SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #26,342 of 45,723
Ok.. I thought maybe it had a wider soundstage as well but didn't really trust myself enough to say it lol.

I also agree that it sounds amazing with well recorded music. I love it with intimate folk vocals.

I don't use direct source though.. I always eq extra bass lol.

Wow, I really like your this EQ sound setting ...... it matches well for my 1Z which pair with Z1R and the Sony Kimbler cable. This is now my most preferred sound setting . Thank your very much for sharing this setting.

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #26,343 of 45,723
DSC_6529.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #26,345 of 45,723
Can you please post the settings you used on your equalizer to get the extra bass just by looking at it is hard to distinguish what settings you used & pictures what other settings you used I also have MP3 files too.

The iems that I'm using have a very thin mid-range, so I boosted the 500 and 1000mhz sections.

If you want to boost the bass, boost the 31-250 sections. Don't worry about my is settings because every headphone and iem are different, so you'll want to boost according to your own iem and preferences.

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #26,346 of 45,723
Thanks for your challenging posts. From our head scratching session, I think we have figured out what level of MQA support the 1A/1Z have via its renderer: Full unfold via locally stored files and proper MQA Decoder streams, 88.2/96 Khz through USB via apps such as TIDAL. Useful to the community.

You are welcome and thanks to your posts, too. And you summarized well :gs1000smile:

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #26,348 of 45,723
You are welcome and thanks to your posts, too. And you summarized well :gs1000smile:

Different config update - Essential Phone does full MQA through Tidal. Playing a 192 kHz MQA track from Grateful Dead's "From the Mars Hotel" (as reported by Essential Phone) while the WM-1A shows 96 kHz in USB DAC mode.

The plot thickens?

20181231_051806596_iOS.jpg

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #26,349 of 45,723
Different config update - Essential Phone does full MQA through Tidal. Playing a 192 kHz MQA track from Grateful Dead's "From the Mars Hotel" (as reported by Essential Phone) while the WM-1A shows 96 kHz in USB DAC mode.

The plot thickens?

Yes, that's exactly same thing what I am getting from UAPP > WM1A config.

So in one of the above posts you have sent a SS showing on USB DAC mode WM1A reached 352 KHz (while playing MQA) was it a USB connection from your PC or MAC not a smartphone?

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #26,350 of 45,723
Leaving the partner thing asie (as we don't actually know what that means) and taking a step back, it does not make sense that full unfolding only happens via locally stored files. Very few vendors make MQA available - I have found only 6 albums worthy of purchase. And truth be told, outside of Japan, there can't be more than a few hundred albums available in MQA. So my thinking is, MQA must surely be accessible via USB - otherwise, what would be the point - unless there was about to be an explosion of MQA availability as an alternative to normal wav/flac/DSD...

<EDIT>and curiously, Sony is not listed on the page you referenced under DACs providing full decoding capabilities. The plot thickens.....
</EDIT>

Agree!

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #26,351 of 45,723
The iems that I'm using have a very thin mid-range, so I boosted the 500 and 1000mhz sections.

If you want to boost the bass, boost the 31-250 sections. Don't worry about my is settings because every headphone and iem are different, so you'll want to boost according to your own iem and preferences.
Oh okay thanks. I mainly listen with headphones as many IEMS don’t fit my ears only some do. I have been listening with Direct source it has enough bass.

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #26,352 of 45,723
Yes, that's exactly same thing what I am getting from UAPP > WM1A config.

So in one of the above posts you have sent a SS showing on USB DAC mode WM1A reached 352 KHz (while playing MQA) was it a USB connection from your PC or MAC not a smartphone?

USB to PC with HQ Player with no DSP

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #26,353 of 45,723
here is the same file on a Calyx M (no MQA support). Shows as 24/44.1 .FLAC file. Apparently the Sony does do a full unfold, and the question remains is it falsely reporting the Sample Rate, or is it misreporting it as PCM instead of MQA?

You've absolutely got me on that one! Signalyst makes no mention of any MQA support so the best it should be able to do is the same as the Calyx (ie 24/44.1) although I do know its a fiendishly capable piece of software. Do you know what protocol it is using to divert its output to USB? I'm wandering whether Signalyst is actually "playing", or if it is actually sending the MQA file via USB as a "sort of dumb file server"......

Is there any forum where Signalyst is discussed?

Dec 31, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #26,355 of 45,723

The plot thickens?

That is consistent with what I summerised. The Tidal app is not a decoder (I think, like the Sony it is a renderer), so it cannot pass the Core output it produces downstream with sufficient information for full unfolding to take place on the 1A. See here (Q3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back