SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #21,811 of 45,723
Again different headphones react different, with some showing a more dramatic difference. It's a 10% improvement at times with the Z1. But with some IEMs the 1A actually sounds better. But I have to disagree with people not noticing the difference. The 1Z simply has way more bass. The 1Z has a different treble. I was the guy who purchased the 1A months after buying the 1Z.

The biggest difference with the 1Z is the sound is closer, clearer and more forward. It's warmer, less midcentric and more V shaped than the 1A. I would have sold my 1Z if they were really that close to the same.

Not only headphones, but the sound differences can only be achieved by going from 1A to 1Z. You think that is expensive ? Think about some cables that cost even more than that.

Every % observable is % of undeniable truths. If you can hold back, that is fine, and congratulation to you. To some other people, they rather have the best or they don’t .

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #21,812 of 45,723
Not only headphones, but the sound differences can only be achieved by going from 1A to 1Z. You think that is expensive ? Think about some cables that cost even more than that.

Every % observable is % of undeniable truths. If you can hold back, that is fine, and congratulation to you. To some other people, they rather have the best or they don’t .
Truthfully I just find IEM portable audio fascinating. My first Head-Fi meet had a IEM personal audio table and I laughed at it. I had no respect for IEMs. Then slowly people kept showing me weird IEM audio achievements in systems. I started to get what it was about and I realized that IEMs had a different soundstage placement from full-size headphones.

Later I simply became curious as to where someone could go with the quality of sound. But most of all I came to realize how difficult perception can be. I went to buy the 1Z and it was still not yet upgraded to firmware 2.0; Sony had not released 2.0 yet. I was totally underwhelmed by what I heard. It sounded good but only slighly better than my iPod.

But this hobby is really about perception and the perception and appreciation of small minute details. So after awhile I started to “get” what the 1Z was about.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #21,814 of 45,723
Truthfully I just find IEM portable audio fascinating. My first Head-Fi meet had a IEM personal audio table and I laughed at it. I had no respect for IEMs. Then slowly people kept showing me weird IEM audio achievements in systems. I started to get what it was about and I realized that IEMs had a different soundstage placement from full-size headphones.

Later I simply became curious as to where someone could go with the quality of sound. But most of all I came to realize how difficult perception can be. I went to buy the 1Z and it was still not yet upgraded to firmware 2.0; Sony had not released 2.0 yet. I was totally underwhelmed by what I heard. It sounded good but only slighly better than my iPod.

But this hobby is really about perception and the perception and appreciation of small minute details. So after awhile I started to “get” what the 1Z was about.

Are you saying that before the update to 2.0 your 1Z sounded close to your ipod but after the update the difference just came flooding in??

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #21,816 of 45,723
Well i commented about WM1A decoding through slightly corrupted flac. In my HDD Backus (x3) the file is okay. No whitling . The file was transferred to the microSD card with music bee. Other files however, play fine. So music bee is not to blame here. Then is MY FAULT, by not doing the proper unmounting of the Micro SD card from the player. Simply just pulling it out when the DAP in on may have cause this small corruption.

I can think with bigger corruptions the player won't be able to decode. And next times i will go to the toolbox > settings > Device settings >Unmount SD card

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #21,817 of 45,723
Are you saying that before the update to 2.0 your 1Z sounded close to your ipod but after the update the difference just came flooding in??

I’m simply saying that after all the solid gold hoopla about the 1Z, I was underwhelmed but purchased it anyway. Many like and still use the early software.

I’m saying it took me awhile to hear where the 10% is. And.......you don’t hear that 10% at all if you run into a Sony store expecting the Red Sea to part.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #21,818 of 45,723
8DFB7490-B24D-410E-9777-5569F0A83776.jpeg

They do some crazy colors, as here with the reference V6.

03E5D537-96F0-4C22-88E0-4CE1239B2CD5.jpeg

What iems are those?

qdc Anole V3

Those are a $500 IEM which I liked due to the crossover switches getting the most bass I have heard from a BA. Only 3 BAs....but now I’ve switched over to flat mode as there is more detail, but still V shaped. I’ve heard their whole line, though most are reference sounding.

http://musicen.qdc.com/Product/36.html

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #21,819 of 45,723
Nice IEMs. Good to see that they are using some kind of quality wires internally. The wires of LITZ silver or SPC, unlike the rest of the so called high-end expensive stuff, still showing red, green, Black OFC litz, typical of cheap wires. The price is awesome though. Just observations.

I am not an in ears guy, but if I was, I would jump on these to check them out

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #21,820 of 45,723
8ABB5D5A-B670-413B-9EE2-0C19BA7161C8.jpeg
C5AF28DA-EC58-4CFB-9B38-4E233339D01C.jpeg
They sound good from a phone too.

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #21,821 of 45,723
Told ya, people make a big deal outta the SQ between the two to either justify the price difference or being a victim of the placebo effect. Truth is most pp here wouldn't tell a difference in balanced mode with the same music file and same headphones between the two Daps

Some have told me that if I own both I would notice bigger difference is over time, but after having heard it, I'm not feeling that horrible emptiness of feeling deprived of something way better...

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #21,822 of 45,723
Some have told me that if I own both I would notice bigger difference is overtime, but after haven't heard it... I'm not feeling that horrible emptiness of feeling deprived of something way better...
Deep down, you know there is something better out there :D

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #21,824 of 45,723
1z in the house, loading it from my Nas is painfully slow
so your pc then via the home network into the NAS... then yes painfully slow as ethernet or wifi speed are way slower than if the music was soruced let's say from an USB external HDD connectd to the PC. Or are you using the WM1Z directly plugged into the NAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back