SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #19,022 of 45,723
Why not use flac level 8?
I tried as a test and to save just 2 to 4MB space hmmm, i'll stick with level 5, if it was like APE, savings of 10-15MB then i would reconsider it. But IMHO i think that would make FLAC CPU intensive and defeat it's original purpose FAST encode/Decode with very little CPU usage

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #19,023 of 45,723
I wish there was a FLAC for packing DSD data to reduce the file sizes, I've read there's wavpack but as i hace understood, the process is not reversible as it is made into a permanent DoP file.

HELL DSD sound is growing more and more on me.. Let's hope next WM series iteration (the rumored sony walkman 40 years edition) included DSD remaster to all PCM :D

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #19,025 of 45,723
I currently have a Japanese NW-ZX1 i bought in 2014 and now have a code that allows me to get the NW-WM1a for £770. mmmm..
I had the Japan ZX1 until it died from one of it's most common issues it had with rebooting loop fault which then forced my hand to buy a new DAP and the WM1A happened to be on an Amazon offer at £750 a year ago now and have to say I have not regretted it at all... Nice as the ZX1 was with it's lovely design and sounded a lot better than my old X1060 the 1A is another quite big leap in both sound and ergonomics of use over the ZX1. It is of course a bit bigger and heavier but what the 1A delivers far "out weighs"! the ZX1. Plus throw in the ability to use this with the remote they do for it and SD card expansion, MILES better battery life to the ZX1 etc - the list goes on... @ £770 GET IT! ; )

The ZX1 sounded wooly and soft, boxed in after hearing the 1A and that was before the 1A had the F/W update with the new sound change which I think in the end was better for clarity and resolution I know have a Walkman that will be hard to beat when they bring the next model equivelant out maybe next year when it's their anniversary year. How they will improve the sound and ergomonics I don't know? Yes, buy it now or regret it! :dollar::credit_card::calling::)

Mar 14, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #19,028 of 45,723
I have read on multiple occassions that supposedly FLAC is not lossless, well i did my own experiment: grabbed one of my DSD purchses (because i know these come from a faithful master from Channel classics), converted this DSD to wav, next, i extracted the CRC and MD5 hashes from the WAV, then converted the wav to FLAC, extrcated the MD5 and CRC from the FLAC (SAME NUMBERS), and finally deleted the wave and reconverted the FLAC to wav and again did the CRC and MD5 again Obtained SAME NUMBERS, so conclusion FLAC IS LOSSLESS PERIOD.

Mar 14, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #19,029 of 45,723
Got my balanced cables today Now the burn in starts over again. More pics coming

Which IEMs and cable are these with your Walkman?

The photos are fine, nice shooting tex!

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #19,030 of 45,723
ell i did my own experiment: grabbed one of my DSD purchses (because i know these come from a faithful master from Channel classics), converted this DSD to wav, next, i extracted the CRC and MD5 hashes from the WAV, then converted the wav to FLAC

I knew this, but to see those steps...CLASSIC!

have always wanted to "verify" as I just blindly "trust" its lossless

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #19,031 of 45,723
I knew this, but to see those steps...CLASSIC!

have always wanted to "verify" as I just blindly "trust" its lossless

1. I grabbed My most recent Channel classics DSD-album purchase, just a file "Violin Fantasia No. 2 in G" from Telemann's 12 Fantasias for Solo Violin DSF64 file
Exp00.png

2. I converted this to WAVE 24/96 Default settings on dbPowerAMP
exp01.png

3. I calculated the CRC and MD5 hashes from the result WAV
exp02.png

4. I converted the WAV to FLAC (using default settings on DbPowerAMP)
exp03.png

5. I computed the CRC and MD5 hashes from the resulting FLAC
exp04.png

6. I unpacked the FLAC back to WAV
exp05.png

7. I Computed the CRC and MD5 hashes from the WAV result
exp06.png

as you can ee FLAC is really lossless, all three times got the same CRC and MD5.

I did this as currently i have time... I was fired from my work after the sick leave period , still i gave them the correct forms and paperwork from the hospitals, but they didn't like it me going to so many follow-ups...

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #19,035 of 45,723

Very much enjoying WM1A... :gs1000smile:

Yup, Me too.
I am using with the blue tips they provided now, sound more balanced.

From the same company that makes the Pentaconn 4.4mm plug

IMG_20171108_225138_844.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back