SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #26,461 of 45,723
Is WM1A able to use with 512GB card?
Thanks.

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #26,463 of 45,723
Can any owners of both a WM1Z and any of the 8/10 driver qdc iems give impressions? How do they pair up? Currently have a Hyla CE-5 as my only iem and have a 1Z on the way but also looking to expand my collection.

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #26,464 of 45,723
Jan 7, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #26,465 of 45,723
So I have received the Sony WMC-NWH10 USB OTG cable and despite tweaking the WM1Z settings for USB output every way possible (especially unchecking USB mass storage just in case) it doesn’t work with the iDSD Micro BL :frowning2:

There is a slight “click” noise when I plug the 1Z to the Micro BL but no sound comes out and I have tried different file formats and sampling rate, also tried to switch the Micro BL filters from BitPerfect to every other setting... to no avail :’(

Anyone has both 1Z and Micro BL?`

Edit : I have reactivated USB mass storage plugged unplugged several times and it worked this time

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #26,467 of 45,723
Hi Guys, thought I'd share and ask for some feedback!
I got it!! Now the long, suggested burn begins... right?

First impressions after 4-5hr burn: soundstage good not great (yet, I hope),great on detail, nice on musicality, treble looks promising, a bit boomy (then again I am using the Atlas...), and a bit veiled in general (though not much).

Is this about right for the first impressions?

PS Edit to add: listening through the 4.4 but with a connector (still don't have the cable...)

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #26,469 of 45,723
Hi Guys, thought I'd share and ask for some feedback!
I got it!! Now the long, suggested burn begins... right?

First impressions after 4-5hr burn: soundstage good not great (yet, I hope),great on detail, nice on musicality, treble looks promising, a bit boomy (then again I am using the Atlas...), and a bit veiled in general (though not much).

Is this about right for the first impressions?

PS Edit to add: listening through the 4.4 but with a connector (still don't have the cable...)
You're very accurate with those first impressions.

Within the first 100 hours, some improvements are there.

But the key mile stones are 200 hours and 400 hours.

I had 2 unmodded wm1a that I started using from scratch. Both the experiences were similar.

I just connected an iem and let it play. I'll periodically listen in every 30-50 hours or so to observe the progress

Good luck.

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #26,470 of 45,723
Received my WM1A today! Beautiful device, no doubt. I updated the firmware to 3.0.1 and tried to connect it to my LG G7 via BT, but neither device was capable of detecting the other one. Any recommendations?

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #26,471 of 45,723
Received my WM1A today! Beautiful device, no doubt. I updated the firmware to 3.0.1 and tried to connect it to my LG G7 via BT, but neither device was capable of detecting the other one. Any recommendations?

Did you enable bluetooth reciever on the 1A ?

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #26,472 of 45,723
Did you enable bluetooth reciever on the 1A ?

Thanks, so silly of me. That did the trick!

However, the codec used between the 1A and the LG is AAC for some reason, although both devices support LDAC. Does LDAC work in receiver mode?

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #26,473 of 45,723
Thanks, so silly of me. That did the trick!

However, the codec used between the 1A and the LG is AAC for some reason, although both devices support LDAC. Does LDAC work in receiver mode?

I don’t know and can’t try as I don’t have any source device that can send LDAC. There is a setting on the 1A where you can specify preferred codec but I don’t know if that is only for communication to headphones and speakers

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #26,474 of 45,723
I don’t know and can’t try as I don’t have any source device that can send LDAC. There is a setting on the 1A where you can specify preferred codec but I don’t know if that is only for communication to headphones and speakers

Found it, had to enable an option in the phone’s BT settings and now it works! Thanks anyway

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #26,475 of 45,723
From my point of view you are on the save side with the WM1A. I would not buy any headphone which cannot run very well from this DAP. AND the single ended output stage is no slough either. It sounds awesome with the DT1990. I have already sellers remorse on that sweet can.
thats good to know, i'm just scared to make that kind of an investment into a DAP and be afraid that it can't power atleast my DT1990 pro. its my favorite headphone out of most the headphones i've tried/owned. and my dream would be to just sit back on the sofa with my DT1990 pros and a good DAP and close my eyes and engulf myself in music. i hope the sony can deliver. i'm not interested in the gold version as i'm aware its more expensive, heavier, and arguably better sounding (although i've heard people say by not much, maybe 10% better).

I know sony is a great company when it comes to quality but i'd like to just make 100% sure i can enjoy that power in quality and not be left choked for power and requiring my DAP to have a portable headphone amp strapped to its back for more power. we are after all talking about 1,500$ CND lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back