SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #21,856 of 45,723
It's very funny to treat a DAP as an investment.

You buy to listen not buy just to keep and sell off as a profit.

Everything depreciates once it's bought and used.
You are buying an entertainment not buying an investment.

Jul 28, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #21,857 of 45,723

Agree with this

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #21,858 of 45,723

İf somebody Saves and buys a dap instead of spending on caffe lattes and beers it is a some kind of İnvestment, zero vs second hand value:)

Jul 29, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #21,859 of 45,723
İf somebody Saves and buys a dap instead of spending on caffe lattes and beers it is a some kind of İnvestment, zero vs second hand value:)

My philosophy has been invest into retirement instead of spending money on caffe lattes and beers. :)

Jul 29, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #21,860 of 45,723
Two questions to the community, if I may.

Recently I have bought a balanced cable from Custom cans (UK) for my Sony WM1A, which is some two months old. The cable is for a Sennheiser HD600. Never before I have used the balanced connection of the player, except for some very short audition with the IE800.

And now the questions :

1) with the cable inserted in the 4.4 port, I increase the volume of the player. The scale goes up, I see it on the screen, but the actual volume follows with some 1-2 seconds lag. Is this normal?

2) while I listen to some song I decide to play a different one in a different folder. I go to that file, I push play and before it starts playing, the player makes two clicks: "click click" and then the song starts playing. Did you hear this kind of noise on your devices?

What I have also noticed is that with this cable, the background noise, such as the needle on a LP is much more audible...

Any opinions are much appreciated.

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #21,861 of 45,723

Recently I have bought a balanced cable from Custom cans (UK) for my Sony WM1A, which is some two months old. The cable is for a Sennheiser HD600. Never before I have used the balanced connection of the player, except for some very short audition with the IE800.

And now the questions :

1) with the cable inserted in the 4.4 port, I increase the volume of the player. The scale goes up, I see it on the screen, but the actual volume follows with some 1-2 seconds lag. Is this normal?

2) while I listen to some song I decide to play a different one in a different folder. I go to that file, I push play and before it starts playing, the player makes two clicks: "click click" and then the song starts playing. Did you hear this kind of noise on your devices?

What I have also noticed is that with this cable, the background noise, such as the needle on a LP is much more audible...

The two clicks you hear is normal, it is the relay swich engaging either:
A)Plug/unplug the headphone from the balanced port
B) sampling frequency changes e.g from 44.1Khz to 48Khz and visceversa
C) player enters stand-by mode

the volume scales goes the opposite direction if you chose high gan or disable high gain to prevent loud volume "accidents" the volume gets lowered.

The needle noise of LP i can imagine being more noticeable, I heard also many details i've never heard before. Today some plucked strings and a Harpsichord continuo line in a Telemann Flute concerto

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #21,862 of 45,723

And now the questions :

1. Never experienced that. For me volume increases immediately.

2. The clicks come when you change between the two clocks, one for multiples of 44khz and one for multiples of 48khz

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #21,863 of 45,723
The two clicks you hear is normal, it is the relay swich engaging either:
A)Plug/unplug the headphone from the balanced port
B) sampling frequency changes e.g from 44.1Khz to 48Khz and visceversa
C) player enters stand-by mode

the volume scales goes the opposite direction if you chose high gan or disable high gain to prevent loud volume "accidents" the volume gets lowered.

The needle noise of LP i can imagine being more noticeable, I heard also many details i've never heard before. Today some plucked strings and a Harpsichord continuo line in a Telemann Flute concerto

Dear gerelmx1986 and nc8000, thank you for your quick answers!

OK, I got it regarding the change of frequencies, any particular reason this was not heard when using the single ended port?

Regarding the change in volume I imagine it might have something to do with the cable and this is what I try to follow up on here... Maybe the cable is not the right quality or something like that... Might there be any connection between the way a cable is put together and it transmitting with a delay some (physical) commands from the DAP?

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #21,864 of 45,723
Dear gerelmx1986 and nc8000, thank you for your quick answers!

OK, I got it regarding the change of frequencies, any particular reason this was not heard when using the single ended port?

Regarding the change in volume I imagine it might have something to do with the cable and this is what I try to follow up on here... Maybe the cable is not the right quality or something like that... Might there be any connection between the way a cable is put together and it transmitting with a delay some (physical) commands from the DAP?

I hear the clicks on both output.

I doubt any defect in the cable could delay the sound by 1-2 seconds unles it is miles long

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #21,867 of 45,723
For those in the USA, I bought this pack of 2 screen covers and got them today. Much faster than the others I saw before and so far great quality.

(Clear case on unit too)

[2 PACK] Tempered Glass Screen... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JPK1L6

0414FACE-8722-43C1-A01F-6B139948B60B.jpeg A9C0B3FB-0477-4499-AA32-AD48BC5BC3C9.jpeg

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #21,870 of 45,723
Guys have anyone gone back in firmware to 1.2 or other previus Firmwares? ty in advance if you have doned it can you tell if its safe??

Several in this thread have done it and commented about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back