SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #13,321 of 45,723
I got dissatisfied with brilliant classics, they started good but their quality now is a mixed bag, these "fake" flac and CD worsened my confidence on them.

The telemann the basso continuo role is not crisp and you can't hear it at times, this Handel has ringing and birdies effects like bad mp3 compression

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #13,323 of 45,723
Hey folks I have some flac albums I bought a while ago (last year), the problem is they made a terrible job at the mastering process and the result is that the frequency above 15 kHz are all shaved (I ripped the CDs to FLAC) and they have some but not that bad metallic artifacts at times.

I tried DSEE yesterday on those 4 CD and they some how sound a bit better, though some tracks sound weirder than with no DSEE applied to them. What other combo of DSP. Can I apply to these affected CD to fix the problem?

It is not the first time I got CD from brilliant classics with such bad mastering, a telemann set also 3 CD of 5 had this shaving above 15 kHz.

To be precise I want to smooth the birdies, metallic clapping and ringing effects,, on this Handel harpsichord music 4 albums out of 8

If the same effects are on the CDs, I think it very unlikely that you'll be able to mask them on the FLAC files with the tools available on the 1A. You may just have to bite the bullet and accept that it was a bum purchase and seek to replace them with cleaner recordings - or perhaps find the same recordings on a different label - one who used a competent engineer to do the mixing.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #13,324 of 45,723
It is sad to hear, but on a positive note, for a portable player to be able to reveal that much to you at the pricing of the 1A, it is an excellent Portable Player
I admire that from the 1A in fact

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #13,325 of 45,723
Ready to sell my opus #1 to purchase mint condition of wm1a, hoping not to regret it. I am listening for an average 6 hours a day so the battery life is a big plus for me, if the sq match the opus then I am happy.

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #13,326 of 45,723
It is sad to hear, but on a positive note, for a portable player to be able to reveal that much to you at the pricing of the 1A, it is an excellent Portable Player

It is becoming a real problem - these players are easily good enough to expose the flaws in bad/old recordings. And of course, you can't effectively audition a piece before you buy it. I don't mind hearing things fall over or a bow banging into things during a recording. In some respects it shows that there hasn't been too much meddling and splicing. Very often though, you're buying a pig in a poke and perhaps putting trust in a known label....and keeping your fingers crossed just for good measure. Often with classical music, the release date of an album is in no way related to when the music was actually recorded. Additionally, recording an orchestra and/or chorus is a really tricky proposition. There are clearly engineers who know how to do it, but there are also those who don't have a clue - and with their recordings, you just end up with a wall of sound with no depth or separation.

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #13,327 of 45,723
Ready to sell my opus #1 to purchase mint condition of wm1a, hoping not to regret it. I am listening for an average 6 hours a day so the battery life is a big plus for me, if the sq match the opus then I am happy.
When it comes to battery life Sony is the way to go. I replaced my trusty little A15 with the AK70 and while it is a great player and I love the sound quality, the 10 hours of battery life is killing me. Been eyeing the WM1A for just that reason, but can't justify buying a second DAP only months after I bought the AK70.

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #13,328 of 45,723
Yes, I had a fiio x3. And had the same experience as @Wyville. Poor battery life (7-9h a day) Sony has always given good battery life. My WM1A I charge it every third day at the end of the day at home, I listen between 6-10h a day so battery of wm1a /z is between 18 and 26h I get on average 26 and that is with the battery care set to on (charges only to 90%)

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #13,329 of 45,723
So hopefully someone will be able to give me some clarification, because Sennheiser and Sony tech support is crap. I have the Sen. HD800S and the Sony WM1Z, now I want to use the balanced option with the DAP (4.4mm), so I bought an adapter that is supposed to plug into the XLR balanced cables that comes with the HD800S and the other end is the 4.4mm. I just want to make sure this is the correct item and that I wont screw up my DAP or Headphones because I have very little understanding with Terminations and the whole +/- stuff. Below is the link to the item I got, can someone let me know if this is safe and actually will work before I plug this thing in please?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_p=2a4fafb6-9fdc-425a-aee8-c82daa7b18ed

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #13,331 of 45,723
That should be just fine...if they all adhere to standards

Can you point me into a direction of a company that you know makes this adapter that does adhere to these standards you are talking about?

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #13,332 of 45,723
Aug 7, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #13,333 of 45,723
I need suggestions as to the best pairing headphones for Sony NW-WM1A.
Sony MDR-Z1R holy moly! Listening to that combo right now. It's esoteric.....

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #13,334 of 45,723
Yes, I had a fiio x3. And had the same experience as @Wyville. Poor battery life (7-9h a day) Sony has always given good battery life. My WM1A I charge it every third day at the end of the day at home, I listen between 6-10h a day so battery of wm1a /z is between 18 and 26h I get on average 26 and that is with the battery care set to on (charges only to 90%)
Wow, how do you get to listen to music that long? I would love to be able to listen to even 1/3 of that. There are many days I don't even listen to any of my gear.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #13,335 of 45,723
Wow, how do you get to listen to music that long? I would love to be able to listen to even 1/3 of that. There are many days I don't even listen to any of my gear.

I do 5 to 8 hours. I would go nuts without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back