SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #41,401 of 45,723
Activity in the HIGH spectrum means high frequencies in the song. As the song is already at 88.2kHz sample rate, it has high frequencies, and DSEE HX (AI, or not) will not apply.

Check it with CD or lower quality music, or even Bluetooth audio and USB DAC modes.
Will it eat up at the battery for activating it?

Jul 21, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #41,402 of 45,723
How would you compare it with Solis (on stock WM1Z) ?
I have an ALAC 88.2/24 file playing but the high indicator is still moving? Is it not supposed to move when it’s not in action?

Its normal. Its your high res music file that have this in it!

Jul 21, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #41,403 of 45,723
Activity in the HIGH spectrum means high frequencies in the song. As the song is already at 88.2kHz sample rate, it has high frequencies, and DSEE HX (AI, or not) will not apply.

Check it with CD or lower quality music, or even Bluetooth audio and USB DAC modes.
Ah, so with it on the high spectrums will be higher on those lower res songs and without it on the spectrums will be lower. Right? Is that what we need to see whether it’s working or not?

Jul 21, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #41,404 of 45,723
Will it eat up at the battery for activating it?

Probably, like any other DSP effect in the player. But maybe the battery usage by the effect, is compensated by the fact that battery consumption is reduced with the mod.

Ah, so with it on the high spectrums will be higher on those lower res songs and without it on the spectrums will be lower. Right? Is that what we need to see whether it’s working or not?

Exactly.

Lower res songs will most probably not have any activity at all in the HIGH spectrum, but with DSEE HX, they will.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #41,405 of 45,723
How would you compare it with Solis (on stock WM1Z) ?

I know I loved solis 3.0.2 a lot it was a quality resolution fw with overall a great balanced sound.

But new fw is on a new layer of balance in frequency. It mains the fun factors in music with a nice more firmer bass and amazing treble response.
The treble is the super star of the show and bass as its assistant 🙂

New fw offers better imaging and instruments positioning. Everything just sounds wow and super addictive!

@Ravenous
I am happy to see someone felt the little change as my self to I felt there is something improved with my new method. I feel the treble is ultra refined and cleansed. It also feels a little more detailed and more precise imaging...

The change is very minimal and super subtle but for someone sensitive in that area he will definitely feel it!!!

Pay close attention I say feel and not hear!

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #41,406 of 45,723
I know I loved solis 3.0.2 a lot it was a quality resolution fw with overall a great balanced sound.

But new fw is on a new layer of balance in frequency. It mains the fun factors in music with a nice more firmer bass and amazing treble response.
The treble is the super star of the show and bass as its assistant 🙂

New fw offers better imaging and instruments positioning. Everything just sounds wow and super addictive!

@Ravenous
I am happy to see someone felt the little change as my self to I felt there is something improved with my new method. I feel the treble is ultra refined and cleansed. It also feels a little more detailed and more precise imaging...

The change is very minimal and super subtle but for someone sensitive in that area he will definitely feel it!!!

Pay close attention I say feel and not hear!
I have never touched my Fiio M15 and Cayin N6ii since I installed the new firmware. Just using 1A and 1Z unstoppedly, with each of my IEMs. I do not have such experience for quite a long time.

Music becomes an unbelievable joy now.

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #41,407 of 45,723
I just had a kick look to the DSEE HX AI vs Percussions for some CD @ 16bits 44khz .. and there is some loss in mid-low frequencies between these 2 parameters. It becomes something like a little flat in AI mode.
I understood the AI version should replace all other parameters of DSEE HX ?

Do I miss something? Can normal DSEE HX bring too strong corrections in some situations?

Should DSEE HX AI be definitely more accurate for sound quality or is it more optimized enhance to limit battery consumption and just select automatically correct parameters (voice male female, etc) ?

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #41,409 of 45,723
I just had a kick look to the DSEE HX AI vs Percussions for some CD @ 16bits 44khz .. and there is some loss in mid-low frequencies between these 2 parameters. It becomes something like a little flat in AI mode.
I understood the AI version should replace all other parameters of DSEE HX ?

Do I miss something? Can normal DSEE HX bring too strong corrections in some situations?

Should DSEE HX AI be definitely more accurate for sound quality or is it more optimized enhance to limit battery consumption and just select automatically correct parameters (voice male female, etc) ?

It is unfortunately the nature of dsee hx...
When I had the zx500 I also end up doing the same way as on 1z, direct source! No matter what.

Because no matter what dsee is a computer thinking algorithm that decides what should sound how...

For me the best unaltered sound quality is done via direct source.
But guys this is still amazing that we have dsee hx Ai as its not an available feature normally.

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #41,410 of 45,723
The sound is indeed quite different between the two while the modded 1A is more exciting but a bit bright for some tracks of music.

If I have to pick one to keep, I shall give my vote to my stock 1Z.
Yes, I have that same experience on my modded 1A. It's a bit north of neutral if I may say.
While pops, rocks, hip pops, and 80's to present time sound excellent on 1A+, but most of classicals, 60's and 70's seem to lost it magic some how. One thing I notice it's missing right away is fullness. 1A+ has very wide and high soundstage wise but I feel it needs a bit more deeper and rounder I think.

Cheers to you all!

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #41,411 of 45,723
There has been an update, which brings the DSEE HX AI function to both WM1A/Z+ and WM1A to 1Z mods.

The DSEE HX AI function replaces the "Standard" option from the DSEE HX effect type menu. This function is
present in devices like the NW-A55, or the DMP-Z1.

Official description:
1595329888745.png

DSEE HX (AI, or not) works only for CD quality audio, or lower. DSEE HX will not have an effect for audio with
a sampling frequency over 44.1kHz or 48kHz, like "24 bit/96kHz".

DSEE HX (both AI or the other options) also works with the Bluetooth receiver or the USB DAC functions.

You can "see" the function in action by switching the visualizer to "Spectrum Analyzer", and monitoring the "HIGH"
spectrum of the sound.

There are also some improvements to the integrated switcher, and all the languages were updated to reflect the
DSEE HX AI function replacing the "Standard" option of the DSEE HX effect type menu, as well as the "Switch Device
Model" replacing the "Factory Reset" function.

Do I need to first switch back to stock before installing this?
No. Like always, this works like any other firmware update. Just install it and that's it.

LINK

Main post link

Enjoy!
Wow! You are faster with updating as I am able to give a thorough listing to all modes. Thanks a lot. Even I was sure never to touch the firmware to avoid loosing the beautiful WM1A toZ+ sound, I will give it a try today. :wink:. Really excited...

I am wondering if it's possible to activate the VPT surround sound program as the A45 has? This I liked very much and it's the only feature I am missing on the WM1A.

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #41,412 of 45,723
Here’s a little something to read on DSEE HX AI.

More about DSEE HX AI

Since 2018, DSEE HX AI, now with variants: DSEE Extreme (AI for 192kHz for wireless headphones) and DSEE Ultimate (AI for both 32 bit and 192kHz first used in Xperia 1 Mk2) has improved upon the old DSEE HX a lot. DSEE HX AI is like those software algorithms that can convert black and white photos/films into Color photos/films but works on audio data instead. It's really almost like a very experienced sound engineer is remastering your music collection in real time.

What Sony has done is they ran simulation models of what is lost during the conversion from their studio master DSD/DXD files and the end result consumer PCM / AAC format that we usually listen to. Then they came out with this DSEE HX algorithm that can restore the audio back to near studio master quality. It can deliver a sound closest to what you experience when you attend a concert in real life.

The old DSEE HX achieves smoothing only.

DSEE HX AI Effect has two parts:

One is the soundstage part which adds a natural sounding soundstage height feel to your songs that has recorded soundstage information to begin with. It doesn't seem to add any additional soundstage to songs that are electronically synthesized(eurodance music).

The other part is the transient attack and smoothing part. Vocals sound smoother and Transient sound e.g. Cymbals, sounds more immediate and drums sound more impactful.

And this is how I find the DSEE HX effect varies with file resolution:

Soundstage height improvement shows up in all lossy, normal 16bit resolution and high resolution music. DSEE HX will alter how the soundstage sounds for as long as the original music content has some form of soundstage info.

As for the smoother vocals and transient attack. With higher resolution files, DSEE HX doesn't seem to add much of a noticable difference as the music is already smooth and dynamic to begin with. As for normal 16bit resolution and lossy files, that's where DSEE HX effect has the most noticeable improvement to the sound.

Jul 21, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #41,413 of 45,723
Here’s a little something to read on DSEE HX AI.

More about DSEE HX AI

Since 2018, DSEE HX AI, now with variants: DSEE Extreme (AI for 192kHz for wireless headphones) and DSEE Ultimate (AI for both 32 bit and 192kHz first used in Xperia 1 Mk2) has improved upon the old DSEE HX a lot. DSEE HX AI is like those software algorithms that can convert black and white photos/films into Color photos/films but works on audio data instead. It's really almost like a very experienced sound engineer is remastering your music collection in real time.

What Sony has done is they ran simulation models of what is lost during the conversion from their studio master DSD/DXD files and the end result consumer PCM / AAC format that we usually listen to. Then they came out with this DSEE HX algorithm that can restore the audio back to near studio master quality. It can deliver a sound closest to what you experience when you attend a concert in real life.

The old DSEE HX achieves smoothing only.

DSEE HX AI Effect has two parts:

One is the soundstage part which adds a natural sounding soundstage height feel to your songs that has recorded soundstage information to begin with. It doesn't seem to add any additional soundstage to songs that are electronically synthesized(eurodance music).

The other part is the transient attack and smoothing part. Vocals sound smoother and Transient sound e.g. Cymbals, sounds more immediate and drums sound more impactful.

And this is how I find the DSEE HX effect varies with file resolution:

Soundstage height improvement shows up in all lossy, normal 16bit resolution and high resolution music. DSEE HX will alter how the soundstage sounds for as long as the original music content has some form of soundstage info.

As for the smoother vocals and transient attack. With higher resolution files, DSEE HX doesn't seem to add much of a noticable difference as the music is already smooth and dynamic to begin with. As for normal 16bit resolution and lossy files, that's where DSEE HX effect has the most noticeable improvement to the sound.
This is some useful high level chit😃 👍

Footnote: chit slang definition: a bag of cheetos/ chips/ crisps 😂🤣🤣

That’s a joke btw🍺

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #41,414 of 45,723
Just to clarify, for us WM1Z users, I just have to install the WM1AZ+ firmware, and good to go? I just ran the WM1AZ+[DSEEAI] tool and once it completes I just start listening?

No need to go into the Model Device Switcher and re-installing the WM1AZ+ right?

Thanks a lot!

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #41,415 of 45,723
Just to clarify, for us WM1Z users, I just have to install the WM1AZ+ firmware, and good to go? I just ran the WM1AZ+[DSEEAI] tool and once it completes I just start listening?

No need to go into the Model Device Switcher and re-installing the WM1AZ+ right?

Thanks a lot!
Correct, because you’re on 1Z you only need to install the firmware once.

For those on 1A, they have to first install the firmware, then switch to 1Z, then install firmware again to get to 1Z+. Or install it just once to have 1A+

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back