SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #27,991 of 45,723
I have just posted that following post in the DMP-Z1 thread, I hope the next version of WM1Z will increase power output by at least ten times.

“The only quality missing with the WM1Z which is the same as the DMP is the relative lower output power. The recent crop of DAPs all have much higher amping power. Like the Cayin N8, Ibasso DX220, LPGT etc. with the most rediculous one being the AK Khan Cube. The Khan Cube has 12 Vrms that is equal to a whopping 4.8 watts into 30 ohm, 3.6 watts into 40 ohm, 2.4 watts into 60 ohm and even at 100 ohm it will give 1.4 watts of driving power. In addition to these amazing driving power, the unit used for these rating is Volt per root mean square (rms), meaning that the rating refers to is average driving power and not peak or maximum power something very different from ratings that use maximum output. In other words let say if it is a 6 Vrms into 30 ohm it will have 1.2 watt but in critical moment it will actually deliver 1.7 watts of power giving much better headroom.”

May 19, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #27,992 of 45,723
I have just posted that following post in the DMP-Z1 thread, I hope the next version of WM1Z will increase power output by at least ten times.

“The only quality missing with the WM1Z which is the same as the DMP is the relative lower output power. The recent crop of DAPs all have much higher amping power. Like the Cayin N8, Ibasso DX220, LPGT etc. with the most rediculous one being the AK Khan Cube. The Khan Cube has 12 Vrms that is equal to a whopping 4.8 watts into 30 ohm, 3.6 watts into 40 ohm, 2.4 watts into 60 ohm and even at 100 ohm it will give 1.4 watts of driving power. In addition to these amazing driving power, the unit used for these rating is Volt per root mean square (rms), meaning that the rating refers to is average driving power and not peak or maximum power something very different from ratings that use maximum output. In other words let say if it is a 6 Vrms into 30 ohm it will have 1.2 watt but in critical moment it will actually deliver 1.7 watts of power giving much better headroom.”

I’d much rather have the insane long battery life of the current players as opposed to more power and shorter battery life

May 19, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #27,993 of 45,723

I think the issue of power output on this thread is kind of overlooking a couple of issues. First, what about the synergy between the DAC and amp sections of a DAP, and how does that affect the overall SQ of the DAP? Secondly, what headphones is everyone trying to use on their DAP? Full size phones for me require a desktop set, but that's just me. Lastly, I don't know if I'd be satisfied with Kann Cube's 8 hours of operating time between charges. IMO

May 19, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #27,995 of 45,723
is wm1a gonna be discontinued ? amazon uk shows it as ''out of stock'' which seemd weird....

i think for us on a budget it hits the sweet post of great sound - huge battery - USB DAC offer

i also see very few(if zero) wm1a being sold here , so this probably shows that most wm1a users are also satisfied with what they paid/got

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #27,996 of 45,723
is wm1a gonna be discontinued ? amazon uk shows it as ''out of stock'' which seemd weird....

i think for us on a budget it hits the sweet post of great sound - huge battery - USB DAC offer

i also see very few(if zero) wm1a being sold here , so this probably shows that most wm1a users are also satisfied with what they paid/got

I would agree with you regarding wanting to keep this gem of a DAP. I also rank my Calyx M and LPG in that keeper category

May 19, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #27,997 of 45,723
I have been deciding what to go to from my QP1R and the WM1A is on my list. I am hesitant to get one now since my QP1R is great minus the UI and mostly because I am expecting the WM1A to be replaced with a new model in the next year.

May 19, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #27,998 of 45,723
I have been deciding what to go to from my QP1R and the WM1A is on my list. I am hesitant to get one now since my QP1R is great minus the UI and mostly because I am expecting the WM1A to be replaced with a new model in the next year.

Hi there !
Yesterday I asked a Sony boy at french Sound Days about WM1A/Z replacement...?
The answer was : «WM1 is part of 70th Signature Series and will stay and last as it and will be not replaced... there will be something new as DAP and should be announced at Berlin IFA in septembre of course BECAUSE of the Walkman 40th anniversary... »
So... 4 months waiting for...
Cheers

May 19, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #27,999 of 45,723
F5705EB3-2CC1-4558-B593-58384395BDA5.jpeg

People have been waiting and waiting Sony to make something new. The three years the Signature DAPs have been out have been a lifetime in Head-Fi time.

Still with the question of more power, of course a desktop rig will power full size headphones better? But even with the power hungry IER-Z1R the 1A and 1Z are more than powerful enough. Yes a desktop gets slightly better damping factor.....but still?

All my IEMs are powered perfectly and with added long battery life and great sound........isn’t the sound quality what this is all about?

To love the 1A and 1Z, is to love them for what they are. Still other DAPs get hot, only run for a couple hours or don’t sound quite the same. It may be a couple more years before new Sony DAPs arrive?

For now though.....it’s safe to say we are enjoying a classic!

Personally I was a little late for the party....buying the 1Z on November 9th, 2017. I’m just glad I didn't start waiting for a new Sony DAP then.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #28,000 of 45,723

So you don't want to buy a known great product (provided you like how it sounds and works) because at some unknown time in the future there might be a new unknown product ?
I suppose that is a great way of saving money since you are then never going to buy anything ever.

May 19, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #28,001 of 45,723
So you don't want to buy a known great product (provided you like how it sounds and works) because at some unknown time in the future there might be a new unknown product ?
I suppose that is a great way of saving money since you are then never going to buy anything ever.

If I did not already have a great sounding DAP, I would buy it now.

Attachments

• 02E41C22-CB15-4C42-A89A-CC8BFC667225.png
    02E41C22-CB15-4C42-A89A-CC8BFC667225.png
    778.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #28,002 of 45,723
May 19, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #28,003 of 45,723
I can't wait for the day when they can shrink the DMP-Z1 down to the size of the WM1A. That'll really be something else.
In the meantime, very very happy with this beast of a player. It does not compromise on SQ one iota. And not having to charge it constantly is a big big big deal for me, it is portable in the truest sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back