SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #12,856 of 45,723
Is a 5V 2amp wall charger okay to use in the US?

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #12,858 of 45,723
USA plug....120...wall charger says 5V - 2A

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #12,860 of 45,723
Is 2.4amp better?

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #12,862 of 45,723
These evening after day 1 of canjam London, I had the most fortunate chance of meeting and enjoying diner with this party of people:
Dean and Jack Vang from Empire Ears
Eric from Effect Audio
Nic @flinkenick from The Headphone List
Lieven and his wife Sophie from Headfonia
and...
Tomoaki Sato and Naotaka Tsunoda of SONY !

They had such a great sense of humour, it was a blast.

Of course I couldn't resist spilling the beans about us finding out about the ZX300 user manual and most importantly the usb dac feature. And when I asked about if the S Master HX would allow us to get usb dac in a future firmware they burst out laughing and started talked to each other in Japanese. I was totally ecstatic in my hype moment. All I could get from that and the zx300 was wait for a future show timing.

The recounting of the 4.5 plug then 4.4 pentaconn and jeita and the implementation into the signature series...
I asked if they were then confident now that for the next future flagship, Tomoaki-san was confident enough as to only put the 4.4mm jack and maybe use the space gain for any more sq improvements, to which he laughed and made a big smile

I hope transmitted my most deep gratitude for the how much I liked the zx2 and wm1a, especially with the improvements against noise while keeping the battery efficiency still at heart (yeah I bashed a&k haha)

P.s.: thanks again for the interview & translation, was so valuable

P.p.s.: what a delight to have been able to share company even for a bit with your favorite ciem and dap makers

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #12,863 of 45,723
I made a post somewhere regarding the differences between them all, but I forgot where it is. However, the fun is better when you discover it yourself :p

@Whitigir What I meant was I took your suggestion based on your post earlier.. I didn't know what each settings meant and your post helped

Thanks
Pc

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #12,864 of 45,723
So when they bursted out laughing about your question and USB DAC. There would be 2 scenarios, I am assuming

1/ they waged bet with each other that Westerner, and IPod adopters since the last decade will bring up this question, just because !

2/ they found it funny that we wanted the Wm1Z to be doing USB DAC. Because if you would have wanted a stack....you would have gone with Dedicated portable DAC/Amplifier ?

Either way, good question, and I am sad that it was not answered. Thanks for posting about the event

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #12,866 of 45,723
Hello

I'm looking for suggestions.

For weeks I've been reading this thread and the thread on the Onkyo DP-X1

I'd like to replace my main audio system with a portable system. This is part of my plan to simplify my life.

Half of my music is classical. The rest is jazz from 1960s and vocal/folk. Very little rock or pop. I'm not a bass head. I've never gotten into streaming. My music collection are CDs ripped to uncompressed FLAC.

I'd like a system that can reproduce the beauty of chamber music, the live experience of symphonic and the intimacy of close-miked live vocals. Although I appreciate the pleasure of picking out details in music, I don't need to dissect the music. I'm not a musician or recording engineer.

My main system was optimized for low noise floor, neutrality and clarity. (You can see it here at the Audiogon site. https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/6085)

I would need at least two headphones: An over-the-ear for most of my listening and an In-ear for those times when I'm on the go. I would never use this at work nor would I use this when I'm in the gym. I do like to walk and would use this system then. Most of the time I'd be listening to this around the house with over-the-ear headphones; Moving to different rooms reading, cooking, etc.

At one time, I had a good tabletop headphone amp from Woo Audio (WA22) but I sold it. I'm too restless to be tethered to a desktop amp. I can't sit still. If I'm going to use headphone, I need a portable system.

I'd like to hear any suggestions you have. If I manage to sell my main system, I think I could swing a budget as high as $8,000 USA for the complete portable system.

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #12,867 of 45,723
First of all, moving away from speakers into headphones is not a good idea, unless you adopt into high-end segment. Then to just totally be portable with it is even worse. However, the best so far I have had is Utopia and WM1Z ATM. There are huge differences between my Stax system vs my portable system :). May want to really think back about your options

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #12,868 of 45,723
Hello

I'm looking for suggestions.

For weeks I've been reading this thread and the thread on the Onkyo DP-X1

I'd like to replace my main audio system with a portable system. This is part of my plan to simplify my life.

Half of my music is classical. The rest is jazz from 1960s and vocal/folk. Very little rock or pop. I'm not a bass head. I've never gotten into streaming. My music collection are CDs ripped to uncompressed FLAC.

I'd like a system that can reproduce the beauty of chamber music, the live experience of symphonic and the intimacy of close-miked live vocals. Although I appreciate the pleasure of picking out details in music, I don't need to dissect the music. I'm not a musician or recording engineer.

My main system was optimized for low noise floor, neutrality and clarity. (You can see it here at the Audiogon site. https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/6085)

I would need at least two headphones: An over-the-ear for most of my listening and an In-ear for those times when I'm on the go. I would never use this at work nor would I use this when I'm in the gym. I do like to walk and would use this system then. Most of the time I'd be listening to this around the house with over-the-ear headphones; Moving to different rooms reading, cooking, etc.

At one time, I had a good tabletop headphone amp from Woo Audio (WA22) but I sold it. I'm too restless to be tethered to a desktop amp. I can't sit still. If I'm going to use headphone, I need a portable system.

I'd like to hear any suggestions you have. If I manage to sell my main system, I think I could swing a budget as high as $8,000 USA for the complete portable system.

Just have a feeling the AK SP1000 maybe what you need more than WM1Z, in terms of the sound signature, also the low noise floor, neutrality and clarity you need.

Best if you can AB test both of them

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #12,870 of 45,723
First of all, moving away from speakers into headphones is not a good idea, unless you adopt into high-end segment. Then to just totally be portable with it is even worse. However, the best so far I have had is Utopia and WM1Z ATM. There are huge differences between my Stax system vs my portable system :). May want to really think back about your options

Thank you. That's the fundamental question I had: can I get the sound quality from a portable system. So let me ask you, what is the sound of a portable HP system missing that speaker system has? Is it lower noise, wider sound stage, details? From the descriptions on this thread, I had the impression the the top tier portable HP systems had caught up with traditional speaker systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back