SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #34,036 of 45,723
Sometimes I feel kimber kable in 1z does to translate some harshness but its not as bad...

K mod is plan for future
Kimber Kables can only do so much...it is still OFC Copper.

Well, to understand it better, all Copper can qualify as OFC. Because they all better be Oxygen Free Copper. What matter is the Crystal Grains. The Kimber Kables inside WM1Z and even in DMP Z1 are only a little better than your typical massively produced OFC on the market

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #34,037 of 45,723
Kimber Kables can only do so much...it is still OFC Copper.

Well, to understand it better, all Copper can qualify as OFC. Because they all better be Oxygen Free Copper. What matter is the Crystal Grains. The Kimber Kables inside WM1Z and evening DMP Z1 are only a little better than your typical massively produced OFC on the market

Hmm and pw1960?
Snake oil?

Mar 10, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #34,038 of 45,723
I've never heard SP1000 but Astells in general have a little laid back feeling, with softer attack. That was why I sold AK300 shortly after buying. It felt great other than it was playing kinda for himself and i felt detached from the music. AK380 was the same only with better technicalities. Newer SP2000 is better in that regard, it's more engaging but still on the softer side. Airy, very refined, smooth but not what you call exciting. The only other dap with similar, softer manner that I've heard is Shanling M5S but obviously it's a huge step down.

WM1A is more in your face, more engaging, sparkly, bolder and exciting on stock firmwares. On Solis its even more intense by quite a margin.

This is the reason why I sold my SP2000 and stayed with WM1A and I did so even before I started modifying the 1A firmware

To anyone Else who is enjoying 1A or 1Z with Modified Firmware, and want to start tackling with $3,500 devices, and especially 1A. Do your WM1A a courage, and modify it Hardware....Even after that surgery, it still is cheaper than $3,500....then revisiting the battles

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #34,040 of 45,723
I would rather not talk nor disclose about this.

Kimber Kables has Long-Grain Crystals and they are very very good. But they are Axios Tier. Those being used inside 1Z and even DMP are all lower tier which as I mentioned above

Please I am curious ) to know an expertise of an expert )

And I will not argue hehe.
I will Sir Yes Sir agreed!

Anyways my ears like pw1960 and it sounds good

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #34,041 of 45,723
Please I am curious ) to know an expertise of an expert )

And I will not argue hehe.
I will Sir Yes Sir agreed!

Anyways my ears like pw1960 and it sounds good
It is not about that lol...but I have not heard PW1960

Going with the disclosures of the technical details, the Pw1960 is multi-strained Litz type OCC copper. This Copper is the top grade Copper, and Litz type has it pros and cons. There is no doubt of how copper of this Grade can perform

But going with this same Grade, there are others to choose from.

Have you tried any other cables with similar Grade ?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #34,042 of 45,723
Hey guys, how does the wm1a stack up with the newer zx507? Im thinking of selling my a&k sr15 and joining the sony camp(again). :p

Mar 10, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #34,043 of 45,723
It is not about that lol...but I have not heard PW1960

Going with the disclosures of the technical details, the Pw1960 is multi-strained Litz type OCC copper. This Copper is the top grade Copper, and Litz type has it pros and cons. There is no doubt of how copper of this Grade can perform

But going with this same Grade, there are others to choose from.

Have you tried any other cables with similar Grade ?

The effect audio ates ii 8 wires and didnt like it.

Plussound gold plated silver was my best cable until pw1960

But i have this wireworld all copper 8 wires cable 7n one hell of a cable to but does not cost as much!

I found this to be brighter harsher in treble same for ares II but pw1960 is not like that 20191222_231456.jpg20180813_151732.jpg

Mar 10, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #34,044 of 45,723
Hey guys, how does the wm1a stack up with the newer zx507? Im thinking of selling my a&k sr15 and joining the sony camp(again). :p

Buy it lol dont ask Haha
I got wm1z and zx507 ) ( japan )

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #34,045 of 45,723
The effect audio ates ii 8 wires and didnt like it.

Plussound gold plated silver was my best cable until pw1960

But i have this wireworld all copper 8 wires cable 7n one hell of a cable to but does not cost as much!

I found this to be brighter harsher in treble same for ares II but pw1960 is not like that

Those you have tried are all Litz type ? There are a lot of differences between Litz and regular multi strain

I see Ate ii is Litz types

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #34,046 of 45,723
Those you have tried are all Litz type ? There are a lot of differences between Litz and regular multi strain

I see Ate ii is Litz types

Honestly i dont know what litz and occ or ofc differs sorry.

If you could explain me in a few words that be great!

I know wireworld used some special forging alloy on that wire and it even have arrows that show which direction the electrical flow should go. From dap to headphones.

I am not sure about ares 2 and pw1960. It is not the specs made me buy it but what I heard!

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #34,047 of 45,723
That Harshness is your OFC internal wires doing. I don’t mind repeating this.
When that is out of the way, check your cables, your plugs...etc

Also, just like what @gearofwar mentioned....the reason why I categorized into Tier is for this purposes
I’ll try lower tier then. Which firmware do you recommend and what region?
Also, as I know how to use a soldering iron, would you recommend the instructions on the Wm1a/z modding thread?
Thanks

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #34,048 of 45,723
What region should i use to set my 1Z to stock . the code on the box is CEW . I changed to region J and not sure which one to use , as i forgot to check before i changed . On the side of the player it's CE .

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #34,049 of 45,723
What region should i use to set my 1Z to stock . the code on the box is CEW . I changed to region J and not sure which one to use , as i forgot to check before i changed . On the side of the player it's CE .

You said it CEW

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #34,050 of 45,723
Honestly i dont know what litz and occ or ofc differs sorry.

If you could explain me in a few words that be great!

I know wireworld used some special forging alloy on that wire and it even have arrows that show which direction the electrical flow should go. From dap to headphones.

I am not sure about ares 2 and pw1960. It is not the specs made me buy it but what I heard!
That is what it should be :wink:
Again, I don’t doubt the quality of this copper. Then there are different constructions of these very high grade copper that bring them apart...together with the choices of solder and plugs. They will all matter in the end.
I’ll try lower tier then. Which firmware do you recommend and what region?
Also, as I know how to use a soldering iron, would you recommend the instructions on the Wm1a/z modding thread?
Thanks
i already did so in the very first post of the modifications thread on how to upgrade internal wires
I also did on the firmware modification post about tiers and the differences

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back