SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #29,102 of 45,723
@gerelmx1986, so it shows DSD 11.2 even though 1A doesn't support the resolution? Does it down sampling to 256? Can you hear any difference?

Forget my question above, I got confused DSD 11.2 as DSD 512. It is actually DSD 256.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #29,105 of 45,723
Aug 7, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #29,106 of 45,723
Forgot how good a wm1a sounds. I'm using some Sony MDR-1AM2 headphones on 4.4 and it sounds great and is quite portable. What other iems/headphones work well with this player?
I like bass but good clarity in the other frequencies

Aug 7, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #29,107 of 45,723
Aug 7, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #29,108 of 45,723
Haha love it so much

DSD 512 is at 22.4896MHz
almost a year haha :D

Or about 7 hours a day every day since you bought it. I’m at about 2 hours every day

Aug 7, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #29,109 of 45,723
Commute IEMs arrived Fiio FA7
15651749988933166657075663822807.jpg

Aug 7, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #29,110 of 45,723
Forgot how good a wm1a sounds. I'm using some Sony MDR-1AM2 headphones on 4.4 and it sounds great and is quite portable. What other iems/headphones work well with this player?
I like bass but good clarity in the other frequencies

It’s really hard for me to recommend IEMs at times, due to it being so personal. I can recommend some to at least try?

If you wanted flagships the IER-Z1R is a great combo with the 1A. I use the included 4.4mm balanced cable. There are also a couple other “goofballs” like me in this thread who like the IER-Z1R. Though the IEM is big and heavy; not getting fit with everyone. I like the IER-Z1R with everything though it may be slightly withdrawn with lower male vocals like Sinatra? I avoid him, and avoid Bing Crosby so it’s cool.

For more midrange and neutrality the Noble Encore is a masterpiece! It’s said that the Encore is close to the HD800 in tone? I can’t confirm that?

The 1A joins the Encore balanced with the Han Sound Audio Zen 4 wire OCC litz copper cable terminated Furutech 4.4mm. I use this more for metal. Though music like “The Cure” sound perfect with both to my ears. EDM the IER-Z1R, classic rock sound great on both?

Both IEMs are around $1800, but could last years if they fit you correctly? Noble just released the new Khan flagship, though I’m not sure I like it, it was mid-forward to my ears? Though I didn’t spend a lot of time with it? Some people love the Khan?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #29,111 of 45,723
Aug 7, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #29,112 of 45,723
It’s really hard for me to recommend IEMs at times, due to it being so personal. I can recommend some to at least try?

If you wanted flagships the IER-Z1R is a great combo with the 1A. I use the included 4.4mm balanced cable. There are also a couple other “goofballs” like me in this thread who like the IER-Z1R. Though the IEM is big and heavy; not getting fit with everyone. I like the IER-Z1R with everything though it may be slightly withdrawn with lower male vocals like Sinatra? I avoid him, and avoid Bing Crosby so it’s cool.

For more midrange and neutrality the Noble Encore is a masterpiece! It’s said that the Encore is close to the HD800 in tone? I can’t confirm that?

The 1A joins the Encore balanced with the Han Sound Audio Zen 4 wire OCC litz copper cable terminated Furutech 4.4mm. I use this more for metal. Though music like “The Cure” sound perfect with both to my ears. EDM the IER-Z1R, classic rock sound great on both?

Both IEMs are around $1800, but could last years if they fit you correctly? Noble just released the new Khan flagship, though I’m not sure I like it, it was mid-forward to my ears? Though I didn’t spend a lot of time with it? Some people love the Khan?
I'm a metal head so maybe the encore would suit me best. Also I notice you have the Sony z7 headphones, have you tried z7ii?

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #29,113 of 45,723
I'm a metal head so maybe the encore would suit me best. Also I notice you have the Sony z7 headphones, have you tried z7ii?

No, but the Z7 was an impulse due to it being a close-out. Don’t know anything about the MK2? What I’m trying to say is the IER-Z1R is great for Metal too, it’s more personal preference than technicality because of the level this stuff is at. It’s more like just what you want? Though I’m sure in the $20-$100 there could actually be some that do genres better? The top flagships can be pretty complete. Though it depends on what your after. I think a bunch of metal heads like darker tone like the Sony Z5 or the Noble Audio Original K-10? The Encore can be both smooth and a little buzz-saw like with metal? But for an hour or two the buzz-saw of speed is fun?

The original Z7 does electronic really good. Great for the price you can find them at. Though they may need more power than the 1A to get over small issues they have? They are nice even with the included stock cable and the Schiit Asgard One. The Schiit amp is on the bright side, so it ends up a pretty good union with the original Z7. Again all this stuff is so personal; nothing can replace a good demo experience! Still in a pinch the 1A and Z7 sound really good. In my opinion the 1A and Z7 is best with the Kimber aftermarket cable.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #29,114 of 45,723
As a metalhead you should look into the Atlas.

Aug 7, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #29,115 of 45,723

Maybe you could give Noble Audio Khan a try as well. The tonality on their flagships are just :astonished:

These are really a joy to listen not just metal but any genres in my humble opinion.

Sorry i'm just lurking in this thread and i don't even own a 1A/Z but one day i will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back