SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #24,422 of 45,723
I understand EU versions have some kind of volume cap.

Is it loud enough with this limitation when driving SONY MDRZ1R?

You can just remove the cap

Oct 7, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #24,423 of 45,723
You know what's strange?

When using BT receiver on the 1z, with Tidal or other streaming apps... If I turn the volume on my phone to max. The 1z is overall louder vs direct file use.

So when using direct file for the same song and format. I stay around level 50 depending on track.

When using by (same file/song) I can't go north of 30 to 35...just too loud.

How come?

Oct 7, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #24,424 of 45,723
did you go into Mac Os x system preferences and select sound under it? There you would have the option to specify where the audio output should go to. Yours is defaulting to speaker output. You should see your WM!A DAC as another output to choose from. Once you select it, you should have audio output from your DAC.
Yes, as mentioned in my post earlier, my MacBook Pro detected WALKMAN, i have selected and it appears in sound icon but it's not stable , intermittent on/off . When I play Spotify, the sound still come from internal speaker with intermittent lost of sound ... Weirdo.

Oct 7, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #24,426 of 45,723
Couple more observations on Firmware 3.0:
  • The creating database startup is annoying long. I'm tempted to just erase everything and reset to see if that clears it up. Probably a good idea anyway seeing as how infrequent Sony updates firmware.
  • UI is definitely faster in every way. Nice!
  • Only one crash when I tried to connect to my iPhone without disabling the charge feature. All my lossless tracks are ALAC with embedded album art.
I am amazed at how great WM1z pairs with JH Laylas. If I can only have one setup this would be it.

Edit - Prior comment on DSEE feature removed due to inadvertent setting of EQ.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #24,427 of 45,723
Audioquest Nighthawks pair amazingly well with the NW-WM1A from the balanced output! Rush Moving Pictures is SUBLIME!!!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #24,428 of 45,723
Using the new USB DAC and Vinyl Processor functions (plus the Z1R) to play Bill Evans Trio from my laptop, with iPad as the Roon remote. Love these new features!

Is that not a remote for TA-ZH1ES? If so, why would you use 1Z as dac for your laptop instead of ZH1ES? Just my own curiosity.

Oct 7, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #24,430 of 45,723
On the WM1a, the sound quality definitely improved, a lot more engaging while still being more balanced than the v2.0 firmware.

My first impression was I didn’t like 3.0 with the 1A, but I may revisit 3.0.

Oct 7, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #24,431 of 45,723
Using the new USB DAC and Vinyl Processor functions (plus the Z1R) to play Bill Evans Trio from my laptop, with iPad as the Roon remote. Love these new features!

Haha that is the TA remote? Wonder if it works with the 1Z?

Oct 7, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #24,432 of 45,723
Oct 7, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #24,433 of 45,723
Guys,

I really don't like the sound signature of the new update. Long story short, I have tried to do a factory reset, but to my surprise, after the supposedly reset, I end up with the same version 3, instead of what I thought it would be version 1.2! Any idea how to get to version 2?Any link to the previous firmware?

Thanks!

Oct 7, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #24,434 of 45,723
I hear no sound differences with the 3.0 firmware. Also does anyone know what does DC Phase Linearizer do? I keep turning it on and off and hear nothing different.

I hear a pretty big change with the 1Z and FW 3.0 update. The 1A was a smaller change but I thought the lower midrange and bass were affected in a bad way; though I may go back.

Many of us don’t hear the extra settings like the upscaling or vinyl filters, though some have really sensitive ears/IEMs and can hear differences.

Much may depend on your headphones or hearing abilities. But the overall consensus is 3.0 makes a wider soundstage and makes the tone more articulate and slighly thin.

Oct 7, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #24,435 of 45,723
Guys,

I really don't like the sound signature of the new update. Long story short, I have tried to do a factory reset, but to my surprise, after the supposedly reset, I end up with the same version 3, instead of what I thought it would be version 1.2! Any idea how to get to version 2?Any link to the previous firmware?

Thanks!

You need to go back a couple days in this thread, when the 2.0 firmware roll-back was posted. Factory reset will always go to 3.0 now that you have updated.

Be sure it’s 2.0 because many of us accidentally rolled back to 1.2 by accident. That FW is posted back there to!

Edit:
https://www.head-fi.org/members/nc8000.54845/

Go back into his last posts in this thread as he posted his entire cloud back-up of all the Sony software. Be careful as all the firmwares are posted there and look for 2.0. You need to open an account to save the software, but that’s easy. Then open the software in your browser and roll-back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back