SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #33,811 of 45,723
That’s such a great point to wait 1/2 a day or more to form opinions. I especially a firmware like Solis, can remain reserved and almost subdued until you start to really understand it. So many firmware updates will have an instant “wow” effect but lose quality in time when your brain starts to recognize what has been unnaturally boosted. Since we were talking about food earlier; it would be like strong tasting food, that while fun at first, you may get sick of the taste everyday. Where up to this point Solis seems to be very careful about bestowing any big personality on the music. IMO

Solis is soundstage and resolution along with letting the dynamics of the changes in the music through. IMO

It’s within these dynamics can be found the soul of the recording.

I use the last 11 seconds of this song to test bass clarity. Also D1.02 on the 1A has this songs guitars soo hot, never heard them like it.

When Solis was born, i test it with Carmina Burana conducted by Jochum, Esoteric dsd. I told Whitigir i was CONSUMED by the vast soundstage. Its too gigantic making me in awe. But for some songs not recorded as godd, the staging stays as they are, not small but relaxed presentation.
550D9AD5-713F-4831-A1F4-32841D506E05.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #33,813 of 45,723
When Solis was born, i test it with Carmina Burana conducted by Jochum, dsd version. I told Whitigir i was CONSUMED by the vast soundstage. Its too gigantic making me in awe. But for some songs not recorded as godd, the staging stays as they are, not small but relaxed presentation

So far I think the firmware is getting stage information very close to what maybe could be in the recording, where Jupiter was just big all over. It’s going to take a while maybe to get a grip on what Solis is?
Before I tried Solis I had a PM recommending it sounds a little like the TA with 1.03 while using the 1Z; and it is. It actually has that reserved Sony sound, in contrast to the rage D1.02 was.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #33,814 of 45,723
Another thing i need to clarify, i seldom listen to 16bit 44.1khz redbook flac. Most of my collections are high-res or the high quality 24/96 1st press vinyl transfer, or DSD files extracted from my SACD collections. And i always avoid Remasters like a plague unless the minority that was very tastefully done.

Yes i have a fairly large physical records collections to support my pursuit. Im also a part-time partner of a metal music label/distro so i get hold of many master tapes.

Most CD redbook, unless recorded very nicely like Telarc or old Philips, sounds vertically squashed to me, in terms of staging, where i can spot distortions more easily.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #33,815 of 45,723
Fudge I’m smitten with Solis. Singing songs that I’m listening nonstop, even though I croak like crow lol

Mar 8, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #33,816 of 45,723
I think your sound preferences are exactly mine based on the interaction we have had this far. I’d really really love to have this materialize. I love the current Solis but like you wish it had a tad more deeper bass and slightly tamer treble. Could this be a reality for me? Pretty, pretty please? I’ll do anything for that! @Whitigir
One thing i need to add is that, Solis has the highest quality bass ive heard. It has very controlled mid-bass (but the majority won't agree Since mid-bass is strong enough for them). When u test the bass heavy songs It still dived down to the abyss with great speed and texture, not bleeding into the mids.

Mar 8, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #33,817 of 45,723
When Solis was born, i test it with Carmina Burana conducted by Jochum, Esoteric dsd. I told Whitigir i was CONSUMED by the vast soundstage. Its too gigantic making me in awe. But for some songs not recorded as godd, the staging stays as they are, not small but relaxed presentation.
550D9AD5-713F-4831-A1F4-32841D506E05.jpeg

Well, it’s too early to tell, but some grand TOTL firmware would probably have to have the midrange capacity of Solis. That and the treble personality and letting great bass occur. But it’s the midrange that has me so intrigued here, that and the spatial control?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #33,818 of 45,723
I had modified 2 cradles, and so I know them well. The cradles is acting as 2 things.

1/ Charge the Walkman simultaneously
2/ transfer files in and out of Walkman via a switch

The cradles also has reclocking signals and isolation to improve digital signals via USB. It is the Same principal as the dongles but with bigger capacitors such as film capacitors and os-con, and bigger IC. If you know IFI I-purifier, the cradle is similar, but with different technology and implementation using Sony patented design and IC, which also charges the Walkman or transfer files.

The cradles is crazily cheap for what it can do, period
Hi I just bought the cradle what you have modded?

Mar 8, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #33,819 of 45,723
Another thing i need to clarify, i seldom listen to 16bit 44.1khz redbook flac. Most of my collections are high-res or the high quality 24/96 1st press vinyl transfer, or DSD files extracted from my SACD collections. And i always avoid Remasters like a plague unless the minority that was very tastefully done.

Yes i have a fairly large physical records collections to support my pursuit. Im also a part-time partner of a metal music label/distro so i get hold of many master tapes.

Most CD redbook, unless recorded very nicely like Telarc or old Philips, sounds vertically squashed to me, in terms of staging, where i can spot distortions more easily.

I agree these firmwares really show the difference between 320kbps and 24bit. People can argue that and I simply don’t care. Interestingly hearing this song in 24bit the drums have an attack which shows multilayering of elements perfectly separated. The bass and guitar start and find themselves in perfect placement in the soundstage. We as listeners can get too sidetracked by things which are not actually accurate. Where here, I assume it’s playback is the way it was intended, with no exaggeration at hand?

1A -Solis U- 24bit-ZENTOO 4core-Noble Audio K-10 Encore

:)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #33,820 of 45,723
Tried Solis with my stock 1Z (E region), and it’s very very similar with U1.02. The only difference is the bass in U1.02 is fuller and has more impact than Solis.

Solis has a touch lighter bass, but the quality is absolutely there. Maybe because it’s tuned with J region, the bass sounds a bit lighter on E region. Still going back and forth between Solis and U1.02. I wish Solis has just a touch more bass and it‘d be perfect :)

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #33,821 of 45,723
Tried Solis with my stock 1Z (E region), and it’s very very similar with U1.02. The only difference is the bass in U1.02 is fuller and has more impact than Solis.

Solis has a touch lighter bass, but the quality is absolutely there. Maybe because it’s tuned with J region, the bass sounds a bit lighter on E region. Still going back and forth between Solis and U1.02. I wish Solis has just a touch more bass and it‘d be perfect :)

Maybe try out J region then? Bass on Solis is perfect for my EX1000/1Z.

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #33,822 of 45,723
Maybe try out J region then? Bass on Solis is perfect for my EX1000/1Z.

Already tried J before with other mods, but it’s too bassy for my setup (especially paired with my i4), that’s why I reverted back to E.

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #33,823 of 45,723
Once again, thank you both for this great work :)
I have the chance to own a WM1Z, and could buy last week a nearly new WM1A (30 hours), still burning in. I am glad be able to upgrade both with Solis.

My 2 cents to the name challenge :
WM1Z-EL / WM1A-EL, EL being for "enlighted" (by the sun, of course, but not only...) :wink:

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #33,824 of 45,723
Does Solis affect battery life at all?

And is it worth installing on a stock WM1A ir is that not cut out for it?

Ive been using D1.02 with J region for the past week and now I’m starting to think vocals can sound a bit restrained (but fantastic everywhere else)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back