SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #36,572 of 45,723
I have a little bit technical question. Do you know if the recent Walkmans are DC coupled or AC coupled? On my A55 I am measuring around 2 mV DC offset on one channel and 5 mV on the other one, while my decade old NW-S615F measures 0.2 mV and 2 mV. It might be that the WM1A/Z would be more accurately trimmed in case of DC coupled output. Is it anyway normal to have couple mV DC offset?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #36,573 of 45,723
Finally reached 200 hours of the burn in process, but it feels like it's gonna get better. I like the synergy of the 3.01 fw with the Z1R, that bass rumble appears like a mobster. Briefly try the 3.02 fw, i've never hear the Z1R with that much detail, especially in the vocals, my mother lenguage is spanish, so i have to concentrate a bit more to understand the lyrics, but with the 3.02 fw i didn't have to try hard, but the bass was way back in the picture, like if it was grounded, altough it was tight.

Best records i heard so far on the WM1A were "Ella and Louis" 1956 24-96 FLAC and James Blake 2011 again on 24-96 FLAC. To me, this is the sweet spot, i don't have to put it on high gain, have a ton of battery, and after comparing it with 24-192 and DSD albums, to my learning ears there's no difference yet or at all.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #36,574 of 45,723
I'm a ZX300 owner lurking around here for motivation to take the step up, thanks

giphy.gif

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #36,575 of 45,723
Finally reached 200 hours of the burn in process, but it's feel like it's gonna get better. I like the synergy of the 3.01 fw with the Z1R, that bass rumble appears like a mobster. Briefly try the 3.02 fw, i've never hear the Z1R with that much detail, especially in the vocals, my mother lenguage is spanish, so i have to concentrate a bit more to understand the lyrics, but with the 3.02 fw i didn't have to try hard, but the bass was way back in the picture, like if it was grounded, altough it was tight.

Best records i heard so far on the WM1A were "Ella and Louis" 1956 24-96 FLAC and James Blake 2011 again on 24-96 FLAC. To me, this is the sweet spot, i don't have to put it on high gain, have a ton of battery, and after comparing it with 24-192 and DSD albums, to my learning ears there's no difference yet or at all.
Yeah I remember it being agreed that the 3.02 did better on the 1z, and was mixed opinions for the 1a.

If I had 1a, I would still use 3.02, because of the units overall improvements , and then add a firmware mod to it.
Then I would change the region code for last bits of sound tune.

You can quite readily fix that 3.02 impression, just with a region code change alone...
I personally like MX region.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #36,576 of 45,723
Yeah I remember it being agreed that the 3.02 did better on the 1z, and was mixed opinions for the 1a.

If I had 1a, I would still use 3.02, because of the units overall improvements , and then add a firmware mod to it.

You can quite readily fix that 3.02 impression, just with a region code change alone...

well you have decribed me to a T

i have 1a , using 3.02 , added the Spring FW (from @morgenstern09 and @aceedburn )
oh, and i also changed the regin code into J

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #36,577 of 45,723

It would be nice to merge the 3.01 fw bass with the 3.02 fw detail and soundstage

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #36,578 of 45,723
It would be nice to merge to the 3.01 fw bass with the 3.02 fw detail and soundstage
You can have it on 3.02 with the seasons firmware collection try it.

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #36,579 of 45,723
I have finally received my modded 1z from romi and started to play with firmwares again lol as everything changed!

I loaded my dsd music from album Jazz at the pawn shop as I found this recording done in a natural way and the open atmosphere of the room where it seems like to be a coffee shop. So I tuned my region and firmware accordingly to that to have the most natural real to life like resonance and perception.

I came down to region CEV and stock fw 3.0.2 maybe things will change later once my burn in process completes but for now I like that new combination.

thanks to @Mindstorms hes chart on regions overview was very help full I could at least have glance of a view to where to head :)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #36,580 of 45,723
You can have it on 3.02 with the seasons firmware collection try it.

I want to burn in the 1A a bit more before i play with it, but i can imagine the fun you guys must be having, great tunneable player. Made me sold my Plenue 1 to buy an A45 just to have that "Sony sound" with my micro BL while i'm painting, very fun sound. To me the sony's are the only ones yet where i found that "holographicness"

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #36,582 of 45,723
It would be nice to merge to the 3.01 fw bass with the 3.02 fw detail and soundstage
Yes just upgrade to 3.02, then change the region code for that.
I like MX & mx3 but so many others...

thanks to @Mindstorms hes chart on regions overview was very help full I could at least have glance of a view to where to head :)
Yes his chart is quite amazing.

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #36,583 of 45,723
Dont you guys notice something different? My name its now correctly spelled lol :nerd: thansk to the headfi admin AxelCloris! he rules!

WoW for real???? I never paid attention to that lo lo lo you where always the mindstorms on my mind :)

Maybe Alex could help me change my name to Tiger Ears to ? :ghost: That would be so great!

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #36,585 of 45,723
WoW for real???? I never paid attention to that lo lo lo you where always the mindstorms on my mind :)

Maybe Alex could help me change my name to Tiger Ears to ? :ghost: That would be so great!
I think it was a one time exception since it was only a reversed letter lol i was Midnstorms anyways i also have this name registered so it as no problem for them dont think you can be changing names randomly lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back