SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #30,796 of 45,723
4D10FED5-6CC6-4207-A81F-BA0E3EE1A8E3.jpeg
Anyone actually buys that $10k junk ?

Dec 16, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #30,798 of 45,723
What is the best way to burn in this device. Yes you can play it till the battery drains. Is it safe to leave it hooked up to a USB charger and just play it for eight days straight. Thank you for your tips

life is too short to waste all that time burning in anything... listen enjoy and hopefully if things change it is for the better

Dec 16, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #30,799 of 45,723
What is the best way to burn in this device. Yes you can play it till the battery drains. Is it safe to leave it hooked up to a USB charger and just play it for eight days straight. Thank you for your tips

I don’t think it’s a good thing to drain the battery, from what I have read on here in order to get the maximum life from your WM1A you should not let the charge go below 20% ... and should not keep charging it until it needs it...

I am sure others here know if I have that right and will explain it much better than I can.

If you do want to burn in then there are some compilations files that have a mixture of sound not just music that is designed to burn in efficiently and across the ranges..

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #30,801 of 45,723

I just left it plugged in and playing on repeat during the day when I was away from home and the listened every evening

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #30,802 of 45,723
Hi,

Is there a method make DSD work with EQ?
I always turn on the EQ and most of my song are flac when it changes to DSD the volume just drop down plus some mid and treble are missing....

Thanks

Yes and No.

1/ Yes, DSD can only be EQualized when using Analog EQ. You can buy an external EQ and and Amp. Now, you can EQ it

2/ No, DSD is the last processing step of any digital music. It is already processed. It can not be processed any further, and only need to pass through Low and High pass filters in order to not blow your eardrums or killing your Bats, dogs, animals around you when your speakers are turned on. In fact, improperly done, it can burn out your speakers which is not capable of reproducing such high frequencies.

it is kinda funny when you pay attention to #2 and rethink of High Resolution music. Simply put, Sony just toss that into the market to distinct themselves from Apple and their domination on digital music and MP3, which gives us all a boost into this modern market of high resolution streaming of the least FLAC quality and or higher, with audio and entertainment equipments capable of it everywhere’s. Thank you Sony, honestly, the 2000’ were very boring. Welcome to 2020 and welcome back Sony

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #30,803 of 45,723
Hi,

Is there a method make DSD work with EQ?
I always turn on the EQ and most of my song are flac when it changes to DSD the volume just drop down plus some mid and treble are missing....

Thanks
Yes either listening to music bia the 3.5mm jack or using the 4.4 but disabling the playback DSD in native format under.output options

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #30,804 of 45,723
life is too short to waste all that time burning in anything... listen enjoy and hopefully if things change it is for the better

This. Just listen to it, for freak's sake, what's the worst that can happen?!? Surely you can find another way to waste good electricity while enjoying your gear at the same time.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #30,806 of 45,723
It is an engineering challenge. It's easy to counter your claim here because there is currently NO STANDALONE DAP that is capable of having enough power to drive a planer, is still palm-able with one hand, and can have battery life of 20+ hours with hi-res lossless files and doesn't feel like holding onto a hot potato. Really, try naming even one. Absolutely NO TOTL DAP is capable of having all three, AK doesn't offer one, Cayin doesn't offer one, Lotoo doesn't, Cowon doesn't etc. And some of those devices are MORE expensive than the WM1Z.

It's not an excuse nor is it a poor decision as the reality is there's currently a limit due to laws of physics where you make a balance between 3 factors - power, longevity, size. You can choose between two but cannot have all three. You can have power and longevity, but that means the device will not be portable. You can choose power and size, but that means the battery life will be very limited (short longevity), or you can choose longevity and size, and the trade off is less power. Most makers choose power and size (or rather, they are FORCED to choose this path, because they don't design nor make their own silicon chips and thus is stuck with the standard off the shelf DAC chip + Class A amp architecture), whereas Sony chooses the longevity and size (but they CAN do a DAC chip + Class A amp architecture too if they ever feel like it as they have the know-how, they just choose their S-Mastser Class D architecture because it is technology that is unique to them which differentiate their products from the rest of the pack). That's the key difference that you fail to see here.

What you are stating here is an ALL or NOTHING design choice. That is not what is needed nor realistic. The WM1A/Z is under powered, most agree, and this greatly effects it's performance. There are many planars that present a low impedance load and can be driven REALISTICALLY with a suitable DAP or amp to an enjoyable volume level and still provide 8-10 hours of battery life. I for one do not expect 20+ hours of battery life (and the WM1A/Z does not provide that) but I do expect an adequate power level to enjoy listening with other than "hearing aid" sized headphones. The "magic in design" is to balance these competing priorities and deliver a device that fulfills the expectations of the target market.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #30,807 of 45,723

Yes you can as long as you have the battery save feature on. That will prevent the battery from over charging. However, if you really want to do it "right", you want to give some time in between to let your analog circuit turn off - like one day on, one day off. Over stressing your caps is not good either.

I went straight 100 hrs, then did normal listening for the other 400 hrs.

Dec 16, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #30,809 of 45,723
My WM1Z just went pass 60hrs burn-in and the sound overall is opening up a bit and less thick and dark. Treble seem to boosted a bit on v3.02 imo. Let see what change next after 100 hrs mark.
Luckily I have WM1A to entertain me while the other Walkman burning-in.

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #30,810 of 45,723
What you are stating here is an ALL or NOTHING design choice. That is not what is needed nor realistic. The WM1A/Z is under powered, most agree, and this greatly effects it's performance. There are many planars that present a low impedance load and can be driven REALISTICALLY with a suitable DAP or amp to an enjoyable volume level and still provide 8-10 hours of battery life. I for one do not expect 20+ hours of battery life (and the WM1A/Z does not provide that) but I do expect an adequate power level to enjoy listening with other than "hearing aid" sized headphones. The "magic in design" is to balance these competing priorities and deliver a device that fulfills the expectations of the target market.

No, what YOU are describing is an ALL or NOTHING design choice as you are only using whether the device is able to properly drive a full size planer as the ONLY passing criteria while ignoring all the other benefits of the design choice of the device - namely it is still portable and offers unrivaled battery/playback life while running extremely cool even when playing high demanding hi-resolution lossless files (and DSD). Again, it's a balancing act of choosing TWO factors out of THREE but you can't have ALL three at the same time.

If using your method of argument - I can also setup a hypothetical situation where none of the other DAPs can win except the Walkman. Here's how it would go - I want a device that will last me a cross Pacific Ocean direct flight from Tokyo to New York on a single charge (15+ hours) driving a pair of fairly standard 8/16/32ohm, 105dB/mW sensitivity CIEM, and that includes waiting time at the airport lounge and transportation to and from airport etc playing nothing but FLACs which means I need at least 25 hours playback (yes it most certainly does provide 25 hours playback time for FLACs on Direct Source as it goes 40hrs on mp3s - I've frequently reach that playback time where I travel and not even need to charge the device once), if I have to plug it in even once then it fails. And it has to stay cool as to not burn my crouch when I keep it in my pocket. Oh look only the Sony Walkman wins that challenge! Guess all the other TOTL DAPs made "poor design decisions".

See how silly this kind of argument is? Yet that's the kind of argument you are making regarding hard to drive headphones and the Walkman. Yet I'm more confident that long playback listening is going to be a much more common usage scenario than someone trying to use an open-back planer on a portable device on the move.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back