SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 3, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #13,276 of 45,723
Since in the Sony design the chassis acts as ground and that their specific engineering goal is to choose the metal with the least resistance, then there's really only one way to go after OFC copper and that is pure silver which has higher conductivity (ie less resistance) than copper - anything else would mean that Sony was pulling a fast one regarding how they designed their device. Now who wants to buy a a silver brick? :wink:

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #13,277 of 45,723
http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201708/04/41811.html

The new media management software "Music Center for PC" that will replace Media Go will be made available on the 29th this month. Supposedly they streamlined it even more for music management and will remove the video/photo management support that was in Media Go.

EDIT:

More info
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1073442.html

Looks like the software will support network streaming, more codec support (Apple Lossless and MQA), and ASIO and WASPI output modes (have to see if it works with Sony DACs only like Media Go or with everything). Could be a good update.....

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #13,278 of 45,723
My friend told me that using balanced output this player sounds louder.
ay.gif

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #13,281 of 45,723
My wm1a came in yesterday. Quick question, with headphones plugged in with 3,5mm jack, the whole socket wiggles a bit. Is this normal?

EDIT:

Nevermind, i've found that this question was already answered in this thread.and yes, it is normal in this player.

There is a little movement in the female jacks on my 1Z and that was also the case in my ZX2

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #13,282 of 45,723
IMG_1674.JPG
There is a little movement in the female jacks on my 1Z and that was also the case in my ZX2
It is normal for the 1Z and 1A sockets or even Zx2 to be wiggling and moving around. The sockets are locked mechanism with internal wires connecting into the main board. It was designed to flex and wiggling around to not break after years of usages. It is a much more reliable design than hard soldered on board like Opus, or Onkyo...devices.....A&K also uses the wires to connect into the board, but their wires are tiny and small in Ribbon style. Imagine howmuch wm1Z had gained by good wires, now what would A&k380 or SP1000 would sound like with the new wires

Some can flex more than others, and that is caused by the little boards behind the sockets of which connects to the internal wires. It depends on how deep the technicians push it in during soldering process. But they were all designed within tolerances

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #13,283 of 45,723
Yup normal, as @Whitigir said to prevent it breaking, like what happened to the socket on the desktop Amp of my friend in Germany after 20 years of plugging unplugging HPs it gave up

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #13,284 of 45,723
Yup

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #13,285 of 45,723
Yup normal, as @Whitigir said to prevent it breaking, like what happened to the socket on the desktop Amp of my friend in Germany after 20 years of plugging unplugging HPs it gave up
Honestly, I am not too sure about plugging and unplugging for 20 years....man, I don't even think Oganism part can even withstand that much without any degrading :D

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #13,286 of 45,723
Ok, so I took the plunge, and got myself a Sony AW35. it's not too bad actually, but it's a far cry from what I wanted coming from the PHA3. The AW35 will go to my son (after I figure out what volume limit to set) and I'm still looking for a travel solution DAP where it sounds like the PHA3. Would this be the WM1A? (please don't tell me it's the 1Z. wallet cannot take any more punishment than the 1A).

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #13,287 of 45,723
Ok, so I took the plunge, and got myself a Sony AW35. it's not too bad actually, but it's a far cry from what I wanted coming from the PHA3. The AW35 will go to my son (after I figure out what volume limit to set) and I'm still looking for a travel solution DAP where it sounds like the PHA3. Would this be the WM1A? (please don't tell me it's the 1Z. wallet cannot take any more punishment than the 1A).
I think you have just said it :)

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #13,288 of 45,723
The WM1A feels heavy at times but it is fairly light, I never Heard the PHA-3 , but i had a ZX100 (which some say it sounds like the NW-A35).

The WM1A has a better sound quality in every aspect, is more warm sounding, better subbass extensión mids and highs are also better, is failrly neutral but not "dead-neutral" maybe you can find my review of my WM1A here

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #13,290 of 45,723

I own the A845, A15, ZX1 and WM1A. Each step in this DAP family was a step up soundwise and a decrease of hiss. The ZX1 has the warmest sound of the bunch, all others are rather neutral to me. My understanding is that the WM1Z sounds warmer again and now some people need colder cable to cure that. My advise is, stay cool and go get the WM1A. If it sounds too neutral get the pure copper Sony/Kimber or pure Kimber to warm things up again. Or simply use the build in sound control.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back