SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #41,102 of 45,723
Can I ask, do you recommend 1A or 1Z on the stock 1A player?

I personally use WM1A/Z+ with 1A switched to 1Z.

I recommend instead trying out the options, and give some time to listen to each option, as your ear has to adapt to the change.

Jul 19, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #41,103 of 45,723
No, they are just a lot more easy to install now, like Sony firmware updates.
Ok. I’ll download the public link you provided. Thank you

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #41,105 of 45,723
I tried to put my 1Z back to stock with the "WM1 Back to Stock" app and it seems to have a bug as there was an intermediate screen that popped up on the player about WM1A to WM1Z, and now the cert reflects that.

Hopefully there's a way to back out of everything? The Model Switcher app says my player is still WM1Z.

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #41,106 of 45,723
Impossible to execute the model switcher v3.0
It seems there is a Trojan in the exe. (according to win 10 defender)
I tried on 2 workstations .. on in my home and one in my office (through mstsc) both delete the fils instantly as there is a trojan inside

Modele switcher V3.0.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #41,108 of 45,723

We already talked about this a few pages back, some tunings were detected as well, it's false positive.

Feel free to scan it with something else, not Windows Defender. By the way, I also scanned these with Windows Defender and for me they didn't get detected.

Up to you if you wish to try it or not.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #41,110 of 45,723
I tried to put my 1Z back to stock with the "WM1 Back to Stock" app and it seems to have a bug as there was an intermediate screen that popped up on the player about WM1A to WM1Z, and now the cert reflects that.

Hopefully there's a way to back out of everything? The Model Switcher app says my player is still WM1Z.

Seems I did a misclick. Gonna reupload the correct WM1 Back to Stock, will let you know when I did it.

I did use the Switcher app to switch back to 1Z (even though it identified that I had a 1Z... and I didn't switch my model previously). Is that what you mean or is there some other step in switching back to original?

Yep, I checked it, and it's my fault. Nothing is wrong though, don't worry. Gonna let you know.

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #41,112 of 45,723
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #41,113 of 45,723
I tried on 2 workstations .. on in my home and one in my office (through mstsc) both delete the fils instantly as there is a trojan inside

I also uploaded the Model Switcher v3.0 as just an archive. You can try downloading the archived "version", hopefully Windows Defender won't "detect" it again.

I sometimes think Windows Defender "detects" executables just by how small they are, or by their name, lol.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #41,115 of 45,723
Well I’ve just tried to find out if the 1Z is as susceptible to this sonic wizardry as the stock 1A. The stock 1Z is a Japan Export Edition (region U) with 1239 hours. The unit was in regular Sony 3.02 and I went and added it again just to be on the safe side. Did a switch over to 1A/Z+ then listened for awhile. It seems the 1A/Z+ does add the same expanded sounstage as the effect on the stock 1A. I then did the model switcher with and without the 1A/Z+ and then returned to the 1Z with 1A/Z+. I then found out about an interesting way to very quickly change back to stock. As listening in 1A/Z+ mode I went to reset and did just a setting reset. This is a very quick change back to stock only after a brief moment while listening to the same song. With this abrupt contrast it’s beneficial to comprehend the dramatic changes that come with 1A/Z+.

In ending this review the changes are great to the 1Z, but the 1A becomes a much different animal, with maybe room to grow due to how it comes from the factory. All and all even with the 1Z switched over to 1A with the model switcher and 1A/Z+ new firmware released today, the two players are still very different in sound. I attribute this of course to the two players having different components like wire, transistors, capacitors and cases.

Though I have to say the end result is the 1Z shows it’s treble boost still as well as bass enhancements. I didn’t like the 1Z on 1A stock mode.

But in ending the great part is both players seem equally able, with the 1A having the “new toy” advantage in sound? The 1A bass is still faster and better defined yet both players show a smoother and more detailed midrange and soundstage experience with 1A/Z+.

Edit:
I probably need to spend a day with the 1Z/1A/Z+ combo to truly “get it”?

2nd Edit:

Well it turns out doing the setting reset is not a going to change the 1A/Z+ tuning I am told. So I’m not sure what I did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back