SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #24,481 of 45,723
A lot of people reporting crashes I haven’t had any so far. As I didn’t delete an music files during file update. As it wasn’t necessary for the 3.0 update. Are some of you using Apple Mac for file transfer or windows. I updated my software using windows. I noticed there is bug during playback using dac on computer that there is constant clipping & the volume isn’t loud enough I’d have to turn it up to 76. I’ve also noticed in sound settings DSHEE upscale doesn’t work when vinyl processor is turned on. So I turn off DSHEE & keep vinyl processor on. The sound is so subtle with it turned on, no significant difference might just have only EQ turned on.

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #24,482 of 45,723
A lot of people reporting crashes I haven’t had any so far. As I didn’t delete an music files during file update. As it wasn’t necessary for the 3.0 update. Are some of you using Apple Mac for file transfer or windows. I updated my software using windows. I noticed there is bug during playback using dac on computer that there is constant clipping & the volume isn’t loud enough I’d have to turn it up to 76. I’ve also noticed in sound settings DSHEE upscale doesn’t work when vinyl processor is turned on. So I turn off DSHEE & keep vinyl processor on. The sound is so subtle with it turned on, no significant difference might just have only EQ turned on.
Use direct mode its the best way and do sound procesing via PC

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #24,484 of 45,723
Just took the plunge and upgraded the firmware to 3.0 on my 1Z. I like it so far, especially with Vinyl processor. Went from 1.2 to 3 directly.

Without Vinyl processor, the sound had less warmth and little more brightness. The bass sounds even more nicer on 3.0. Looks like Sony sound engineers have fine tuned it even more.

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #24,485 of 45,723
Just took the plunge and upgraded the firmware to 3.0 on my 1Z. I like it so far, especially with Vinyl processor. Went from 1.2 to 3 directly.

Without Vinyl processor, the sound had less warmth and little more brightness. The bass sounds even more nicer on 3.0. Looks like Sony sound engineers have fine tuned it even more.
mmm it since that is perfect for 1Z i wonder if 1A owners are so happy too.. for me its a case of I dont know if I was better or not i miss some of the bass but stage its improved i also feel now Type A low + strings sound more desync... making it a little better

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #24,486 of 45,723
Weird seeing so many crashes. Did you guys have 200mb free space? Think it's best to have more free space during the update and then copy back you music files later. Suspect the crashes occurs during errors in rebuilding database.

Further impression after more hours on WM1A with 3.0 FW:
I can understand why Redcarmoose mentioned that WM1A sounds metallic after the update. With my warm gooey JVC FW01 I hear tingling trebles, slightly more air, separations, detail and wider soundstage. Sub bass are more nuanced now. Reported earlier I noticed volume was lower by 2-3 notches and had since lower them back.

I can imagine with a neutral or bright IEM might sound more metallic but I am keeping FW 3.0 even though I won't be using those new functions any time soon. YMMV.

No the crashes do not occur during rebuilding the database but during playing flac files and when acting as a bt streaming receiver

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #24,489 of 45,723
I havent had a single crash, 10 hs running mp3 dsd flac and DAC, do you find any diference in bass sound? and stage?

I belive I found the soundstage a bit wider but not much other change

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #24,490 of 45,723
Interesting with FW 3.0 the slight sibilance at the upper mid-range of my MDR-Z1R has been tamed and no longer an issue, yet the overall sound at the same time has gotten slightly cooler. And I'm not even listening directly out of the 1A headphone jack but thru the PHA-3 balanced and DSD 2.8MHz files only.

Now my audio chain sounds much closer to the old Sony Cassette Walkman from before the mid 90's (WM-EX1/EX2 and prior to about the late 80's WM-501/701C era) only that my current Sony rig costs 10x more just for the cleaner more consistent output lmao!

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #24,495 of 45,723
You must be using a special cable as my Nighthawks don’t fit into the 4.4 balanced output.

I am using a Surf Cable 4.4 mm balanced specially-made cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back