SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #13,292 of 45,723
Time to jam with the Sony NW-WM1A. ALO Audio Reference 8 balanced cables on Shure SE846s (white filters). Sounding excellent!

20170805_191051.jpg

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #13,293 of 45,723
I own the A845, A15, ZX1 and WM1A. Each step in this DAP family was a step up soundwise and a decrease of hiss. The ZX1 has the warmest sound of the bunch, all others are rather neutral to me. My understanding is that the WM1Z sounds warmer again and now some people need colder cable to cure that. My advise is, stay cool and go get the WM1A. If it sounds too neutral get the pure copper Sony/Kimber or pure Kimber to warm things up again. Or simply use the build in sound control.

I'm already running on kimbers. My issue isn't so much with the sound signature than it is with the sound stage. The PHA3 is much noticeably wider than the AW30. Judging from price points, I have a sneaky feeling that the 1A is the dap companion to the PHA3, while the 1Z is the companion to the TAZH1ES. But the price doesn't count for much though. Heh.

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #13,294 of 45,723
I'm already running on kimbers. My issue isn't so much with the sound signature than it is with the sound stage. The PHA3 is much noticeably wider than the AW30. Judging from price points, I have a sneaky feeling that the 1A is the dap companion to the PHA3, while the 1Z is the companion to the TAZH1ES. But the price doesn't count for much though. Heh.

I owned the PHA-3, I currently use the Audeze LCD-XC and Senn 800s and mojo and returned the 1A for the 1Z. I am going to get the PHA-2a because it has the 4.4 input which I wish the PHA-3 had, reason I’m doing it is because I already bought Kimber Kables from the company not the Sony ones and I don’t want to be switching cables out all the time and it’s a waste of money for extras cables to fit a port. My only frustration is there’s not solid review or advice on the 2A in terms of how it compares to the 3. If anyone cares to chime in that would be great. I cannot wait to get my hands on the Z1R in a couple of weeks.

Aug 6, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #13,295 of 45,723
I owned the PHA-3, I currently use the Audeze LCD-XC and Senn 800s and mojo and returned the 1A for the 1Z. I am going to get the PHA-2a because it has the 4.4 input which I wish the PHA-3 had, reason I’m doing it is because I already bought Kimber Kables from the company not the Sony ones and I don’t want to be switching cables out all the time and it’s a waste of money for extras cables to fit a port. My only frustration is there’s not solid review or advice on the 2A in terms of how it compares to the 3. If anyone cares to chime in that would be great. I cannot wait to get my hands on the Z1R in a couple of weeks.

I did mention some impressions between the 2 on the PHA2A thread. They are very different. I wouldn't have bought the 3 if the 2A was what I wanted. I'm prepared to live without the 4.4mm for now. I was testing the 2A and 3 with the Z1R and Z5 to decide which amp/can setup I wanted. I ended up with the 3 and the Z1R instead of the 2A or Z7. The 2A is a lot more mid focused and more suited for jazz vocals imo.

Since you have the 3 and the 1A, do they sound similar?

Aug 6, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #13,296 of 45,723
13 days since i get my wm1a , and soon after that i should have my zeus xr

august is the new xmas

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #13,297 of 45,723
I did mention some impressions between the 2 on the PHA2A thread. They are very different. I wouldn't have bought the 3 if the 2A was what I wanted. I'm prepared to live without the 4.4mm for now. I was testing the 2A and 3 with the Z1R and Z5 to decide which amp/can setup I wanted. I ended up with the 3 and the Z1R instead of the 2A or Z7. The 2A is a lot more mid focused and more suited for jazz vocals imo.

Since you have the 3 and the 1A, do they sound similar?

Thank you for the insight. For me I thought the 3 sounds very very similar to the 1A. The 3 just made it louder in my opinion and that’s all. It actually got to the point where I stopped using the 3 as I didn’t find it necessary to use with it because it didn’t reallly add to the music I was listening too. I listen to a lot of classical and Rock and guitar solos along with singer solos. I hope the pairing with the 2A and 1Z are a good match for my kind of music.

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #13,298 of 45,723
Thank you for the insight. For me I thought the 3 sounds very very similar to the 1A. The 3 just made it louder in my opinion and that’s all. It actually got to the point where I stopped using the 3 as I didn’t find it necessary to use with it because it didn’t reallly add to the music I was listening too. I listen to a lot of classical and Rock and guitar solos along with singer solos. I hope the pairing with the 2A and 1Z are a good match for my kind of music.
I do listen to classical music on my WM1A and i note better sound stage with WM1A esp on large scale Works like Handel chandos anthems or symphonies like HV Karajan Beethoven symphonies cycle recorded DDD in the late 80's, as well some older recordings sound noticiably better on balanced.

Now listening to the last disc of the chandos anthems i note like it was binaural despite these albums aren't bnaural, is just stunning

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #13,299 of 45,723
Your taste in music seems to mirror mine. And if that's truely the case, it might seem that the 3 is still what we need instead of the 2A or 1A. But by all means go try it out. We do have different ears after all.

Aug 6, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #13,300 of 45,723
I do listen to classical music on my WM1A and i note better sound stage with WM1A esp on large scale Works like Handel chandos anthems or symphonies like HV Karajan Beethoven symphonies cycle recorded DDD in the late 80's, as well some older recordings sound noticiably better on balanced.

Now listening to the last disc of the chandos anthems i note like it was binaural despite these albums aren't bnaural, is just stunning

Chandos ... mmmmm .... Always a good sound. Never heard a bad recording on that label. I find this an absolute riot even in 16 bit CD - always brings a smile to my face!

Aug 6, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #13,301 of 45,723
Chandos ... mmmmm .... Always a good sound. Never heard a bad recording on that label. I find this an absolute riot even in 16 bit CD - always brings a smile to my face!
Yes and italian Stradivarius is also great record label, not a single bad one

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #13,302 of 45,723
Yes and italian Stradivarius is also great record label, not a single bad one

Interesting label - I have to be honest, I'd never come across them before. They have quite an interesting catalogue. I'll have to go rummaging through it over the next couple of weeks - thanks for the steer (I think my wallet may take a bashing)!

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #13,303 of 45,723
Latest mediaGo Reading my music Hrad drive has 49, 530 tracks or about 2950 albums (many short ones) 876GB

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #13,305 of 45,723
I need suggestions as to the best pairing headphones for Sony NW-WM1A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back