SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #33,481 of 45,723
Get the one at the best price as you can flip the region code at will, the hardcoded origin isn't relevant other than flashing custom firmware and then you just match the file to the hardware; Japan, EU, or International.

Q-6

Thanks. The international version is $1000 less than the USA version on Amazon. I am just concerned about warranty.

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #33,482 of 45,723
I have just tried the remote after switching to J. Confirmed, the NWS20 remote still works on region J, after I switched from region E to region J.

It's a small thing, however to loose the remote would be bad. How are you like the Japan region, personally I'm liking it more and more as I rack up the hours :sunglasses:

Q-6

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #33,484 of 45,723
You don't need to do that.

All you need to do is reboot. So power off and power on and you are on the new region.

Well that is what the RockBox site say you have to do and since they have developed the tool I choose to do what they say

B1006B4D-92BA-4B6E-9E72-170A211F8251.jpeg

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #33,485 of 45,723
Thanks. The international version is $1000 less than the USA version on Amazon. I am just concerned about warranty.

As ever if the deal is too good to be true you should be very cautious. Here in Asia I paid full price for my WM1A and I can get a small discount on WM1Z from the same source and I'm a "stones throw" from Hong Kong...

Q-6

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #33,486 of 45,723
Well that is what the RockBox site say you have to do and since they have developed the tool I choose to do what they say

Given it takes no time at all I'm fine with that one :relaxed:

Q-6

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #33,487 of 45,723
What do you mean by "i missed the easy to handle eq option" ?

i have 2 ciems , Zeus XR and NT6 , so sometimes i like to turn off the Direct Sound mode and use the Equalizer/Tone control , which in my Japan Tourist mode was like this

imagine a button that hasLows/Mids/Highs on 3 different columns that you can adjust them manually bu turning a meter from -10 to +10 in variations of 1 (so -10 -9 -8 up to +8 +9 +10) , 0 being the Direct Sound mode

For instance i used to sometimes put the Highs to -2 (cause NT6 is too trebly) and Lows to +1 (to beef the bass up a bit)

Now i only have th option to do a parametric-like curve which seems like a hassle to me

First World problems , right ?

but i like the J sound signaure from first second , with all these new FWs and the new tight J sound it almost feels like i have bought myself a new DAP

good times ahead.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #33,488 of 45,723
I have spent an all day to measure with DSP Ears 3 firmwares (Stock 3.02, Mercury T1 and Jupiter T3) with 2 Region Codes (CA and J) on an European WM1A ..
I tried the 6 times with and without resetting parameters after loading Firmwares

It is rather very fast with Mercury et Jupiter transfer and it's going more or less like the progress on what we can see IMG_1523 it's rebooting the WMA1
I got no errors and could see every time a successful upgrade DMP-Z1 to actual version is 3.02 (like IMG_1527 and IMG_1536

But on REW 5.19, I can't get any difference in SPL (CaptureSPL.jpg), Spectogram and no real significant difference in RT60 graphs ..

Am I missing something in changing firmawres or it's normal there is almost no change in those measurements ?

Can you check distortions like THD, IMD, and noise? I wouldn't expect to see differences in frequency sweeps. My experience with these is that the firmware versions affect the D to A conversions rather than adding EQ changes. If firmware was mostly changes in frequency, then why would we need it since we have built in EQ settings?

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #33,489 of 45,723
i have 2 ciems , Zeus XR and NT6 , so sometimes i like to turn off the Direct Sound mode and use the Equalizer/Tone control , which in my Japan Tourist mode was like this

imagine a button that hasLows/Mids/Highs on 3 different columns that you can adjust them manually bu turning a meter from -10 to +10 in variations of 1 (so -10 -9 -8 up to +8 +9 +10) , 0 being the Direct Sound mode

For instance i used to sometimes put the Highs to -2 (cause NT6 is too trebly) and Lows to +1 (to beef the bass up a bit)

Now i only have th option to do a parametric-like curve which seems like a hassle to me

but i like the J sound signaure from first second , with all these new FWs and the new tight J sound it almost feels like i have bought myself a new DAP

good times ahead.

Press the toolbox icon when in the eq and you can change between parametric and tone controls

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #33,490 of 45,723
J region is for real. No seriously you all need to go ahead and rockbox your wm1a to J region.

Wow.

Funny how i spend 3 years on E region when all this beauty was 30 seconds away from me (and my ears)

My NT6 sounds fantastic on my stock WM1A, set to J region and Mercury T2

Wow.

Thanx to all you crazies out there , this place is the best community.

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #33,491 of 45,723
Press the toolbox icon when in the eq and you can change between parametric and tone controls

I love you man , seriously.

In a non-homo way , but you are a fantastic human being ,kudos.

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #33,492 of 45,723
Yes. Like I wrote, J is more refined sounding. Bass in not as loose as CA. More detailed and defined and you can hear more fine nuances in the music. Sub digs deeper and mids are not over done like CA. I think J is the best all rounder. And this is coming form a person who loves bass. I get enough clean and pounding bass from J when it needs to be. E was a total disaster for me. Bass was severely lacking and mids were very thin sounding.

Got round to Andromeda on J :sunglasses: Doesn't disappoint for one second, Eric Clapton - Journeyman - DSD, 2.8 Mkz...
600x600bb.jpg
Looking at Campfire Polaris V2 and Sony's own IER-Z1R IEM next. Also want to get with the Quloos QA361 DAP, hear a lot of good and hopefully a great deal on a WM1Z if I'm very lucky. Getting through the album, superb on J region it's all there simple as that...

Q-6

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #33,493 of 45,723

good times ahead.

I love you man , seriously.

In a non-homo way , but you are a fantastic human being ,kudos.

This is exactly why i didnt understand your statement, you can switch between both bro :wink:

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #33,494 of 45,723
J region is for real. No seriously you all need to go ahead and rockbox your wm1a to J region.

Wow.

Funny how i spend 3 years on E region when all this beauty was 30 seconds away from me (and my ears)

My NT6 sounds fantastic on my stock WM1A, set to J region and Mercury T2

Wow.

Thanx to all you crazies out there , this place is the best community.

Shouldnt the nt6 benefit more from jupiter or mars, did you try any of them ?

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #33,495 of 45,723
Can you check distortions like THD, IMD, and noise? I wouldn't expect to see differences in frequency sweeps. My experience with these is that the firmware versions affect the D to A conversions rather than adding EQ changes. If firmware was mostly changes in frequency, then why would we need it since we have built in EQ settings?

I will have a look tomorrow, I need to be at the office to have a look to the saved measuring files.. and I will see those figures (but as I can remember right now, I didn't noticed significant differences)
But a lot of people are talking about deeper bass or gain in high frequencies. I really doubt I managed to download correctly to firmwares parameters to my WM1A European version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back