SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 13, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #14,433 of 45,723
ROENZj.jpg

Sep 13, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #14,435 of 45,723
LOL "an angry snake in our pants".....................thats what she said.

...nay nay sire - you twist my words! :laughing:
I should remember phrases involving trumpets and snakes often have different meanings in certain parts of the world :yum:

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #14,436 of 45,723
Tried the new 400gb micro sdxc from SanDisk, formatted, it shows “only” 366gb available.
The 256gb micro card is a better value for the price.

actually value/money 200gb >>>>256 gb >>>> 400 gb

but you knew this already before buying , you did not need how much actual space each card uses

actually 400gb uses 91% while 256gb uses 90% , so they are the same

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #14,437 of 45,723
I've been looking at this DAP lately and it seems as if it's a great "all in one package" type of value. I haven't seen many comparisons, how does the WM1A compare to a Chord Mojo or even a Chord Hugo 2? I've seen other people on here using the WM1A with the Chord Mojo as well; how does that sound in comparison to another DAP or a Hi-fi Android Smartphone with the Mojo?

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #14,438 of 45,723
I've been looking at this DAP lately and it seems as if it's a great "all in one package" type of value. I haven't seen many comparisons, how does the WM1A compare to a Chord Mojo or even a Chord Hugo 2? I've seen other people on here using the WM1A with the Chord Mojo as well; how does that sound in comparison to another DAP or a Hi-fi Android Smartphone with the Mojo?

I own a WM1Z and a Hugo 2, for a while also a Mojo that I sold at the beginning of the year.

The Hugo 2 outperform the WM1Z but on the other side it's quite big to travel with, I use it as my desk dac connected to my MacBook Pro, while for traveling without any doubt I prefer the WM1Z, it has more storage than any smartphone and the battery can last for over 20 hours, you'll never get the same performance using a smartphone and a mojo/Hugo.

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #14,439 of 45,723
Yeah for me the big point is a one box solution with very long battery life (and brilliant sound)

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #14,440 of 45,723
I own a WM1Z and a Hugo 2, for a while also a Mojo that I sold at the beginning of the year.

The Hugo 2 outperform the WM1Z but on the other side it's quite big to travel with, I use it as my desk dac connected to my MacBook Pro, while for traveling without any doubt I prefer the WM1Z, it has more storage than any smartphone and the battery can last for over 20 hours, you'll never get the same performance using a smartphone and a mojo/Hugo.
Yeah that's the consensus I've gathered. And thanks for the info on Hugo 2, couldn't find anything on that. By how far of a margin would you say the Hugo 2's performance exceeds WM1A? So far that battery life in one package is a damn great deal.

Yeah I hear that a lot about smartphones. I sometimes use that in the car but I mostly use the mojo with my laptop.

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #14,443 of 45,723
Hey guys should I go for the Z5 or The Pha-3. I'm using the XBA H3's and Wm1a at the moment.
Don't think you need the PHA-3 to power an IEM, unless you want cans. I read somewhere (forgot where, sorry) that the PHA-3 and WM1A signature is nearly the same. PHA-3 just has more juice, but WM1A in balanced mode can power some cans as well.

That said, go Z5 or a better IEM.

Sep 14, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #14,444 of 45,723
Hey guys should I go for the Z5 or The Pha-3. I'm using the XBA H3's and Wm1a at the moment.

Z5. Period. Dun even need to think for a split sec.

Sep 14, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #14,445 of 45,723
Yeah that's the consensus I've gathered. And thanks for the info on Hugo 2, couldn't find anything on that. By how far of a margin would you say the Hugo 2's performance exceeds WM1A? So far that battery life in one package is a damn great deal.
@nanaholic

Regarding your translation of the WM1 Project Member interview, I have a question.

Here's your translation:
"Even so, when the mechanical design thought that we wouldn’t be so reckless to use OFC and assumed the prototype was going to be made using TFC I got angry and said “Of course we are using OFC!” (laughs)."

Here's the original text on Sony Japan:
"実際に聴いてみると、これがもう抜群に良かったんです。とはいえ、さすがに無酸素銅で作るほど無謀とは思えず、試作品だしタフピッチ銅を使ったに違いないと推測してメカ設計に聞いてみたら「無酸素銅に決まっているじゃないですか!」と怒られてしまいまして(笑)。"

Isn't it that, Sato-san originally didn't intend to use OFC copper as chassis, and only wanted to use normal copper but the mechanical design department replied "Of course OFC would sound better here"? My Japanese is not that good so I'm wondering if there's something lost in translation here.

I realized the difference because the Member's Voice translation on Sony China's website is different and says Sato-san didn't originally intend to use OFC but only normal copper. (However, I don't trust Sony China that much.)

I really appreciate and respect the effort you put in to translate this for the English speaking crowd. But I'm just wondering what happened here. A bit of a geeky question, I know.

Disclaimer first - I actually didn't proof read the translation and did it straight, so it probably contains a lot more mistakes than I know is there.

Re-reading that sentences several times over now, it would seem to be that Sato-san assumed the mechanical team wouldn't be so reckless to use OFC for the chassis of the prototype nor in the production, but was told by an angry mechanical team that they must use OFC. So yes I would say the translation by Sony China is more correct and my correct was off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back