Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #22,052 of 45,723
Aug 4, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #22,053 of 45,723
Aug 4, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #22,054 of 45,723
We be jamming!!!

0804182239_HDR.jpg

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #22,056 of 45,723
That's probably why I really love the Shure SRH1540, Audioquest Nighthawks, and Sennheiser HD650 s with my NW-WM1A...

There are a number of specific variables involved with consistent synergy. Though the X factor is at times is the perception of synergy can change. The change must always be a mental thing, as what else could it be?

Matching of equipment.

Matching of music subgenre.

Matching of sound preference.

Matching of signature due to prior headphone used.

The last one is a doozy........as it’s often underrated. It could mean that if you’ve been listening to one system, with one headphone for a week, you could walk into a store and listen to what would be perfect for you, and not like it.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #22,057 of 45,723
There are a number of specific variables involved with consistent synergy. Though the X factor is at times the perception of synergy can change. The change must always be a mental thing, as what else could it be?

Matching of equipment.

Matching of music subgenre.

Matching of sound preference.

Matching of signature due to prior headphone used.

The last one is a doozy........as it’s often underrated. It could mean that if you’ve been listening to one system, with one headphone for a week, you could walk into a store and listen to what would be perfect for you, and not like it.

This is one of the greatest posts I have ever read. When I first heard The Audioquest Nighthawks with my NW - WM1A, I hated it. Now I am loving it and I have no idea why

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #22,058 of 45,723
This is one of the greatest posts I have ever read. When I first heard The Audioquest Nighthawks with my NW - WM1A, I hated it. Now I am loving it and I have no idea why

Thanks!

Maybe that’s why time is needed; why we learn from using equipment at home for a week.

I say all this, but I’m totally known for making 2 minute headphone or IEM judgments. I have to fly into places to demo gear. I only have two days or so and have to get transportation to the different shops. The good part is I can hear a fairly fresh collection of gear. But the bad part is the limited time. I purchased the 1Z, not even being that impressed by it. Then 2.0 FW upgrade, burn-in and mental burn-in had me loving it.

The other concept is pre-expected bias or pre-expectation bias. Which I believe can go both ways.

If you thought something would sound great, it does. Or you could be expecting more; so it’s a let down.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #22,059 of 45,723
Thanks!

Maybe that’s why time is needed; why we learn from using equipment at home for a week.

I say all this, but I’m totally known for making 2 minute headphone or IEM judgments. I have to fly into places to demo gear. I only have two days or so and have to get transportation to the different shops. The good part is I can hear a fairly fresh collection of gear. But the bad part is the limited time. I purchased the 1Z, not even being that impressed by it. Then 2.0 FW upgrade, burn-in and mental burn-in had me loving it.

The other concept is pre-expected bias or pre-expectation bias. Which I believe can go both ways.

If you thought something would sound great, it does. Or you could be expecting more; so it’s a let down.

I really need that rich friend... I so very much want a NW - WM1Z

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #22,060 of 45,723
DA88D684-DAE4-4951-AB0A-971BC3C5FA9F.jpeg
I really need that rich friend... I so very much want a NW - WM1Z

I envision a new 1Z MK2 in the near future. I actually have plans to go to the Flagship Store in Tokyo in March, as I figure “something?” new will be out.

At that time the for-sale section will maybe have 1K 1Zs. Though be aware the copper is really soft, and they are really heavy, so the combo lends itself to small “dents”. My 1Z has one, though you would not notice it unless you were shown. The 1A is more tough. Still it’s all part of life, none of us look like when we were young........except Cher!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #22,061 of 45,723
WM1Z owners, would you consider using it to commute if you had to walk around with it in your pocket or would the weight put you off?

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #22,062 of 45,723
WM1Z owners, would you consider using it to commute if you had to walk around with it in your pocket or would the weight put you off?

I have mine in my Jeans pocket everyday for about 60 minutes when walking and traveling by train. No issues, except for summertime if I have shorts that is loose, feels like they will drop of me so then I might walk with the wm1z in my hand.. ☺️

Aug 5, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #22,064 of 45,723
I use a belt pouch, so do not notice the weight at all. Though need the BT remote control to make it work. I have the BT remote on a strap on my wrist, and the combination works great.

Aug 5, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #22,065 of 45,723
They can said whatever they think they know, but have they try it is my question

I for one didn't try because I subscribe to the common understanding that connecting an SE jack into a balanced port will cause harm to the system.

That you didn't experience anything untoward is definitely very good for you and is no indication that damage isn't being done. There could be cumulative effects over time. As the adage goes, your mileage may vary, but if it works for you, please do carry on and enjoy your music in good health.

I don't need to have done something myself in order to realise detrimental effects could exist. For instance I've never left a metal fork in a microwave when I'm heating up food, but hey, you might want to give that a shot since you don't belive in subscribing to the masses. You might be able to prove all of us wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back