkman should be able to help you with that. He has had his fair share of that.
Thats news to me.
In fact, that's the first time I ever heard of anyone having a "boot loop".
Normal installations even the moded firmwares are solid, so would have to do something irregular to get a boot loop, like play with a boot program.

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #42,305 of 45,723

Not to mention android has the infamous SRC which must be circumvented.

I personally don't need streaming as I have a carefully-curated library is with mor than 57600 tracks

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #42,306 of 45,723
Yes, correct. My phone recently updated to iOS 13.6 and that seems to be when the issue started. I checked the iPhone threads and couldn't find any wide spread issues w/bluetooth connectivity.
I’m on ios13.6 as well. Do you try removing the pairing in both your Walkman and iPhone and tried to repair again?

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #42,307 of 45,723
Thats news to me.
Normal installations even the moded firmwares are solid, so would have to do something irregular to get a boot loop, like play with a boot program.
Yep. The path to releasing the greatly modded firmwares we are all enjoying now has not had it’s light shine so bright all the time. Let’s just say he can now unbrick the Walkman comfortably and with no worries.

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #42,308 of 45,723
Not to mention android has the infamous SRC which must be circumvented.

I personally don't need streaming as I have a carefully-curated library is with mor than 57600 tracks
Hell, I don’t usually use search function, but I found that having 1Tb of music collections and the needs to specifically go for some tracks is a little worrisome...

I am almost sure that the successor of Signature series will have more power output. This was a problem that plague the S-Master for so many years and through many generations of modern Walkman. It is now solved with either Active Ground control from TA ZH1ES or using GAN FET such as SAZ1

I think signature series may no longer have copper and gold plated chassis ? I could be wrong, but judging by the technologies within DMP Z1. There are better ways to get the Sony house sound without the expensive, exotic, Fancy Full OFC Goldplated chassis. One example is to utilize the Inner frame constructions as you can see on many Walkman including 1A/Z

I am almost sure that it would still have walkmanOS.

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #42,309 of 45,723
Thats news to me.

It has been mentioned a couple of times over the years in this thread

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #42,310 of 45,723
Hell, I don’t usually use search function, but I found that having 1Tb of music collections and the needs to specifically go for some tracks is a little worrisome...

I am almost sure that the successor of Signature series will have more power output. This was a problem that plague the S-Master for so many years and through many generations of modern Walkman. It is now solved with either Active Ground control from TA ZH1ES or using GAN FET such as SAZ1

I think signature series may no longer have copper and gold plated chassis ? I could be wrong, but judging by the technologies within DMP Z1. There are better ways to get the Sony house sound without the expensive, exotic, Fancy Full OFC Goldplated chassis. One example is to utilize the Inner frame constructions as you can see on many Walkman including 1A/Z

I am almost sure that it would still have walkmanOS.
I usually don't search, I play album after album

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #42,311 of 45,723
I’m on ios13.6 as well. Do you try removing the pairing in both your Walkman and iPhone and tried to repair again?

Yes, but "forget the device" didn't help either. I just did a "reset all settings" on the iPhone and that worked. It's odd but that never happened with any of the previous iOS updates. I have an iPhone 8 which is approaching end of life so that may be part of it.

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #42,312 of 45,723
Yes, but "forget the device" didn't help either. I just did a "reset all settings" on the iPhone and that worked. It's odd but that never happened with any of the previous iOS updates. I have an iPhone 8 which is approaching end of life so that may be part of it.

My iPhone8 did not experience such a problem after the iOS 13.6 upgrade

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #42,313 of 45,723
Yep. The path to releasing the greatly modded firmwares we are all enjoying now has not had it’s light shine so bright all the time. Let’s just say he can now unbrick the Walkman comfortably and with no worries.
Agreed, happened with mine and @MrWalkman sorted it out.

Aug 2, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #42,314 of 45,723
This was a problem that plague the S-Master for so many years and through many generations of modern Walkman. It is now solved with either Active Ground control from TA ZH1ES or using GAN FET such as SAZ1
This is good news, because I have heard almost every dac topology out there. All the top stuff. 4 type Ladder dacs, many AKM & LeSabre dac types(they're much much better now) and custom chip like Chord types (Dave,Hugo,mojo)....
They all have their type of signature AND pacing, and timbre.

Before I heard the Sony, the Ladder (in general) dacs had the lead on realism and solidity of timbre and also pacing, but the Sony brings a characteristic that has alluded most of the other type dacs, and that is of musically and organic sound.

I feel the Sony Smaster chip avoids many of the pitfalls of the other dacs, and sounds closer to actuall source file.

I believe they need to stay with this topology Wich they also describe as straight from the digital domain to Audio output.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #42,315 of 45,723
It has been mentioned a couple of times over the years in this thread
Sadly it might be a future of The Unberable Lightness Of Being...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back