SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #42,196 of 45,723
What I did is a screen capture of what is seen in Kid3.

The official tag name is "AlbumSortOrder". I verified this in Metadatics where it is showing that name for that field when I show all tags.

I used SortAlbum when I tried which probably explains why it didn’t work. I’ll try with AlbumSortOrder

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #42,197 of 45,723
Really looks complicated.
Is it possible to do those options with mp3 tag?

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #42,198 of 45,723
Jul 31, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #42,199 of 45,723
Really looks complicated.
Is it possible to do those options with mp3 tag?

Yes, I am doing all of mine in MP3tag. I bulk copy the album name to AlbumSortOrder, then I manually add the three digit sorting number in front of the album name.

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #42,200 of 45,723

All of the tags listed here are the official ID3 version 2.3 tag names and are recognized by the WM1 and should be recognized by any other DAP. I will say the ALBUMSORTORDER is not recognized by the sound system in my car.

Just take sure that any tag editor you use uses these as the actual tags they are writing

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #42,201 of 45,723
Thanks. I was using artistsort and albumsort from MP3Tag I think. I will have to look at it again, because I would think MP3Tag would be using ID3 tags, so I could be wrong.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #42,202 of 45,723
No they are not sorted that way under Artist view.

For the Eagles I have the albums On the Border and Hotel California. So for each here is screen captures of each:

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 1.46.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-31 at 1.46.59 PM.png

When I look at the Eagles under Artist view, On the Border is shown before Hotel California. If it wasn't using that or before I added the numbers to Sort Album, Hotel California would be listed before On the Border.

How do we do a screen capture again on the Sony? I'll take one to show you it in action.
Omg, my head spins 😅😂🤣🤣

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #42,203 of 45,723
Thanks. I was using artistsort and albumsort from MP3Tag I think. I will have to look at it again, because I would think MP3Tag would be using ID3 tags, so I could be wrong.

MP3tag uses ArtistSort and AlbumSort, but I think they get mapped to other names such as ArtistSortOrder and AlbumSortOrder.

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #42,204 of 45,723
You are incorrect, the album sort tag is used.

In the player under Settings -> Playback Settings -> Artist List Display I have Album Artist.

Then when I view an artist all of the albums are listed ordered by Sort Album tag. The albums are listed alphabetically based on the tag or if there is no tag. In my case I start the Sort Album with a number to force the order

I’ve just reread my post and it was a typo, it does use those tags! I’m pretty sure when I first had my player I had some artists such as The Beatles filed under B and others filed under T

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #42,205 of 45,723
I’ve just reread my post and it was a typo, it does use those tags! I’m pretty sure when I first had my player I had some artists such as The Beatles filed under B and others filed under T

I have that issue . So it means I need to fix the tags somewhere?

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #42,206 of 45,723
Hi Guys

I'm extremely late to the party here, so my apologies for this post! But purpose of post is that I'm looking for a little advice and assistance from this excellent community. (Flattery gets you everywhere :relaxed: - but I do mean it!)

I sold my 1A a little while after getting the 1Z. Looks like that may have been a mistake given the improvements now on offer? Anyway, I love the stock 1Z and feel it's definitely step up from stock 1A, and regardless, I am where I am. I've had the 1Z for around 8 weeks now and I'm still only on the hour count of 260 (I don't get as much time with it as I'd like! - and still burning in?).

Anyway, my questions, to those that have the 1Z: What custom firmware are you guys using? Is anyone still using stock firmware? Are the new custom firmwares completely safe, and can I go back to stock firmware without any hassle? And can someone point me in the right direction of where to to find the firmware and some brief layman's terms of how to install as what I have skim read, it all appears a little confusing to me with switcher, region etc. Oh, and just to note, in case this makes a difference, my 1Z was purchased within the EU so had the volume cap - although I took that straight off by changing the region to J.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #42,207 of 45,723
For Sort Artist, if the artist name starts with "The", I drop it like iTunes does. So for "The Beatles" Sort Artist, the Sort Artist is "Beatles". For people I use last name, first name like "Hendrix, Jimi". That way Hendrix is under H and not J.

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #42,208 of 45,723
Hi Guys

I'm extremely late to the party here, so my apologies for this post! But purpose of post is that I'm looking for a little advice and assistance from this excellent community. (Flattery gets you everywhere :relaxed: - but I do mean it!)

I sold my 1A a little while after getting the 1Z. Looks like that may have been a mistake given the improvements now on offer? Anyway, I love the stock 1Z and feel it's definitely step up from stock 1A, and regardless, I am where I am. I've had the 1Z for around 8 weeks now and I'm still only on the hour count of 260 (I don't get as much time with it as I'd like! - and still burning in?).

Anyway, my questions, to those that have the 1Z: What custom firmware are you guys using? Is anyone still using stock firmware? Are the new custom firmwares completely safe, and can I go back to stock firmware without any hassle? And can someone point me in the right direction of where to to find the firmware and some brief layman's terms of how to install as what I have skim read, it all appears a little confusing to me with switcher, region etc. Oh, and just to note, in case this makes a difference, my 1Z was purchased within the EU so had the volume cap - although I took that straight off by changing the region to J.

Thanks in advance!
The firmwares are completely safe to use.

I have both the 1A and 1Z and have only used the custom firmware on the 1A. I've been busy comparing how the 1A stock and a 1A switched to a 1Z compare to a real 1Z. Next up is to compare the + version on the 1A and 1Z. But so far the 1Z stock is better to me is than a 1A switched to 1Z.

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #42,209 of 45,723
I have that issue . So it means I need to fix the tags somewhere?
Only you you want to have it work this way.

It's a PitA to clean up, but to me worth it in the end.

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #42,210 of 45,723
Only you you want to have it work this way.

It's a PitA to clean up, but to me worth it in the end.

Scanning better album pictures, adding sort tags has taken all most a month and I am just 25% through albumsort, but after the next 75% I am done. I also did some organizing of the physical CDs in archive boxes too.

Getting ready to bulk delete a bunch of tags I don’t need like one that shows CD lossless as source and another stating dbPowerAmp was the program. That is true for 100% of my files, so I don’t need them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back