SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #36,931 of 45,723
M11 Pro is a very pure and clear DAP especially with THX, WM1A is far more organic and natural. To me the Sony represents live music, not dead, sterile & pre-packaged. I can feel the emotion with Sony, M11 Pro is just another digital transport...

Q-6
I have a Q5s with AM3D amp module - I think you summed it up nicely there. It sounds quite clear and detailed which could be perceived as better, but there is something about Sony that is more pleasing. Also I can't push the volume with my Fiio whereas I can happily damage my hearing with my ZX300.

May 2, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #36,932 of 45,723
I have a Q5s with AM3D amp module - I think you summed it up nicely there. It sounds quite clear and detailed which could be perceived as better, but there is something about Sony that is more pleasing. Also I can't push the volume with my Fiio whereas I can happily damage my hearing with my ZX300.

Absolutely nothing amiss with M11 Pro, equally WM1A has the road. I listen to a lot of live music and the Sony DAP's captures far better. Some DAP's are playing music and some are merely replicating music...

Music is always the source, never your hardware...

Q-6

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #36,933 of 45,723
So, any ideas about WM1A to “weak” to drive Z1R (in ear).
And with Mod FW WM1A maybe better when pair with Z1R?
I try alot DAP but i feel power of Sony Dap is very low.
43C66E84-5955-466C-9EC1-A7ECAAA89758.jpegF8211AA3-9322-4E86-8982-4F050F5CDB7D.jpeg2A0AEF5A-549C-4BDE-A6FA-12215ADF6470.jpeg

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #36,934 of 45,723
To finance my WM1A purchase I'm considering selling my amp/dac - I was wondering how many people listen to music entirely using their WM1A and prefer that than PC with amp/dac?

May 2, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #36,935 of 45,723
Are we due a successor to the WM1A soon do you guys think?
Not talking about the consumer range here, but they seem to take a long time between releases of their products eg the XBA range to the M7/M9/Z1R, then there have been no updated amp/dacs since the PHA range.
Probably the ZX507 was just a necessary release to cater for all the streamers and not lose out to all the competition. As the WM1A/Z are catering to the high end users who have hi-res/DSD etc on SD cards they don't have the urgency to release anything yet. Like Hawaiibadboy's Youtube review said they have their own technology and do it well and are not caught up in the 'new' chip etc continual upgrades other companies are, also with the number of pages and the amount of activity on this thread they perhaps don't see the need to come out with something new.

May 2, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #36,937 of 45,723
Not talking about the consumer range here, but they seem to take a long time between releases of their products eg the XBA range to the M7/M9/Z1R, then there have been no updated amp/dacs since the PHA range.
Probably the ZX507 was just a necessary release to cater for all the streamers and not lose out to all the competition. As the WM1A/Z are catering to the high end users who have hi-res/DSD etc on SD cards they don't have the urgency to release anything yet. Like Hawaiibadboy's Youtube review said they have their own technology and do it well and are not caught up in the 'new' chip etc continual upgrades other companies are, also with the number of pages and the amount of activity on this thread they perhaps don't see the need to come out with something new.

4 years is quite a long time for a DAP though, especially considering some companies seem to release a new player every other month.

May 2, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #36,938 of 45,723
4 years is quite a long time for a DAP though, especially considering some companies seem to release a new player every other month.
Agreed, but like I said the ZX507 was probably required to not lose customers who want to stream to other brands offering streaming connections.
It must cost alot of money to come out with a new DAP - it sounds like the WM1Z/A are already great sounding DAPs so they probably don't see the financial gains in the minor improvements to the sound they could make and although streaming might be convenient these are targeted to those who want maximum benefit from lossless or hi-res files played from the device.
As I am looking to purchase WM1A it does enter my mind that in this day and age I'm buying something that was released in 2016 - perhaps proof of it's quality.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #36,939 of 45,723

The Sony HAP-Z1ES, that is a very nice device, was released in 2013 and there has not been a replacement model for it. We have one in our stereo rack.

May 2, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #36,940 of 45,723
Agreed, but like I said the ZX507 was probably required to not lose customers who want to stream to other brands offering streaming connections.
It must cost alot of money to come out with a new DAP - it sounds like the WM1Z/A are already great sounding DAPs so they probably don't see the financial gains in the minor improvements to the sound they could make and although streaming might be convenient these are targeted to those who want maximum benefit from lossless or hi-res files played from the device.
As I am looking to purchase WM1A it does enter my mind that in this day and age I'm buying something that was released in 2016 - perhaps proof of it's quality.

Prepare your wallet/bank account until then. Not saying that it would be more expensive that the current prices, but the current prices are not so low or something :D

Even if they are made in 2016, they are very good at what they are supposed to do, and they are not old stock. I bought mine this year, beginning of February, and it's manufactured in September 2019.

We might even get future firmware updates! They are usually releasing them at the end of August, though this year it might be a little delayed because of this whole situation with the virus...

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #36,941 of 45,723
Prepare your wallet/bank account until then. Not saying that it would be more expensive that the current prices, but the current prices are not so low or something :D

Even if they are made in 2016, they are very good at what they are supposed to do, and they are not old stock. I bought mine this year, beginning of February, and it's manufactured in September 2019.

We might even get future firmware updates! They are usually releasing them at the end of August, though this year it might be a little delayed because of this whole situation with the virus...
Yes, I swear in Japan the prices have gone up. I can't get it in my country, but fortunately I can source from a nearby country for probably the lowest I have seen anywhere - the only kick in the nuts is the local tax AND some other add-on fee I have to pay to get it. What is frustrating is that I was due to go on holiday there later this month but travel won't be possible in the foreseeable future with this virus drama.

May 2, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #36,943 of 45,723
So what do you wish to see in the new Signature series DAP?

Probably more power from each port, even longer battery life, smaller form factor?

We can see current DAPs catching up in terms of power and battery life of WM1 series.

So they probably will have something revolutionary too for the next gen.

May 2, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #36,944 of 45,723
So, any ideas about WM1A to “weak” to drive Z1R (in ear).
And with Mod FW WM1A maybe better when pair with Z1R?
I try alot DAP but i feel power of Sony Dap is very low.
43C66E84-5955-466C-9EC1-A7ECAAA89758.jpegF8211AA3-9322-4E86-8982-4F050F5CDB7D.jpeg2A0AEF5A-549C-4BDE-A6FA-12215ADF6470.jpeg
You can try 1A/1Z with high gain and balance 4.4. I'm using 1A to pair with Z1R. I feel very good. If you need more power , you can tried cayin N8, Lotoo paw touch gold but i think you'll miss the sony signature :) . Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back