SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #30,091 of 45,723
i also use Foobar when in USB DAC mode with my WM1A and i think Foobar only goes up to 24/96 (or 24/192 don't remember)

maybe there is another program with higher decoding capabilities than Foobar ?

I use foobar and it plays my 24/192 files and dsd files just fine

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #30,092 of 45,723
It will be awesome and welcome by all 1Z/1A users if only Sony can just set up all the FW versions in a menu so we can just choose the sound we like without having to install and uninstall each setting. It is almost like having six best daps in one.

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #30,093 of 45,723
After listening to all the Firmware, this is how I would rank them. with the WM1A
2.0>1.2>3.01>1.02>3.0>3.02

2.0 has the sub-bass of the 1.2, but gets rids of a bit of the mid-bass bloat, staging is more 3D with increased depth, upper mids are reigned in a bit. Resolution is higher with more micro details.
3.01 loses a lot of the sub-Bass of the 2.0 and 1.2. Stage width is about even on all 3 firmware updates.

2.0, 1.2, 3.01 are all that I could live with very easily, but my preferences have me looking squarely at the 2.0 at the moment.

What an awesome player the WM1A is, sound can be tuned depending on what equipment you are using.
3.0, and 3.02 are more aimed at bassier IEMs, I am guessing the IER-ZIR and Legend X would do very well with them specifically.

I love hearing this!
I have sony ier-zi1
Legend x should be here soon

Wish I could get layla aion in 4.4 balanced.. it has new cable and haven't heard great things with 2.5 to 4.4 converters ( taking recommendations! )

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #30,094 of 45,723
I love hearing this!
I have sony ier-zi1
Legend x should be here soon

Wish I could get layla aion in 4.4 balanced.. it has new cable and haven't heard great things with 2.5 to 4.4 converters ( taking recommendations! )
Effect Audio Pentaconn 2.5 to 4.4 adapter worked really well for me. Didn't hear any degradation in SQ. IMO

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #30,095 of 45,723
It will be awesome and welcome by all 1Z/1A users if only Sony can just set up all the FW versions in a menu so we can just choose the sound we like without having to install and uninstall each setting. It is almost like having six best daps in one.
that have i tought, sony must implement filters like slow, fast rolloff and so on. These are today implemented but are only for DSD in non-native form playback

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #30,096 of 45,723
Did you try the vinyl processing on on the 3.x?

Tried quite sometime ago while using JVC FW01. Not a good match and drained battery too fast to justify any improvement if any. Might try again if I ever go back FW 3.02. Currently enjoying FW 1.2. Got my WM1A with default FW2.0 so FW 1.2 is new to me. To me, FW 1.2 is the kind of signature I've been looking for to match with the "Chillout" tracks I mostly listened to now. My way to decompress after work.

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #30,097 of 45,723
I bought the official folding Sony leather case and would not do it again I would avoid it just because the silly way it folds is inconvenient .... the one I settled on and really like is the fat bear wm1a case from amazon .... it’s not too bulky but seems like it will offer an basic otter box commuter like drop protection.
2EE37838-D215-4665-B41A-D3D181BAC6FE.jpeg

I have too many headphones and like to sell some

A year ago i ordered a mdrz1r and funny story it just arrived

meanwhile now I own a stellia as well

I will sell my sp1000 which is not getting any airtime

but I will never sell 1z

my question is should I keep 1zr - I can sell it because it is sealed box yet -

is there a magic between 1zr and 1z ?

or will I be happy with utopia/stellia paring

I bought the kimber cable as well for 1zr...

anybody compared stellia with 1zr using z1 walkman?

Oct 15, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #30,099 of 45,723
I have too many headphones and like to sell some

A year ago i ordered a mdrz1r and funny story it just arrived

meanwhile now I own a stellia as well

I will sell my sp1000 which is not getting any airtime

but I will never sell 1z

my question is should I keep 1zr - I can sell it because it is sealed box yet -

is there a magic between 1zr and 1z ?

or will I be happy with utopia/stellia paring

I bought the kimber cable as well for 1zr...

anybody compared stellia with 1zr using z1 walkman?

Ah! Em, tell me, the Kimber cable, did it make a noticeable change at all. Is it recommended?
While you are there, how does the Stella compare to the 1Zr.

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #30,100 of 45,723
Not sure if it happens to any one of the wm1z owners..but my Sony wm1z gets flagged nearly 70-80% of the time at airport security ..even though I put it in a tray and open the pelican case which I use to transport it. They are baffled it is a music player. Latest one at heathrow T5 the security person said it has too much metal for its size hence was flagged.. don’t I know it.. TSA flagged because it glows like Christmas light on scanner because of the gold finish and they want to double check.. but all I can say it is a conversation piece built like a tank but sounds sooooooo amazing

PC

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #30,102 of 45,723
I bought the official folding Sony leather case and would not do it again I would avoid it just because the silly way it folds is inconvenient .... the one I settled on and really like is the fat bear wm1a case from amazon .... it’s not too bulky but seems like it will offer an basic otter box commuter like drop protection.
How convenient is it to press the buttons from your pant pockets? I prefer the default leather case as silicon case makes it too hard to press the buttons over any cloth.
LOL, I wouldn’t even turn on with condensation. Way to afraid of shorting out chips and battery.
Good thinking. But it's working fine so far. Just sounded weird all the songs that that day, but later after 2 hours it sounded normal again. Appreciation goes to Sony's incredible built :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #30,104 of 45,723
Not sure if it happens to any one of the wm1z owners..but my Sony wm1z gets flagged nearly 70-80% of the time at airport security ..even though I put it in a tray and open the pelican case which I use to transport it. They are baffled it is a music player. Latest one at heathrow T5 the security person said it has too much metal for its size hence was flagged.. don’t I know it.. TSA flagged because it glows like Christmas light on scanner because of the gold finish and they want to double check.. but all I can say it is a conversation piece built like a tank but sounds sooooooo amazing

PC
I've haven't had any issues with my 1Z going thru TSA, but I am Pre-Check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back