SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #12,751 of 45,723
:D now hope in the walkman anniversary edition sony has plans for Dual-SD slot preferrably a regula SD slot + microSD

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #12,753 of 45,723
Jul 10, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #12,754 of 45,723
Whitigir

I thought you no longer have your Z1R?

What are your thoughts on cables for the Sony - which commercially available ones have you heard (as I realize you also build your own)?

As you know I sent my Z1R's back several months ago and currently use the Utopia's (with Kimber Axios). Well - I found that I also needed a closed back and just repurchased the Z1R's again as a second pair. Currently using the Sony/Kimber cable (all copper vs. copper/silver included in the box). So far nice sounding - however owning two pair of Axios cables I don't think I can live with this Sony/Kimber version - very cheap looking construction compared to the Axios.

I have a feeling even though they share the same DNA as genuine Axios cables - and are all copper like them - I have a suspicion that real Kimber Axios will beat them out.

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #12,755 of 45,723
Whitigir

I thought you no longer have your Z1R?

What are your thoughts on cables for the Sony - which commercially available ones have you heard (as I realize you also build your own)?

As you know I sent my Z1R's back several months ago and currently use the Utopia's (with Kimber Axios). Well - I found that I also needed a closed back and just repurchased the Z1R's again as a second pair. Currently using the Sony/Kimber cable (all copper vs. copper/silver included in the box). So far nice sounding - however owning two pair of Axios cables I don't think I can live with this Sony/Kimber version - very cheap looking construction compared to the Axios.

I have a feeling even though they share the same DNA as genuine Axios cables - and are all copper like them - I have a suspicion that real Kimber Axios will beat them out.

That is correct that I no longer have Z1R, but I do have SA5000 of which is converted to Z1R removable cables style :)

I do not spend money on commercial available cables as I build my own, and I have experiences with different type of materials and styles as I can construct them at my wills...which cost me money...but my enthusiasm has no ends. What do I found useful about Sony cables ? I found that their uses of Hybrid Silver plated Copper wires in their cables construction is genius, and so I adopted it which I currently use for Z1R, and now converted into Utopia usage. It is the one u see above, but the material is UPOCC and not typical OFC

Axios is the flagship level of Kimber, and so they have very nice build, having 16 wires braided. It does have some advantages, but such question is better answered by Jason @thesourceAv as he has huge stock of those and can leisurely answer it to you, but the technicality and pricing performances between regular Kimber Vs Axios is real.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #12,756 of 45,723
Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #12,757 of 45,723
Yes I am convinced that if I bring in a pair of "real" Kimbers (ie Axios) I fully expect them to be better than the Sony/Kimber version. I already own two sets of Axios - a 1.2m Pentacon terminated for the 1Z and a second 4m balanced XLR terminated for use with my Moon 430HA amplifier in my 2 channel system. Beautifully made - and sounding - cables.

Agreed about the Sony use of silver coated copper they for the Z1R's. They sound quite good as is. Is there any commercial cable manufacturer offering the same? I tried the Axios copper/silver hybrid and was not happy at all (on Utopias). I preferred the all copper version. Kimber is not silver coating the copper in this version. Instead 8 of the wires are pure silver and 8 are pure copper - both then braided together. Obviously this is quite different from silver coating all wires as Sony does with their supplied cable. That is why I ask if any comnercially available suppliers are offering silver coated copper.

It is interesting though that Sony consider the pure copper Sony/Kimber to be an upgrade over the supplied silver coated copper. Perhaps for them 8 braids of pure copper beat out a thin single strand of silver coated copper

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #12,758 of 45,723
Yes I am convinced that if I bring in a pair of "real" Kimbers (ie Axios) I fully expect them to be better than the Sony/Kimber version. I already own two sets of Axios - a 1.2m Pentacon terminated for the 1Z and a second 4m balanced XLR terminated for use with my Moon 430HA amplifier in my 2 channel system. Beautifully made - and sounding - cables.

Agreed about the Sony use of silver coated copper they for the Z1R's. They sound quite good as is. Is there any commercial cable manufacturer offering the same? I tried the Axios copper/silver hybrid and was not happy at all (on Utopias). I preferred the all copper version. Kimber is not silver coating the copper in this version. Instead 8 of the wires are pure silver and 8 are pure copper - both then braided together. Obviously this is quite different from silver coating all wires as Sony does with their supplied cable. That is why I ask if any comnercially available suppliers are offering silver coated copper.

It is interesting though that Sony consider the pure copper Sony/Kimber to be an upgrade over the supplied silver coated copper. Perhaps for them 8 braids of pure copper beat out a thin single strand of silver coated copper

There are many vendors that offer the cables in Silver plated copper. However, the Sony cables in Z1R is different. You can always ask the 3rd party vendor to do what they can, customize it.

Well, the Kimber Axios is superior in comparison to Stock cables . Technicality, Axios Kimber has very large wire sizes, it is probably 20Awg combined per polarity or larger, I am not sure, again, ask Jason, on top of that, they are braided 16 wires where as stock only has straight wires and much smaller sizes.

The best for Utopia would be Silver-Gold Fusion materials, but they are exotically expensive.

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #12,759 of 45,723
Yes - if I can accurately predict the future - once I finish burning in the Sony/Kimber I have a funny feeling I am going to fInd it superior to the stock Z1R cable - and then send it back for an Axios which will most likely be better still.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #12,760 of 45,723
New Walkman will play APE. And MQA audio, also apparently they returned the video reproduction capability

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #12,761 of 45,723
Are you guys Hyped on the new ZX300? I am not as i have my trustworthy 1A. while USB DAC is certainly a plus, i am not so thrilled, perhaps because the update lifecycle is so fast.
moreover I bet the WM1A and Z will still be the Kings. I see the ZX300 ans in the middle of A30/40 and WM1x

I think it's good that Sony will be releasing a mid-range product with 4.4mm balance output that slots in between WM1A and the A30/A40 series as it can only help 4.4mm adaption rate further. Not everyone can immediately spring for even WM1A pricing so a mid-range DAP costing around 6-70k yen to compete with the likes of the very popular Onkyo DP-X1 and 1A is welcomed. I personally don't have a need for one but I think the ZX300 is a solely needed product to fill that gaping hole in the current line up.

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #12,762 of 45,723
I don't know of adding video capability affects the sound quality of the player? I like the fact current WM 1 series are solely music devices., because it says they have the utmost attention to sound quality

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #12,763 of 45,723
So like I mentioned, I just received mine today. Initially I had a problem pairing as well, but I figured it out.

First, you need to make sure you're at the Remote Control Settings menu, as mentioned above:

Then you need to make sure the Hold button isn't turned on, on the remote. This was my problem, and why the remote didn't pair initially. (if the button is pushed up, HOLD is engaged, make sure this isn't the case).

Finally, from the Remote Control Settings menu, just click "Add Remote". Press any button on the remote (Play, Volume + etc), and it should automatically pick it up and pair.

Took me a while to figure out (my remote is Japanese, and my reading comprehension isn't as good as some here
tongue.gif
), but it works

Help Me !

I've got WM1A ant this remote (RMT-NWS20) but I don't found in Settings Menu between Audio Device Settings and NFC the "Remote Control Settings". I've bought this remote in Japan. With "Hold Off" when I press a button the remote blinks red and blue quickly but nothing works

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #12,765 of 45,723
My WM1a don't own this icon at right :slight_frown:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back