SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #32,537 of 45,723
I have been rolling the firmware from

installation is easy, just do it as you are doing stock firmware. I have been rolling back and forth so many time now...no brick!!!

unzip files >>>>packages>>>software update tool

****Please upgrade to 3.0.2 before applying modified firmware****
Ultimate
DMP 1.0.1
DMP 1.0.2
Stock 3.0.2

Using stock IER Z1R cables and Z1R

There are definitely improved depth and width on the 3 modded firmwares. However, the best to my ears will have to be DMP 1.0.2 as it is detailed but smooth out some of the hot coming lower trebles textures

the DMP 1.0.1 is actually Muddying this very specific sections, the same for Ultimate.

The amazing things is that the stock firmware for my WM1A has a very hot coming Edges of textures on lower trebles. It has sibilant on female vocals and high string pitches.

The modified firmware took care of this, and the differences as described as previously.

I love the DMP Z1 1.0.2 version as it elevates the soundstage exactly where I wanted it, more width and depth, retaining this vertical axis. The overall sound signatures are closely resemble one another. Bass is more articulated with better textures, better controls, still deep and rumbling. Female vocals are so good now, vividly detailed!!! Same as high string and winds.... flutes ... addictive !!!! The high spectrum certainly becomes a lot more airy with all the improved textures, resolutions and precision’s.

Loving it!!!!

Now I am curious, could the stock firmware of WM1Z be ported without additional tweaking to Wm1A ? I would like to try and see if the WM1Z slightly take care of that low treble edges

one thing to note: if you are enjoying the Bass and sub bass on the Walkman currently, you will find the bass on the DMP Z1 1.0.2 to be boring. IMO, this is the bass done right as it is cleaner, better speed, controls, textures. So, please remember that my impressions will be different than your as my unit is very different than your, also preferences. But as far as my experiences goes, the Walkman has a less controlled bass VS the modified firmware one. The Ultimate as provided, or based on V1 of DMP Z1 and trying to combine 1A/Z will have this less controlling bass lines and performances

Download link ?

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #32,539 of 45,723
@morbidis the DMP-Z1 1.02 qlso ported stock FW with.minimal tweaks?

Also i dont see the club nor theatre ones, juat like yesterday (wm2z, LPGT, DMP-Z1 both versions and ultimate)

They are in 2 different shared folders, one with the original 4 and another with the 3 latest ones

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #32,543 of 45,723
Guys I happy to report my u 1.0.2 is working!!!

Wow there is a difference danging.

@Whitigir Is right this is 1 hell of refined signature! Bass dont have that softwarish feel. It all so smooth and natural very impressive!

But I slightly miss the stock 1 timbre which is that rumbly vibrant sound in bass. Also find the overall tonality a slightly less thick. It brings more resolution that way....

We can tell u1.02 sound very very similar to dmp z1!

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #32,544 of 45,723
Yea my zip software was crapy so I got a new one works fine!

Now got club to test and wm2z!

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #32,545 of 45,723
I have wm1a uncapped on region E and i can confirm i have a problem loading some firmwares, it doesnt recognize the device.

Only dmpz1 1.02 and club working, theatre and ultimate not working

Also, i have had old versions of winrar and 7zip, but couldnt extract due to corrupted file, i downloaded a new winrar version it worked fine.

Currently rocking on dmpz1 1.02 and its great ! Waiting to try ultimate 2.

Thanks for your efforts @Morbideath

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #32,546 of 45,723
They are in 2 different shared folders, one with the original 4 and another with the 3 latest ones
Ik tried them, again ultimate sounds cramped and aggressive in the bass and highs
Theatre gives an unnatural timbre and weird resonances sounding mucg like a bathroom or tiled room.

Back with DMP-Z1 1.02

Feb 26, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #32,547 of 45,723
Ik tried them, again ultimate sounds cramped and aggressive in the bass and highs
Theatre gives an unnatural timbre and weird resonances sounding mucg like a bathroom or tiled room.

Back with DMP-Z1 1.02

No aggressiveness for me with u 1.02 its super refined !
Id say its not aggressive enough to my taste lol

Feb 26, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #32,549 of 45,723
Well ysing unmodded-hardware wm1a with MDR-Z1R that hqs the sony kimber kable 4.4
15827439856751710389069284742600.jpg

Feb 26, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #32,550 of 45,723
Wow, just wow wm1a on DMZ 1.02 with ier z1r sounds incredible. I don't think I need my sp2k anymore. I haven't changed firmware on my wm1z yet.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back