SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #28,306 of 45,723
Have you tried the Z7MK2s? (I know echineko has but not sure about Redcarmoose) How would you compare it with the originals?

Wow thank you for the very detailed response @Redcarmoose! After reading your response i think I'm going to think it over the week as to whether i should buy it or the cheaper mdr 1a. Again thanks for the response :D

One of the time reasons I have the Z7 is I found them new for $360. There may be some close-outs still around? Have not heard the MII edition?

Jun 10, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #28,307 of 45,723
Wow thank you for the very detailed response @Redcarmoose! After reading your response i think I'm going to think it over the week as to whether i should buy it or the cheaper mdr 1a. Again thanks for the response :D
This is based off of what I remember, but from a short demo of the Z7 at a store around 2018, the sound signature was quite similar to the MDR-1A, so sound signature wise you'll be getting a similar experience for either.

Jun 10, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #28,308 of 45,723
This is based off of what I remember, but from a short demo of the Z7 at a store around 2018, the sound signature was quite similar to the MDR-1A, so sound signature wise you'll be getting a similar experience for either.
Oh thats good to hear! i think i just might buy the 1a and if i like it i'll get the z7 :D

Jun 10, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #28,309 of 45,723
5F928DE4-13E3-4E1A-8948-04E3F18F369A.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #28,312 of 45,723
The reason why I'm not interested in other iems.
8rhd4b3ano331.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #28,316 of 45,723
Now I plan to buy WM1A. Should I wait the next gen or buy it now? This model almost 3 years. Can anyone help me make a decision?

Sound performances aside, the components that were built and engineered onto the WM1A is not your typical components. There are a lot of Polyester Multi-Layered capacitors and MELF resistors , both are well known for high quality audio performances and scientifically retaining the original frequencies very very well with one of the highest precision and lowest transfer property (or degradation).

Could there be new generation ? Who knows ? Even so, the next generation improvement would be the Digital Amplifier itself ...or (S-Master). The rest of the analog components may be designed to handle more power, but that is about it.

Though, I am not sure when the next and newer S-master is going to be developed

One thing for sure is that Wm1A is built very cheap for the MSRP, and that is all I can tell. If you are only using with In ear buds and already auditioned WM1A, and like it, then there is no reason to wait. A safer approach would be to buy a used WM1A in great condition to save money and skip the burn-in process all together without losing much money if the next one is coming out. This transitional time for audio gear is what I called “Golden time”. It is the Windows where people are bored of their older devices, and want to sell it, while the next one may be cooking and in coming....those who is selling the devices is usually keep on rolling toward newer gears with their disposable income, and not necessarily have to be waiting for the same brand loyalty or whatever reason....they simply are bored. This is the “Golden time” for WM series, period. Usually, Golden time starts as soon as 7 months from a product released, and it keeps getting better until the peak level at around 3-4 months before new products are rolling off the manufacturers production lines

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #28,317 of 45,723
Now I plan to buy WM1A. Should I wait the next gen or buy it now? This model almost 3 years. Can anyone help me make a decision?

If you like the sound and the features it should last you for many years to come

Jun 11, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #28,319 of 45,723
Get it. It might be 3 years old, but as far as I am concerned it's still one of the best DAPs on the market.
It just plays music, and plays it beautifully.
Every time I listen to a High res album on my setup, I am just blown away. Almost no distortion, zero background noise, incredible dynamics, all the micro details you can handle, and class leading true to life tonality as far as I am concerned.
Give a fully burnt in WM1A with 3.01 firmware a listen, I think you will like what you hear.
Sony really outdid themselves here.
20190602_150422.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back