SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #21,872 of 45,723
Several in this thread have done it and commented about it

I took a look at the previous posts that dealt with this issue. Apparently, no issues with downgrading to 1.2, you just have to look for the link to that firmware... You can find it in previous posts or straight on the internet.

But I would have an additional question to the forum members: we have been almost endlessly debated the likelihood of Sony releasing a new DAP this year. However, we haven't had asked often enough if Sony is going to release a new firmware for the current DAPs. Any rumors about it?

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #21,873 of 45,723
I took a look at the previous posts that dealt with this issue. Apparently, no issues with downgrading to 1.2, you just have to look for the link to that firmware... You can find it in previous posts or straight on the internet.

But I would have an additional question to the forum members: we have been almost endlessly debated the likelihood of Sony releasing a new DAP this year. However, we haven't had asked often enough if Sony is going to release a new firmware for the current DAPs. Any rumors about it?

Why would they release a new fw ?

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #21,874 of 45,723
Why would they release a new fw ?

For one thing, to possibly address the sound signature, besides other things mentioned by members in previous posts. I can always give the example of Ibasso, which, with every firmware release implicitly alters the sound signature of their DAPs. I don't say it's the best approach, but at least you have several options.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #21,875 of 45,723
For one thing, to possibly address the sound signature, besides other things mentioned by members in previous posts. I can always give the example of Ibasso, which, with every firmware release implicitly alters the sound signature of their DAPs. I don't say it's the best approach, but at least you have several options.

I used to have the DX50 and DX80 and remember that iBasso consistently claimed that they did not alter the sound sig with new fw releases (although most users agreed that it did change).

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #21,877 of 45,723
Jul 30, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #21,880 of 45,723
Well, i just got my player up and running !!

My problem has been definitley a database problem, shutting the player while updating it corrupted the database, strange enough that prevented the storage from being mounted to the pc and also thats what made it look abit serious for me, as i thought the storage flash could have been corrupted.

But i managed to format the database partition and it started !! also the storage is mounted !! The database kept giving errors when the player started but after a factory reset, all seems fine and iam copying back my music.

I think the steps i did applies to wm1a but dont know about other players, and i would recommend sending the defective player to sony, or at least keep such way as a last resort.

I accessed an unknown download mode by luck and used a tool called spflash tool to dump the rom to a file.

Then used a tool called wwr mtk to get the exact position of the database partition from the rom file, and formated only this position on the player.

Yesterday i was thinking of formatting the whole flash, just today got the idea of formatting the database only (thanks to god it would have been a bad end)

Iam happy to give the exact details if someone needs them, i am not sure should i post it here or not.

I dont want to jinx my self, so i hope it keeps running for good and i will notify you of any updates.

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #21,881 of 45,723

My problem has been definitley a database problem, shutting the player while updating it corrupted the database, strange enough that prevented the storage from being mounted to the pc and also thats what made it look abit serious for me, as i thought the storage flash could have been corrupted.

But i managed to format the database partition and it started !! also the storage is mounted !! The database kept giving errors when the player started but after a factory reset, all seems fine and iam copying back my music.

I think the steps i did applies to wm1a but dont know about other players, and i would recommend sending the defective player to sony, or at least keep such way as a last resort.

I accessed an unknown download mode by luck and used a tool called spflash tool to dump the rom to a file.

Then used a tool called wwr mtk to get the exact position of the database partition from the rom file, and formated only this position on the player.

Yesterday i was thinking of formatting the whole flash, just today got the idea of formatting the database only (thanks to god it would have been a bad end)

Iam happy to give the exact details if someone needs them, i am not sure should i post it here or not.

I dont want to jinx my self, so i hope it keeps running for good and i will notify you of any updates.

This is absolutely awesome! Congratulations! I am very interested in the details.

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #21,882 of 45,723

Awesome news! We can't be without our players...

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #21,883 of 45,723
Yuuuuup it feels good to get it back,

Thanks guys,

Also, about the details, i was just meaning to ask is it ok to post it here or someone will make a problem out of it.

But i will just post it tomorrow anyway.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #21,884 of 45,723
Do I wait for the next Walkman, or do I procure a NW-WM1Z? I hope the next generation focuses purely on sound quality and self-contained, owned files. Not a streamer, sorry.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #21,885 of 45,723
Do I wait for the next Walkman, or do I procure a NW-WM1Z? I hope the next generation focuses purely on sound quality and self-contained, owned files. Not a streamer, sorry.
I need streaming. Solely for discovering new tracks. Once discovered I like to own my music of course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back