SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #39,301 of 45,723
Well, apparently I got a huge taste of FLAC files after sampling music from a site that sells higher bit rate music. True hi-res files. Which streaming service do you guys think I could use my 1Z with when it’s in DAC mode to get the best sound? Is it just Tidal or Amazon HD? Are those services better than buying specific albums that I love?

I have only used Tidal and that is generally fine and their Master tier in mqa is higher res than cd but not full resolution (wether you can hear a difference is another matter) but I prefer to buy and own my music. An advantage for streaming is the huge choice and instant availabillity but a down side is that music might suddenly dissapear if an artist or label decides that they don’t want their contents available on a given platform

Jun 10, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #39,302 of 45,723
The z1r's aren’t getting rave reviews regarding fit either sadly.
They are well beyond my spending but I have wondered about how they sound. I'm so disappointed they didn't do an upgraded Z5 ie. dynamic hybrid, same price range, instead they went BA for the M7 & M9 and twice the price Z1R

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #39,303 of 45,723
I have only used Tidal and that is generally fine and their Master tier in mqa is higher res than cd but not full resolution (wether you can hear a difference is another matter) but I prefer to buy and own my music. An advantage for streaming is the huge choice and instant availabillity but a down side is that music might suddenly dissapear if an artist or label decides that they don’t want their contents available on a given platform
Well that sucks. Tidal doesn’t serve Japan and I don’t want Amazon HD. Any other suggestions?

Jun 10, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #39,305 of 45,723
Jun 10, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #39,306 of 45,723
They are well beyond my spending but I have wondered about how they sound. I'm so disappointed they didn't do an upgraded Z5 ie. dynamic hybrid, same price range, instead they went BA for the M7 & M9 and twice the price Z1R
I love my Z5 and i think its the best fit for the 1A/1Z. It’s my go to IEM all the time. Especially with the 4.4mm kimber kable, the organic warm and lush sound is enchanting.

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #39,307 of 45,723
Jun 10, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #39,308 of 45,723
The z1r's aren’t getting rave reviews regarding fit either sadly.

To me the Z1R are lightyears better in fit and comfort than the Z5

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #39,310 of 45,723
Jun 10, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #39,311 of 45,723
I am not sure that the stock tuning of the 1Z is "better" than the 1A really. I think that's a miss-conception that has been in this forum for a while - just my opinion as 1Z owner.

1A is more reference sound than 1Z, and 1Z is more colored (euphonic) sound

I was of similar assumptions, until I owned both and compared 1a vs 1z vs 1z kmod.

At first I thought the 1a was more neutral/clear, while the 1 was more organic sounding.

Then the difference ( with additional direct comparisons to both the Fiio m11 & with ibasso 220 w/amp8 & with tube stage amp ) was that the 1a had more solid state state sound, while the 1z was more analog sounding.

Then the realization that there was a more holographic and bigger soundstage presentation, while the 1a was slightly more artificially flat, similar but not all the way like in between the flat distant ibasso 220, and the forward flat but wide fiio m11...
They had a much more solid-state sound, which the 1a still had, but at least had more holography.

Yet the 1z pulls ahead of them all to have zero solid-state sound and a well laid out soundstage.
These are the cues that separate better gear.

Most top gear today easily have very accurate reference sound, but still sound artificiall in soundstage presentation.

The 1z does not have those issues.
The 1a does still have a 50% that issue.

All other DAPs, no matter how top choice they are, have these issues of soundstaging presentation.

They can try fool you with a distance but still flat & not laid out properly,
OR,
They can try fool you with an artificially created one with use of a tube stage...

Tubes are great for reconstructing lost soundstage, but they cannot bring back any lost detailing or lost ambient cues, so would not be a 100% correct soundstage, which you would note either by soundtrack memory or desktop comparison.

So bottom line is that I am convinced that the 1z had a better firmwares.
That doesn't mean contrary opinions are wrong, as it still is a choice/synergy thing.
But I do appreciate the more accurate soundstage of the 1z, and do not want solid-state sound.
:)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #39,312 of 45,723
@Maxx134
I agree with your statement on stock WM1A and WM1Z.
But with same firmware, here is what I already said.
Well, to be honest with you, when I compared stock 1A with my beloved WM1Z Ultimate K Mod both in Solis, I decided to sell my WM1Z.
There is definitely a difference that I could spot blindly in the tones, intensity and weight of the music, but I'm sure we can work on that with a full internal mod : caps, gold wiring, shielding.
All other aspects are very similar for sure.

Jun 10, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #39,313 of 45,723
@Maxx134
I agree with your statement on stock WM1A and WM1Z.
But with same firmware, here is what I already said.
All other aspects are very similar for sure.
Agree 100%...
The firmware fixes that issue 95% even if it not sound like 1z, it definitely cures the gimped 1a sold-state sound, even if kept stock.
That's why I consider the 1a to have way more potential.

I while back, when solice came out, I put solice on my friend's 1a and it was so big a jump from stock, it was amazing, simply a better unit.

To some, firmware may be all they need.
Then you have others that either want the prestige of gold brick, or want to use as desktop replacement DAC, like me.
I sold off my yggy and my "Holo Spring" dacs, and would choose the Sony 1z over them easily any day, because they don't have the organic sound.

I will then further elevate the 1z thru hardware upgrade, so that both the resolve and soundstage is even better, to soundly eclipse those dacs in those areas.
:)

Jun 10, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #39,314 of 45,723
I’m trying to work it whether it is worth the effort to attempt to recable my old Sony MDR-EX1000 to be balanced... they sound pretty good SE, but I have a really love hate relationship with them, if it extended the treble even further, I’d really not like it at all...

Does anyone use the EX1000 that might have an opinion on this?

sideline edit: I see someone bought the WM1Z on Amazon UK, so missed my chance again - guess I will just stick where I am

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #39,315 of 45,723
It's phenomenal how a class D "1 bit" dap can beat top of the line summit-fi tier 20.5bit R2R dac.

I guess it's all about clever audio engineering(shielding, conductive materials and electrical circuitry design) and algorithms (DSP).

The best part about the Sony walkman is that you don't have to deal with jitter management with those totl dacs with things like USB cables, USB galvanic isolation or USB reclocking..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back