SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #27,736 of 45,723
A video on the Sony WM1Z and recommended Accessories for those who are thinking of buying this player.

Not to be critical but I’m pretty sure that video would be at the end of the list of videos for someone thinking of buying the player. Though it would be best to be viewed by someone who just purchased one.

A video for someone thinking of buying the 1Z/1A would need to show the relevance today of such a purchase being the players came out in 2016. Many new products have been introduced since then, and a video could show how the Sony Walkmans still hold up. Secondly the video could show the new additions of firmware 3.01 being it now offered DAC functionality as well as AptxHD and Bluetooth sending and receiving. The video would need to show operations of the interface as well as the list of sound modification options such as vinyl character filter. It would need to explain DSD support, DSEE upscale and what S-Master HX digital amplification was about.

As many new players in the field do not offer 4.4mm Pentaconn 5 pole plugs a video could show the benefit and negative opinions on that.

And finally a description of sound and comparisons of the choices concerning the 1A, 1Z and choice of ZX300. At best a direct comparison of sound characteristics comparing the Sony sound to other DAPs in the price range.

So with that in mind the video is useless for a perspective buyer. IMO

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #27,737 of 45,723
Not to be critical but I’m pretty sure that video would be at the end of the list of videos for someone thinking of buying the player. Though it would be best to be viewed by someone who just purchased one.

A video for someone thinking of buying the 1Z/1A would need to show the relevance today of such a purchase being the players came out in 2016. Many new products have been introduced since then, and a video could show how the Sony Walkmans still hold up. Secondly the video could show the new additions of firmware 3.01 being it now offered DAC functionality as well as AptxHD and Bluetooth sending and receiving. The video would need to show operations of the interface as well as the list of sound modification options such as vinyl character filter. It would need to explain DSD support, DSEE upscale and what S-Master HX digital amplification was about.

As many new players in the field do not offer 4.4mm Pentaconn 5 pole plugs a video could show the benefit and negative opinions on that.

And finally a description of sound and comparisons of the choices concerning the 1A, 1Z and choice of ZX300. At best a direct comparison of sound characteristics comparing the Sony sound to other DAPs in the price range.

+1
Agree
Well done but too much long
Just an « unboxing » video more... 3 years after
Accessories presented are just basic for any DAP : protective screen and (leather) case + pouch
Right : unusual sorry
Agree also for new features should have been added

Apr 19, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #27,738 of 45,723

great said!

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #27,739 of 45,723

Well said.

My DAP journey from FIIO, then HIBY and now Sony, I have no regret with WM1A especially with the firmware 3.0.1 USB DAC and Bluetooth Receiver features . Though it's not all-in-one unit, I discover the sound that I really like. At least SONY firmware is more mature and stable than other DAPs.

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #27,740 of 45,723
EED4BD1D-CF2A-4A9C-9A7C-9D9958A1080B.jpeg
Well said.

My DAP journey from FIIO, then HIBY and now Sony, I have no regret with WM1A especially with the firmware 3.0.1 USB DAC and Bluetooth Receiver features . Though it's not all-in-one unit, I discover the sound that I really like. At least SONY firmware is more mature and stable than other DAPs.

I found firmware 3.01 to be great with the 1A and IER-Z1R, but that’s the thing; I guess everyone uses the players differently. Many here do feel they have ended their journey; at least for awhile? :)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #27,741 of 45,723

I found firmware 3.01 to be great with the 1A and IER-Z1R, but that’s the thing; I guess everyone uses the players differently. Many here do feel they have ended their journey; at least for awhile? :)

My jouney has been ended for near 2 1/2 years now with the 1Z and I’ve not yet seen anything that I even felt like trying out. Expect to be set until the 1Z dies and can not be repaired.

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #27,743 of 45,723
My jouney has been ended for near 2 1/2 years now with the 1Z and I’ve not yet seen anything that I even felt like trying out. Expect to be set until the 1Z dies and can not be repaired.

I thought the same thing, until I made the mistake of trying out a LPGT for a week. Other than no m3u support, I love it and ended up purchasing it. May be putting my WM1Z on the classifieds soon.

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #27,744 of 45,723

There's always K-Mod from Music Sanctuary :)

One more follow up on K-Mod I've had since January. Prior to K-Mod, I had a problem with the rhodium plating coming off my Furutech 4.4mm plug after about a month of use. The K-Mod included a brand new Pentaconn jack and so far I've had no issues with my replacement plug. On a separate note, I was really surprised how good the product support is from Furutech. They sent me a replacement plug within 2 days of contacting them.

Apr 19, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #27,745 of 45,723
There's always K-Mod from Music Sanctuary :)

One more follow up on K-Mod I've had since January. Prior to K-Mod, I had a problem with the rhodium plating coming off my Furutech 4.4mm plug after about a month of use. The K-Mod included a brand new Pentaconn jack and so far I've had no issues with my replacement plug. On a separate note, I was really surprised how good the product support is from Furutech. They sent me a replacement plug within 2 days of contacting them.

I would be afraid that it would change the sound sig I love to something else

Apr 19, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #27,746 of 45,723
I would be afraid that it would change the sound sig I love to something else

The K-Mod is all noise reduction/rejection. It replaces wires that have better noise immunity and add shielding to areas that generate EMI. Basically same reasoning that Sony had by not implementing WIFI. End result for me is more dynamic range than before. Have to admit though, half the reason for me was to ensure I lock myself into the WM1z for the next several years which will do wonders for my wallet. However, if you have better discipline than me, than K-Mod value is much lower IMHO.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #27,748 of 45,723
Can someone help me with the RMT-NWS20...i'm trying to connect it via the Remote section under the bluetooth but it quickly picks up ( i think, it shows the name of the remote for a split second) and says something in the line of cannot connect to remote/ is there a way to factory reset the remote (as well?

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #27,749 of 45,723
I do not know if it's just me
but my "old x1061" sound is not worse than 1z.
for me Nwz x1061 is still masterpiece!!!
Now try with wav on the x1060 and flac on the wm1z

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #27,750 of 45,723
Can someone help me with the RMT-NWS20...i'm trying to connect it via the Remote section under the bluetooth but it quickly picks up ( i think, it shows the name of the remote for a split second) and says something in the line of cannot connect to remote/ is there a way to factory reset the remote (as well?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-729
Did you check if the Hold is switched off before using?

You can reset the remote pairing by Holding "play/pause" + "Vol -" for 10secs.

With "Hold" switched off that is.

You will see flashing alternating Red and Blue lights which is pairing.
*****************************************************************************************

The instruction manual is here: https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4595/45956391M.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back