SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #26,266 of 45,723
I’ve just updated the Sony WM1Z to 3.1 firmware today, I love the SQ, I’m a basshead as well with the music I listen to. But I notice the vocals are more forward, it has crystal clear bass, it sounds great on direct source with well recorded music. It sounds good on SE with Sony MDR-1A2. 3.1 sounds similar to 2.0 on direct source.it has an wider soundstage.

Ok.. I thought maybe it had a wider soundstage as well but didn't really trust myself enough to say it lol.

I also agree that it sounds amazing with well recorded music. I love it with intimate folk vocals.

I don't use direct source though.. I always eq extra bass lol. 20181227_114606.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #26,268 of 45,723
quickest way to batch edit album covers to jpg baseline?
You can use the guide posted here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-zx2-cover-art-issued-solved.811693/

Code:
The process I followed was;
* extract all my embedded image files (used Tag&Rename)
* scan all the directories for 'progressive' jpegs (exiftool)
* losslessy re-encode the jpegs to 'baseline' (jpegtran)
* re-embed all the modified image files back into the music files (dbpoweramp batch encoder)
* and finally - re-copy those files to my Sony zx2

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #26,269 of 45,723
You may think using the 1a as a bt reciever is clunky but man its one of those things that you never knew you needed until u have it lol

I am testing WM1A as BT receiver. My phone is LG V20, unfortunately it did not get Oreo update yet (region issue) so I don't know what happens when LDAC support comes to LG V20 but, current quality (I think it's connecting as AptX HD) is very very good and usable. I dislike AptX sound but AptX HD is very satisfying and I am sure LDAC will be the best way for streaming Tidal to WM1A.

The best quality comes when I play Tidal through USB Audio Player Pro. It's clearly beats streaming quality from Tidal's own app to WM1A.

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #26,270 of 45,723
I am seeing Sony NW - WM1Z on eBay brand new for $2,400. Scam?

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #26,271 of 45,723
I am testing WM1A as BT receiver. My phone is LG V20, unfortunately it did not get Oreo update yet (region issue) so I don't know what happens when LDAC support comes to LG V20 but, current quality (I think it's connecting as AptX HD) is very very good and usable. I dislike AptX sound but AptX HD is very satisfying and I am sure LDAC will be the best way for streaming Tidal to WM1A.

The best quality comes when I play Tidal through USB Audio Player Pro. It's clearly beats streaming quality from Tidal's own app to WM1A.

I sold the Radsone ES100 BT receiver, and I am thinking of selling the A&K XB10 as well when I receive the WM1A. No way these two can touch it for sound quality.

My phone is the newest LG G7 with the Sabre DAC, it’s on Oreo so it supports LDAC, and it’s also capable of MQA decoding (through Tidal and UAPP apps).

That’s why I asked whether it’s possible to send MQA encoded signal through USB digital out to the WM1A. But apparently the answer is no.

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #26,272 of 45,723
I sold the Radsone ES100 BT receiver, and I am thinking of selling the A&K XB10 as well when I receive the WM1A. No way these two can touch it for sound quality.

My phone is the newest LG G7 with the Sabre DAC, it’s on Oreo so it supports LDAC, and it’s also capable of MQA decoding (through Tidal and UAPP apps).

That’s why I asked whether it’s possible to send MQA encoded signal through USB digital out to the WM1A. But apparently the answer is no.

If you will use your smartphone as a source to WM1A via USB, you can send bitperfect data by using USB Audio Player Pro, from your cell phone to WM1A. And then, WM1A will play coming data as a file on it's storage.

So when you play a Master record (MQA) from UAPP (Tidal) this will be unfolded on WM1A on software rendering level. This way you should unfold MQA to 24 Bit 96Khz max.

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #26,273 of 45,723
If you will use your smartphone as a source to WM1A via USB, you can send bitperfect data by using USB Audio Player Pro, from your cell phone to WM1A. And then, WM1A will play coming data as a file on it's storage.

So when you play a Master record (MQA) from UAPP (Tidal) this will be unfolded on WM1A on software rendering level. This way you should unfold MQA to 24 Bit 96Khz max.

Wow, then it will work! My understanding was this wasn’t possible, but thanks for the heads up!

Is the WM1A limited to 24/96 only when speaking of MQA?

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #26,274 of 45,723
Wow, then it will work! My understanding was this wasn’t possible, but thanks for the heads up!

Is the WM1A limited to 24/96 only when speaking of MQA?

If UAPP app sees WM1A as an external DAC yes it must work.

And yes WM1A or any other device that does not have hardware level MQA decoding support, they will be limited to unfold to 24/96 at max as far as I know.

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #26,275 of 45,723
Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #26,276 of 45,723
If UAPP app sees WM1A as an external DAC yes it must work.

And yes WM1A or any other device that does not have hardware level MQA decoding support, they will be limited to unfold to 24/96 at max as far as I know.

The official specs say nothing. If the WM1A does the first unfold only (like Roon or Audionirvana), then yes, 24/96 will be the maximum resolution. But first unfold is not full MQA capability. They should clearly say so. However, if Sony added DAC level decoding (meaning full unfolding capability), then the 1A/1Z should be able to do the second unfold too. I couldn't find anything online though.

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #26,277 of 45,723
The official specs say nothing. If the WM1A does the first unfold only (like Roon or Audionirvana), then yes, 24/96 will be the maximum resolution. But first unfold is not full MQA capability. They should clearly say so. However, if Sony added DAC level decoding (meaning full unfolding capability), then the 1A/1Z should be able to do the second unfold too. I couldn't find anything online though.

I think enabling hardware decoding later for MQA is not possible. Just software rendering should be added to WM1A.

Before WM1A, Dragonfly B and R also some iFi DACs got it.

Below is what Bob Stuart from Meridian says about MQA.

Comments From Bob Stuart
  1. The strength of MQA is that one file can be played back in a wide variety of situations by the customer.
  2. The three presentations you discussed: No decode; MQA Core; Full decode are all previewed in the studio. Each is optimally set up for that presentation (with appropriate de-ringing).
  3. MQA Core (which comes out of the soft decoder or digital outputs) carries the additional information necessary for an MQA Renderer (eg Dragonfly) or a full Decoder (eg MSB, Brinkman, Mytek, Meridian) to 'finish the job downstream'.
  4. Full software decode is not possible because the DAC must be known and characterized. MQA is an analog to analog process.
Taken from following page, also this page has additional explanation for MQA rendering and decoding.

https://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-decoding-explained

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #26,278 of 45,723

I use the bt reciever for watching youtube vids and some occasional songs to test before buying an album :)

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #26,279 of 45,723
Just one question, is the 1A different in sound signature to the TA-ZH1ES (brighter?)?

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #26,280 of 45,723
It will not fit, cos the ifi DC plug is too thick.
You would have to make your own to get it working or find one that is slimmer.

But I highly recommend doing so, the supplied PSU causes hissing issues on sensitive iems.
Once you clean the power up with a better PSU, the hissing disappears.

Just checked the ifi DC iPurifier 2. It comes with 3 adapters:
  • 5 x 2.1mm
  • 5 x 2.5mm
  • 5 x 1.35mm
Do you think the last one will fit? Can you measure your custom plug? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back