SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #33,871 of 45,723
I spent a lot of time basking in the sun last night, first on the 1Z which made it heard to get to sleep as I was hearing so many new things. Then in bed I listened to the 1A and again made it hard to sleep. What I have found that because of all the details that Solis can delivered it can bring out short comings in your IEM and cable combinations. I guess that is why Morbideath and Whitigir call it Tier 5.

In the limited listening last night and this morning I'm loving the following combinations:

Stock 1Z - J - Campfire Solaris SE - DHC Clone Silver Balanced
Stock 1A - J - Campfire Solaris - Effect Eros II+ 8 wire Balanced
It seems Solis and Solaris are made for each other :beerchug:

I haven't heard any deficiencies in the bass in either combo and it sounds so much better than stock 3.02 or any other planet. Treble extension is dependent on the cable. I hear more with the Clone Silver versus the Eros II+ 8 wire which is a fusion cable. I'm also hearing more treble right now due to an ear infection that is producing some tinnitus. When it clears I know that the treble will be smoother.

When listening to either combo I had multiple goosebump experiences. I also couldn't believe how immersive the soundstage was on some recordings.:thumbsup:

Next up is to listen to the Campfire Andromeda Gold SE on the 1Z with the Clone Silver or hopefully sometime this week the Clone Fusion. For the 1A I'll be trying the Andromeda with multiple cables to see what sounds best. Right now I'll be trying the ALO Gold 16, ALO SXC 8 and Triton8 OCC Copper all balanced.

Mar 8, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #33,872 of 45,723
@Whitigir @Morbideath thank you so much for making the solis t5! Without a doubt the best sounding! Made the atlas sound close to neutrality:ksc75smile::L3000:
20200308_225949.jpg

Mar 8, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #33,873 of 45,723
u guys need some sophisticated and standardized mod like MS who experimented many times with different outcomes, rather than a wild mod on your own like Whitigir. MS has the philosophy of keeping true to the House sound rather than deviating too far from our stock device, from my experience there's nothing to lose / trade off with their mods but pure benefits.
But still u need to talk with them more about the sound u desired, better to demo first.

I expect you are right but I’m so happy with the sound now that I can’t justify spending the money or dealing with the possible hassle of sending it out of the country (and out if EU with the resulting likely customs problems).

Mar 8, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #33,874 of 45,723
I expect you are right but I’m so happy with the sound now that I can’t justify spending the money or dealing with the possible hassle of sending it out of the country (and out if EU with the resulting likely customs problems).
It's totally fine and understandable. But Im a hassle seeker and i just can't stop messing around and creating stuffs, or I'll get bored.
I guess modding can bring me inner peace… at least for the moment.

Mar 8, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #33,875 of 45,723
It's totally fine and understandable. But Im a hassle seeker and i just can't stop messing around and creating stuffs, or I'll get bored.
I guess modding can bring me inner peace… at least for the moment.

I will most likely will do the kmod now that I am convinced with the exceptional qualities of the pw1960!

I can't go back to my previous gold plated silver cable.
Pw1960 has so much resolution clarity and bass.
Pw1960 is real big game changer!

Mar 8, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #33,876 of 45,723
Has anyone compared the Sony NW-WM1Z to the FiiO M15?

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #33,878 of 45,723
I will repeat it again :wink: Give your Walkman a Hardware upgrades, then revisits this battle. You would be surprised by this little player.

There is a reason why Solis was found on Walkman first, but then found it ways to DMP Z1 :D

After a fair bit of testing with TA and modded 1Z with Solis..... my conclusion is that I now need to get a DMP with Solis...

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #33,879 of 45,723
After a fair bit of testing with TA and modded 1Z with Solis..... my conclusion is that I now need to get a DMP with Solis...
Best of Sony right there :wink:.

You also get AK4497EQ and 6 different Digital Filters to play around with.

The DMP Z1 has a Sony chip “Direct Mode” performances, which Solis will take to another tier as proven on WM Walkman

This is like having 2 different players in one device

And that DSD Remastering too!!

Mar 8, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #33,883 of 45,723
Is it not possible to install Solaris using a windows 7 computer? Worked fine for D1.02. I keep getting errors (in Chinese so don’t know what they are) when I try to open the application. And my MacBook is running 10.15 so can’t open the installers

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #33,884 of 45,723
Any one else have tia trio ?
What you those who got one , which fw you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back