SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #24,541 of 45,723
Yes Sony do seem to be the only ones. Perhaps because of their size and market penetration they don’t want to be seen breaking regulations.

As I remember Apple also complied with the iPod

Yes but it was easy to turn off - just go into settings. No need to install didgy third party software not approved by Sony.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #24,543 of 45,723
Rockbox App.

Any instructions on how to install it and then turn off the volume limit, step by step. I use a Mac Computer..

The posted site for the rockbox app does have step by step instructions and would only make sense to a DOS/Windows user and is already quite straight forward.

Perhaps find a friend or family member with a Windows PC?

BTW I changed mine from region CA to region E to allow for the Sony Bluetooth remote.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #24,544 of 45,723
Rockbox App.

Any instructions on how to install it and then turn off the volume limit, step by step. I use a Mac Computer..

Can't be done, only works in Windows

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #24,545 of 45,723
Yes but it was easy to turn off - just go into settings. No need to install didgy third party software not approved by Sony.

You can't remove the EU volume cap in settings, you must run the rockbox tool to change the region.
You don't install anything, just run the tool to change the region of the player

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #24,546 of 45,723
double post

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #24,547 of 45,723
On your dap? What are they gonna spy on lol. Your music tastes?

Network sniffer that will transmit a copy of all of your home's networking traffic to an external server.

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #24,548 of 45,723
Also, who makes the Software? How do we know it doesn’t install spyware and other stuff. If it’s free it probably will do.

It's done by the rockbox community that for many, many years have been fiddeling with daps, making tools and the rockbox operating system as an alternative to the stock software on players including iPods

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #24,549 of 45,723
Also, who makes the Software? How do we know it doesn’t install spyware and other stuff. If it’s free it probably will do.

As opposed to built in spyware which requires no installation from Google M$ and Apple? LMAO!

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #24,550 of 45,723
What do you use as a player to operate the Sony dac on Mac ?

Do you know Audirvana ? Because I can't make both (the dac of WM1A/1Z and Audirvana) Do you have a plan ?

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #24,551 of 45,723
What do you use as a player to operate the Sony dac on Mac ?

Do you know Audirvana ? Because I can't make both (the dac of WM1A/1Z and Audirvana) Do you have a plan ?

Mac OS uses USB Audio 2.0 spec so you don't need anything specific to run the WM1a/z as a DAC. You can set your system audio to the Sony and use iTunes as your player. Audirvana or any other media player will work fine too. I use JRiver without issue.

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #24,553 of 45,723
Oh yes ! But how do you concretely ?

1) Update your WM1a/z walkman to firmware 3.0
2) While powered on, connect your walkman to your Mac using the Sony WM-Port to USB cable
3) When walkman asks you if you want USB Mass Storage, go to main menu instead
4) Select DAC mode from main menu
5) DAC should show up under System Preferences as "WALKMAN"
6) Select "WALKMAN" for system sound and/or within your media player options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back