SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #29,071 of 45,723
I bought another Z5 (after selling the first) and kept the Sony kimber cable as I didn’t have the 1Z at that time.

The sound of the Z5 is hard to leave and I needed something “Sony” to use around in rough environment.

Z5 has the perfect bass and
mids for high res audio. The M9 sounds great too but the design and fit of M9 appeals more to me.

I have not tried H3 balanced on 1A/1Z.

How are u enjoying Z1R and how it compares with your old Z5?

@DONTGIVEUP did you try the XBA-H3 in balanced from your Wm1z? How does the sound change? I remember when I had them they had a pretty noticiable mid-bass emphasis that leaked into mids, giving them a hollow signature, a signature like listening to music on a tile-covered room (echoing with so much resonances and standing waves)

The Z5 is amazing. I do really like them. Though the fit is so strange. It’s like a USB stick attempting to be set into your ear. Sony tried to lock it down with those included cables but they were trouble too. So as far as sound the Z5 has a natural cohesive charm still making it competitive today in the $500 range. IMO

But even while using the Z5 before the IER-Z1R came out I wanted more treble and mid-action. Though after listening to the IER-Z1R for 60 days.......going back shows the Z5 to actually have way-way more bass. It’s crazy, but you get less “fog” with the sub-bass tune of the IER-Z1R. Also it’s heads above in all other areas.......better treble detail and extension, better imaging, faster......bigger soundstage.....even though it has big mid-recession, the midrange is still there. So... it’s a continuation of the sound Sony has been developing. But the treble with the IER-Z1R may be a little intense for some? Also they don’t fit everyone. But one great thing is the included cables which are better than many aftermarket cables and better than the MMCX Kimber. IMO

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #29,072 of 45,723
Seems like the wm1A and wm1z will be the last high-end walkman (together with the DMP-Z1) to have no wifi

Thats seems to be the leak for zx500... nothing seems to be leak on the 1a or z yet but none the less I am pumped!

Aug 5, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #29,073 of 45,723
The Z5 is amazing. I do really like them. Though the fit is so strange. It’s like a USB stick attempting to be set into your ear. Sony tried to lock it down with those included cables but they were trouble too. So as far as sound the Z5 has a natural cohesive charm still making it competitive today in the $500 range. IMO

But even while using the Z5 before the IER-Z1R came out I wanted more treble and mid-action. Though after listening to the IER-Z1R for 60 days.......going back shows the Z5 to actually have way-way more bass. It’s crazy, but you get less “fog” with the sub-bass time of the IER-Z1R. Also it’s heads above in all other areas.......better treble detail and extension, better imaging, faster......bigger soundstage.....even though it has big mid-recession, the midrange is still there. So... it’s a continuation of the sound Sony has been developing. But the treble with the IER-Z1R may be a little intense for some? Also they don’t fit everyone. But one great thing is the included cables which are better than many aftermarket cables and better than the MMCX Kimber. IMO

The more I listen the more i notice the bass or Z1R is not like skull crushing but rather very control and impactful when is needed... Not to mention the decay... is so awwwww!

I am currently waiting for a silver cable from Satin Audio.. will update

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #29,075 of 45,723
Has anyone here with an WM1A gone from Andros to the Z1Rs? thoughts?

Never heard the CA IEMs but there is a interesting learning curve when you get the IER-Z1R. The bass is so smooth and has both physicality and decay. The whole IEM performs in almost the opposite way of full BA IEMs. But when the IER-Z1R honeymoon is over you can still appreciate what full BA IEMs do different in their own inept way. IMO

Due to the slight hollow sound of BA bass, it becomes both a thrill realizing what the IER-Z1R is doing, then it is possible later to somehow clue in on the BA bass and enjoy the speed and detail of it, even though it’s not as technically correct. IMO

Though some folks get into DD bass so deep that afterwords trying something like EDM with a full BA set never is the same again. It’s just that BA bass no matter what, is never going to be the same, no matter what the builder does. IMO

I would think people would have both and use them for different genres?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #29,077 of 45,723
Never heard the CA IEMs but there is a interesting learning curve when you get the IER-Z1R. The bass is so smooth and has both physicality and decay. The whole IEM performs in almost the opposite way of full BA IEMs. But when the IER-Z1R honeymoon is over you can still appreciate what full BA IEMs do different in their own inept way. IMO

Due to the slight hollow sound of BA bass, it becomes both a thrill realizing what the IER-Z1R is doing, then it is possible later to somehow clue in on the BA bass and enjoy the speed and detail of it, even though it’s not as technically correct. IMO

Though some folks get into DD bass so deep that afterwords trying something like EDM with a full BA set never is the same again. It’s just that BA bass no matter what, is never going to be the same, no matter what the builder does. IMO

I would think people would have both and use them for different genres?

Thanks for reply. I actually ended up demoing them for about 90 minutes today with my wm1a. Man, what a rollercoaster of emotions. At times, i thought, im buying these on the spot. Then on another track, i would be disappointed. I had side by side with my andros and i thoght the soundstage on the andros, mostly, was superior. Surprised as i had read the SS on the Z1Rs was "gargantuan"

The bass though fckkkkkkkkkkkkk. My experience on the andros is usually either "bass is spot on" at best, and "bass is too weak" at worst, track dependent.

On the Z1Rs the bass that was "too weak" on tracks with teh andros, was spot on with the Z1R's but then i felt some tracks the bass was overrrrrkill and actually felt like it closed the sound off somewhat. I will try again with different tips next week. I still want the Z1Rs because when it sounds good, it sounds fckn fantastic.

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #29,078 of 45,723
Thanks for reply. I actually ended up demoing them for about 90 minutes today with my wm1a. Man, what a rollercoaster of emotions. At times, i thought, im buying these on the spot. Then on another track, i would be disappointed. I had side by side with my andros and i thoght the soundstage on the andros, mostly, was superior. Surprised as i had read the SS on the Z1Rs was "gargantuan"

The bass though fckkkkkkkkkkkkk. My experience on the andros is usually either "bass is spot on" at best, and "bass is too weak" at worst, track dependent.

On the Z1Rs the bass that was "too weak" on tracks with teh andros, was spot on with the Z1R's but then i felt some tracks the bass was overrrrrkill and actually felt like it closed the sound off somewhat. I will try again with different tips next week. I still want the Z1Rs because when it sounds good, it sounds fckn fantastic.
Remember to feed them with good.mastered tracks and lossless files

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #29,079 of 45,723
Remember to feed them with good.mastered tracks and lossless files

Of course :) my library of 24bit flac is fairly smallish, but everything else i have is lossless. I listen to mainly electronic music (non commercial) so its sometimes a bit tricky to find well mastered tracks with complex layering etc but i do have some i like to test on the player when testing out other IEMs.

But yeah....probably going to get them in a few weeks ahhhh.

Aug 6, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #29,080 of 45,723
Of course :) my library of 24bit flac is fairly smallish, but everything else i have is lossless. I listen to mainly electronic music (non commercial) so its sometimes a bit tricky to find well mastered tracks with complex layering etc but i do have some i like to test on the player when testing out other IEMs.

But yeah....probably going to get them in a few weeks ahhhh.
The 97% of my library is 16/44,1 FLAC, the remaining 3% is 24 bit or DSD (about 60 SACD )

Aug 6, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #29,081 of 45,723
15650799729083774399742626560373.jpg

Aug 6, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #29,082 of 45,723

Well, again I’ve never heard the CA Andromeda but.......I have an idea of what full BA IEMs sound like.

It’s on the edge of impossible to compare two very different IEMs at the same time; as we acclimate.The two are at extreme ends of the spectrum, though in reality you have two groups at Head-Fi which like both. The problem is when trying to determine which is best. The IER-Z1R thread is full of new owners who have sold their Andromeda IEMs off.

The two IEMs will trade off making different files sound better. It’s against the idea of folks who basically think one IEM should be superior. It’s also going to be a type of mental-gymnastics if someone was to own both. At times the IER-Z1R could make the Andromeda sound thin. Of course there are people who think the IER-Z1R is too bass heavy? So it goes at Head-Fi. Though there could be someone who owns and learns to love both for their unique qualities. Headphones are the same way. Though I rarely listen to my AKG k701s as they sound too thin nowadays? As consumers we slowly migrate across sound signatures.

What your trying to do is very difficult. As if you had one IEM at home you MAY get used to it? Meaning after time folks CAN mentally adjust. Sometimes they move on to something else over and over. That’s a different issue as some will never be happy. But our goal is to find a home with a signature and have it for years. Though anymore I wonder if it’s simply better to have a couple IEMs? If anything it can justify more purchases? :)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #29,083 of 45,723
Has anyone here with an WM1A gone from Andros to the Z1Rs? thoughts?
I listen to both, i own Andros, sweet, detail, and well balanced throughout sound frequency. I listened to Z1R two weeks ago rather short time, more bass, not as detail as Andros.

To my liking, I prefer Andros that's the sound similar to my HD 650.

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #29,084 of 45,723
I rhink @Redcarmoose ohne said that the IER-Z1R has.more physical Bass to it than the MDR-Z1R, and that at times can the MDR-Z1R sound bass shy.

Not so I think, good bass as the IER-Z1R
15650883892947641351675377097775.jpg 15650884295014205592574846998380.jpg

Aug 6, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #29,085 of 45,723
I rhink @Redcarmoose ohne said that the IER-Z1R has.more physical Bass to it than the MDR-Z1R, and that at times can the MDR-Z1R sound bass shy.

Not so I think, good bass as the IER-Z1R

I think there is more physical feeling to the bass on the MDR as it moves more air and affects the area of skin around the ear as well, but they may well be more direct ear drum slam from the IER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back