SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #19,036 of 45,723
Yup, Me too.
I am using with the blue tips they provided now, sound more balanced.

From the same company that makes the Pentaconn 4.4mm plug

I see that you bought the aluminium version.. hehe. How was it? Did u mod ur Wm1a to pentaconn input?

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #19,037 of 45,723
110 hours into burn in..... Sounding sublime... DSC_0038-01.jpeg

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #19,038 of 45,723
I see that you bought the aluminium version.. hehe. How was it? Did u mod ur Wm1a to pentaconn input?
Nope, mine is same as yours, just that it's blue version instead of red.

My cable is from Effect Audio.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #19,039 of 45,723
Mar 15, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #19,044 of 45,723
Hi all
I just wrote a massive amount of text about my thoughts on the WM1A with the Shure 535 bronze vs Westone W40. Then my browser crashed and I lost it all. Feeling a bit gutted as it was 90 mins of time wasted.
To re-cap but now briefly ... The 535's are clearer, brighter and have a jaw-dropping soundstage but they are painful (from the start) to wear. Even with using the Westone braided cable and Westone rubber tips my ears felt sore and tired after 30 mins. The bass, while present and controlled and strong, is never deep, never purring like a dirty, wild cat and never enough. The Westone W40s, on the other hand, have a distant sound like listening to speakers rather than being dropped into the middle of all the instruments making the music, they're devoid of any engaging soundstage, have insufficient register on mids, whilst the vocals / highs are never on the edge of your ear-drums but somehow they work. It's bizarre. I really enjoy listening to music with them. If only the soundstage was a little more engrossing and the mids and highs perked up a bit they would be awesome. The bass, whilst not at Funkadelic levels, is like a medium sized cat with a twinkle in it's eye...
Sooooo my questions are thus:
1) What would a balanced cable bring to the Westone W40 / WM1A - is worth getting a balanced cable? And if so which one? I've seen the Sony one, but it's currently about £170. And for a cable, "dat's a spicy meatball!". I know you can pay silly money anything but the degrees of improvement drop off after a certain price point!
2) Would I be better off just going for an improved version of the W40? E.G W60? I did read a few reviews of the W40 vs W60 which said the W40's were bright. And the W60's less so - in which case they might not be the IEM for me.
3) Is there a significant difference in characteristics with the balanced output vs 3.5 output on the WM1A?
4) Sony and cases. They are naughty. I had to get the nice leather case for the ZX2, so I ordered the one for the WM1A only to discover it's a flip not a fold case. Grrrrrrr. Had a look for the 3rd party cases but can't find anywhere that ships to the UK. Any suggestions?
5) I'm going for a demo of the ie800s soon, any thoughts on them with the WM1A?

Apologies for typos, it's late and I lost my mahoosive review...

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #19,045 of 45,723
Hi all
I just wrote a massive amount of text about my thoughts on the WM1A with the Shure 535 bronze vs Westone W40. Then my browser crashed and I lost it all. Feeling a bit gutted as it was 90 mins of time wasted.
To re-cap but now briefly ... The 535's are clearer, brighter and have a jaw-dropping soundstage but they are painful (from the start) to wear. Even with using the Westone braided cable and Westone rubber tips my ears felt sore and tired after 30 mins. The bass, while present and controlled and strong, is never deep, never purring like a dirty, wild cat and never enough. The Westone W40s, on the other hand, have a distant sound like listening to speakers rather than being dropped into the middle of all the instruments making the music, they're devoid of any engaging soundstage, have insufficient register on mids, whilst the vocals / highs are never on the edge of your ear-drums but somehow they work. It's bizarre. I really enjoy listening to music with them. If only the soundstage was a little more engrossing and the mids and highs perked up a bit they would be awesome. The bass, whilst not at Funkadelic levels, is like a medium sized cat with a twinkle in it's eye...
1) What would a balanced cable bring to the Westone W40 / WM1A - is worth getting a balanced cable? And if so which one? I've seen the Sony one, but it's currently about £170. And for a cable, "dat's a spicy meatball!". I know you can pay silly money anything but the degrees of improvement drop off after a certain price point!
2) Would I be better off just going for an improved version of the W40? E.G W60? I did read a few reviews of the W40 vs W60 which said the W40's were bright. And the W60's less so - in which case they might not be the IEM for me.
3) Is there a significant difference in characteristics with the balanced output vs 3.5 output on the WM1A?
4) Sony and cases. They are naughty. I had to get the nice leather case for the ZX2, so I ordered the one for the WM1A only to discover it's a flip not a fold case. Grrrrrrr. Had a look for the 3rd party cases but can't find anywhere that ships to the UK. Any suggestions?

Well looks like your lucky day regarding the case ! I might just have what your looking for in black nubuck leather used on player for a few days , still in mint condition with bag and box. Let us know you want it before I put it on the for sale classifieds here, £30 Inc PayPal and shipping, pay today I'll ship tomorrow and it will be on your player Sat !!!
IMG_20180314_235411.jpg IMG_20180314_235346.jpg IMG_20180314_235306_1.jpg

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #19,046 of 45,723
I lost my mahoosive review...
next time try to write it in word and then paste all on head-fi and hit post reply. Same happened to me some times so when i will write long text such a a review i write it in word and then paste it all on HF, hit "post reply" and then edit to add images

Mar 15, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #19,047 of 45,723
Hi all

Maybe you want to give Acoustune HS1551 CU a try

Mar 15, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #19,048 of 45,723
Mar 15, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #19,049 of 45,723
I just read the amazon product description of the Sony NW-WM1Z. All I can say is...”Wow! I HAVE to get one!!”

Here are the magic words that persuaded me:

Product description
Product Description ★ Bring up feelings that are put in the "sound". Oxygen-free copper cutting housing model to reproduce until the acoustic area in the natural ★ Walkman is bringing together the full digital amplifier technology that has been developed over many years. WM1 series was thoroughly pursue the true high-quality sound ● From the majestic sound of the orchestra until the amount of heat outpouring of live, the music there is a space that you want to share with feelings that I want to tell artists respectively. The moment the performance begins, up to the perfect silence last note from the sign of out sing Kieiri music. The air, the expressive power of the higher the temperature and humidity is felt, even very small sound when off of sound was the pursuit of sound quality that can be reproduced. Then, to enhance the sense of scale and dynamism of the time of a large volume with to pursue the reproducibility of micro-sound, further accentuated the contrast of sound, you should be able to feel the dynamism of music. WM1 series, the best music experience can be considered now by the headphone, and we aim to deliver the very best impression of the music. ◆ Oxygen-free copper cutting housing model to reproduce until the acoustic area in the natural ◆ Full digital amplifier, which evolved significantly "S-Master HX" ◆ Corresponding to the balance connection. Adopt a high connection stability Φ4.4mm

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #19,050 of 45,723
Here are the magic words that persuaded me:

Product description
Product Description ★ Bring up feelings that are put in the "sound". Oxygen-free copper cutting housing model to reproduce until the acoustic area in the natural ★ Walkman is bringing together the full digital amplifier technology that has been developed over many years. WM1 series was thoroughly pursue the true high-quality sound ● From the majestic sound of the orchestra until the amount of heat outpouring of live, the music there is a space that you want to share with feelings that I want to tell artists respectively. The moment the performance begins, up to the perfect silence last note from the sign of out sing Kieiri music. The air, the expressive power of the higher the temperature and humidity is felt, even very small sound when off of sound was the pursuit of sound quality that can be reproduced. Then, to enhance the sense of scale and dynamism of the time of a large volume with to pursue the reproducibility of micro-sound, further accentuated the contrast of sound, you should be able to feel the dynamism of music. WM1 series, the best music experience can be considered now by the headphone, and we aim to deliver the very best impression of the music. ◆ Oxygen-free copper cutting housing model to reproduce until the acoustic area in the natural ◆ Full digital amplifier, which evolved significantly "S-Master HX" ◆ Corresponding to the balance connection. Adopt a high connection stability Φ4.4mm

Dude, I suggest you try to listen to this before purchasing instead of buying from Sony marketing. You may find that the WM1a is a better purchase given that it's around half the price of the 1z - law of diminishing returns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back