SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #27,753 of 45,723
Apr 22, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #27,755 of 45,723
A couple of questions for an on the way (shipped) new purchase of an WM1Z:

* Is the MUC-B20SB1Sony-Kimber cable set a decent set to go with ? _____________ (I don't have the Z1R's yet, but remain hopeful, that soon)

* Why are the MUC-B20SB1 virtually non existent to purchase here in the USA ?__________

* Will the MUC-B20SB1 mini / 3.5 ends connect without issue to a pair of Pioneer SE-Monitor5 set of headphones ?_________ (I don't know of the B20SB1's have that screw on connector style)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #27,756 of 45,723

* Is the MUC-B20SB1Sony-Kimber cable set a decent set to go with ? _____________ (I don't have the Z1R's yet, but remain hopeful, that soon)

* Why are the MUC-B20SB1 virtually non existent to purchase here in the USA ?__________

* Will the MUC-B20SB1 mini / 3.5 ends connect without issue to a pair of Pioneer SE-Monitor5 set of headphones ?_________ (I don't know of the B20SB1's have that screw on connector style)

Thank You
MUC-B20SB1 mini / 3.5 ends should connect without any problem without screwing on the ends

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #27,757 of 45,723

The MUC-B20SB1 is a gift from the universe to us. It’s single character somehow rearranges and refines the full-size Z1R. I use it with my Sony Z7 flagships, the Z1R and both 1A and 1Z plus TA desktop amp. I’m surprised as I just became lucky getting it. The cable was free with my Z1R headphones. I would have never searched it out. In fact the store ended up giving me the floor model cable as they were sold out during the special.

What it does:
It’s mini 3.5mm plugs should fit other headphone inputs with mini plugs though I’ve never used it other than with Sony. Seen it work with other stuff on-line without the screw-tips being locked down. The friction of it being pressed on inside the headphone should slightly hold it in place, like it does with the Sony gear. Not sure about polarity being right, though?

Sound:
Folks have had slight response issues with the Z1R to the point that the Sony MUC-B20SB1 gets recommended in the Z1R thread with profound consistency. It’s a band-aid which smooths out the treble and opens it up soundstage wise. Both the Z7 and Z1R can come off as slightly bright to some who are treble sensitive. Also depending on front end character boosting treble from flat.

Mid:
The cable somehow expands the mids and smooths out the frequency response. Secondary only to the bass-fog-band-aid; you hear of folks really getting into the MUC-B20SB1 change in this important area. Including myself, many have become critical of the Z7/Z1R mids and found the cable to be as essential as air.

Lower Mids:
This area normally with stock cables has had whole groups getting their shorts in a bundle over; trying to use the included cable and subjectively judging end sound.

The Kimber cable does an amazing job of getting rid of the slight fog in the Z7 and Z1R. The upper bass/ lower midrange gets a focus and detail being pushed 3D into a living area with-in the soundstage. It’s this end help which is maybe the most needed and most noticeable? Maybe? Though some may focus on the overall detail and smoothness added in contrast to provided stock cables.

Bass:
Added detail, which ends up making Z7 and Z1R bass-tone seem faster somehow?

In the end this change has many gaining disrespect for the included Z1R cables? How can a top-line headphone with so much detail in design and craftsmanship be given a wrong sounding cable? Huh?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #27,758 of 45,723

I never heard the Sony-Kimber but people who have heard both say the Kimber AXIOS is even better but at 3x the cost.

Apr 22, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #27,759 of 45,723
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #27,760 of 45,723
The MUC-B20SB1 is a gift from the universe to us. It’s single character somehow rearranges and refines the full-size Z1R. I use it with my Sony Z7 flagships, the Z1R and both 1A and 1Z plus TA desktop amp. I’m surprised as I just became lucky getting it. The cable was free with my Z1R headphones. I would have never searched it out. In fact the store ended up giving me the floor model cable as they were sold out during the special.

What it does:
It’s mini 3.5mm plugs should fit other headphone inputs with mini plugs though I’ve never used it other than with Sony. Seen it work with other stuff on-line without the screw-tips being locked down. The friction of it being pressed on inside the headphone should slightly hold it in place, like it does with the Sony gear. Not sure about polarity being right, though?

Sound:
Folks have had slight response issues with the Z1R to the point that the Sony MUC-B20SB1 gets recommended in the Z1R thread with profound consistency. It’s a band-aid which smooths out the treble and opens it up soundstage wise. Both the Z7 and Z1R can come off as slightly bright to some who are treble sensitive. Also depending on front end character boosting treble from flat.

Mid:
The cable somehow expands the mids and smooths out the frequency response. Secondary only to the bass-fog-band-aid; you hear of folks really getting into the MUC-B20SB1 change in this important area. Including myself, many have become critical of the Z7/Z1R mids and found the cable to be as essential as air.

Lower Mids:
This area normally with stock cables has had whole groups getting their shorts in a bundle over; trying to use the included cable and subjectively judging end sound.

The Kimber cable does an amazing job of getting rid of the slight fog in the Z7 and Z1R. The upper bass/ lower midrange gets a focus and detail being pushed 3D into a living area with-in the soundstage. It’s this end help which is maybe the most needed and most noticeable? Maybe? Though some may focus on the overall detail and smoothness added in contrast to provided stock cables.

Bass:
Added detail, which ends up making Z7 and Z1R bass-tone seem faster somehow?

In the end this change has many gaining disrespect for the included Z1R cables? How can a top-line headphone with so much detail in design and craftsmanship be given a wrong sounding cable? Huh?

Grateful for the responses... Thank You for taking the the time here in explaining in very helpful detail !!!

Apr 22, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #27,762 of 45,723
With my 1Z and Z1R combo I've heard the stock cable, the Sony/Kimber and the super high dollar Double Helix Prion 4 silver cables. The Kimber was good but a bit bloated in the mid bass and not as transparent as Silver Litz. The Prion sounded the best but $$$$$!!! Very clean and best feel of space in the soundstage, cleaned up the bass in every regard. So I sold that and got a reasonably priced OCC Silver Litz cable that was way more flexible and sounded 98% as good. I think Silver Litz is the best sound for this combo IMHO.

Apr 25, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #27,764 of 45,723
Is it advisable to go with the latest, most recent, firmware update for the WM1Z ?

I recall reading somewhere, and of course I can't find it... the last firmware release was felt t have some adverse affects with sound (this person felt). Sorry, a bit vague, searching for my screen shot of the info.

Apr 25, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #27,765 of 45,723
Is it advisable to go with the latest, most recent, firmware update for the WM1Z ?

I recall reading somewhere, and of course I can't find it... the last firmware release was felt t have some adverse affects with sound (this person felt). Sorry, a bit vague, searching for my screen shot of the info.

you can go back and forth with the firmware, so if you don't like one you can try another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back