SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #19,741 of 45,723
MusicBee rules:
I know some could argue and say put the Composer as the artist, but nope, i dislike this approach, there are tags for these two fields appropiangly
For classical music, I place composer first, but for everything else (jazz, pop, folk), I place the artist first. Might seem strange, but I tend to remember thencomposer for classical music and the artist for more modern types.

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #19,743 of 45,723
For classical music, I place composer first, but for everything else (jazz, pop, folk), I place the artist first. Might seem strange, but I tend to remember thencomposer for classical music and the artist for more modern types.

That’s what I do as well and for classical it is last name, first name

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #19,744 of 45,723
If you are asking that question then this isn't for you, obviously.

It's like asking if Chord makes you buy your own headphones for the Chord Dave (which is about 11000 dollars as well).

Yes, your maybe right. Plus, I’m pretty happy with what I have now. But it’s really a little off to compare Sony to Cord table tops. But if that is the direction Sony has it’s sights on, more power to them. I think most here are simply focused on Sony coming up with new Walkmans. The emotion maybe contains both fear that it could render their players in second place, combined with the idea that Sony could do anything.

Note most of their gear hovers around the 1K to 2K level.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-high-end-dsd-gear-including-a-usb-dac.680611/

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #19,745 of 45,723
Yes, your maybe right. Plus, I’m pretty happy with what I have now. But it’s really a little off to compare Sony to Cord table tops. But if that is the direction Sony has it’s sights on, more power to them.

I wouldn't say that to be honest, considering that Sony's audio branch (can't say the same for some of their other divisions) is only one of the few companies that produces their own silicon and components, and crams them into impossibly small chassis and still delivering a quality product as in the case of their new Walkmans, I think Sony at least deserves the benefit of the doubt for this product, if not just due to their own R&D expenses, at least in comparison to other makers sourcing off the shelf DAC chips and still asks for insane money.

Sony's image as a producer of mass consumer items does disservice to these very niche products, they are their own worst enemy. I would bet if they don't sell as Sony but some other boutique brand while still touting the same level of in-house R&D and unique technology, they will attract much less criticism.

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #19,746 of 45,723
I wouldn't say that to be honest, considering that Sony's audio branch (can't say the same for some of their other divisions) is only one of the few companies that produces their own silicon and components, and crams them into impossibly small chassis and still delivering a quality product as in the case of their new Walkmans, I think Sony at least deserves the benefit of the doubt for this product, if not just due to their own R&D expenses, at least in comparison to other makers sourcing off the shelf DAC chips and still asks for insane money.

Sony's image as a producer of mass consumer items does disservice to these very niche products, they are their own worst enemy. I would bet if they don't sell as Sony but some other boutique brand while still touting the same level of in-house R&D and unique technology, they will attract much less criticism.

Well I’m newly amazed at the camera line. Gaining traction 8 years ago and now becoming a full tour-de-force, with bigger lens selections at stores at times than Canon or Nikon. If they chose to enter the Cord arena of Hi/Fi I have no doubt they could do some harm!

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #19,747 of 45,723

That’s what I do as well and for classical it is last name, first name
I used to do this, but Well after a while it felt strange. Some people ask me who's playing? and it was when i was with an Uh-oh? face. Perhaps the other approach would have been Artist - the composer, Album artist- the Performer. Glad sony finally listened to this and finally added a Composer listing

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #19,748 of 45,723
Well I’m newly amazed at the camera line. Gaining traction 8 years ago and now becoming a full tour-de-force, with bigger lens selections at stores at times than Canon or Nikon. If they chose to enter the Cord arena of Hi/Fi I have no doubt they could do some harm!

I believe their full frame mirrorless cameras like the A9 aren't necessarily more expensive than top of the line Canon and Nikon, while actually having more new features, which makes them very competitive and attractive for people whom haven't already bought into Canon/Nikon ecosystem and has so much finger muscle memory that changing to a different system results in a drastic decrease in productivity. :)

I think an more apt analogy would be like Toyota and Lexus. Toyota's image of very affordable and durable family cars prevents them from moving up market with 100k luxury car market, even when Toyota themselves has all the know-how to make a luxury car that is as competitive as those by BMW and Mercedes Benz. That is why they created Lexus so they don't get associated with the mass market Toyota brand. Sony may actually need to do that if they keep pushing upwards with their audio products, but somehow I don't think anyone in that company has the courage to do it.

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #19,749 of 45,723
If the sony anniversary edition rumor is true, then a portable/sdesktop DAC sounds like in the lines of Chord Hugos, who knows, what if it is like the Nintendo switch console, a attachmento for standalone on-TV console and it can be detached to be a mobile (game boy)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #19,750 of 45,723
I'm planning to get a 4.4mm balanced IEM cable with 2 pin connectors. I found this wonderful set which is something I'd love to have and the price is good, too, however it has only 4 pole connectors.

http://www.meeaudio.com/CMB-BAL-SET

I'm looking for such a set with 2 pin connector option.

Please point me the way, if you know of such reasonable products.

Also, is there an IEM which comes with 4.4mm balanced cable&connectors? I might as well get a whole IEM rather than just cables, for my IEMs are giving out bad signals lately...

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #19,751 of 45,723
I would believe if they have something that is a blend of the TA amp with full DSD remastering engine and analogue input to DSD conversion as well as the hybrid Class A/Class D noise reduction design, crossed with the 1Z with its screen and UI, all rolled into a Hugo size like package while still keeping 30 hours playback time while spitting out say 500mW+ per channel at 32ohms, they'll definitely have a very unique product on their hands where demanding 10 grand is understandable (not to be confused with reasonable though!).

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #19,752 of 45,723
I would believe if they have something that is a blend of the TA amp with full DSD remastering engine and analogue input to DSD conversion as well as the hybrid Class A/Class D noise reduction design, crossed with the 1Z with its screen and UI, all rolled into a Hugo size like package while still keeping 30 hours playback time while spitting out say 500mW+ per channel at 32ohms, they'll definitely have a very unique product on their hands where demanding 10 grand is understandable (not to be confused with reasonable though!).

You are correct, but anything beside class D is not as power efficient. But I can totally seeing something like that could be priced that ridiculous. I mean, just look at Wm1Z, it can drive 800S to acceptable level. What if it can do better ? That is all I want, more power, more soundstage for being really portable device. Yes, there is nothing as comparable as a proper desktop system, but I mean at least going 80-90% there on a portable is surely desirable.

Imagine a Chord Dave Portable in a Chord Hugo 2 package and 20-30 hours play time.....yummmm, it can even be $15,000 in price, and still make senses. Dave is already $13,000+Hugo2 for $2000. Oh, count in the all in one package for an extra $3000, portability $2000. I will understand if it cost $20,000

Anyways, let’s stop dreaming. I love 1Z, and if the next Walkman can top it, and around similar pricing, count me in

Apr 12, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #19,753 of 45,723
You are correct, but anything beside class D is not as power efficient. But I can totally seeing something like that could be priced that ridiculous. I mean, just look at Wm1Z, it can drive 800S to acceptable level. What if it can do better ? That is all I want, more power, more soundstage for being really portable device. Yes, there is nothing as comparable as a proper desktop system, but I mean at least going 80-90% there on a portable is surely desirable.

Imagine a Chord Dave Portable in a Chord Hugo 2 package and 20-30 hours play time.....yummmm, it can even be $15,000 in price, and still make senses. Dave is already $13,000+Hugo2 for $2000. Oh, count in the all in one package for an extra $3000, portability $2000. I will understand if it cost $20,000

Anyways, let’s stop dreaming. I love 1Z, and if the next Walkman can top it, and around similar pricing, count me in

We should stop the price dicussion, while Sony does not directly talk with us here they read our price proposals. Any other supplier does.

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #19,754 of 45,723
I am listening to an album in DSD 64x, an analogue Tape to DSD transfer, these sound marvelous on the WM1A. Pentatone remaster of Philips Mozart Church Sonatas.

The level of resolution and microdetailing is juts stunning, not to mention the reverb feels natural, as they say they used Reverb effects to recreate the original ambience present on the Tapes. The Organ sounds present, no need to bump the volume to hear the flue wooden pipes, as well the string orchestra sounds proper in sync with the soloist, in proper position and separation of the instruments, the Air between them is nice distributed. The Organ Low-end, impressed me, is not Rumbling bass but hell super Low-bass you only get with very Huge and Tall organ pipes, something i didn't heard with the CD version

I had the CD remaster before the DSD iso, hell DSD makes a big difference in sound, The CD version, even with DSEE HX, sounded quite unnatural to me, very boosted highs, reduced reverb and often the need to bump volume to hear the organ. Instruments not as well as spread as in the DSD remaster.

The WM1 was really tuned to HR audio, speaking of this and using DSEE, has any one noted that when you seitch from Source direct ON to OFF (to use DSP) the internal relays engange?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back