SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #10,276 of 45,723
Really? Got loose? I'll need to check that. I used the SKK for a few days and didn't experience that. Overall the Sony is realy very nice. Enjoy it!

Loose indeed ! I only unplugged them twice and the left was loose , a re termination to eidolic followed. Makes me regret buying it at $80 from Jaben MY now ...... Not :D

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #10,277 of 45,723
My other cables all have more solid fit than the Kimber i own.

Same here. My Kimber got the worst mmcx male I've ever encountered. Sonically it's great and the 4.4 plus is very nicely done, but the left side mmcx became loose on every mmcx female socket I got. It still works, but have to be super careful and the slightest unintentional pulling force applied would have knocked the earpiece off. Funny the other side is holding up pretty well.

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #10,278 of 45,723
I have an iRiver HP-120, 1A and 1Z. 1A is a much better DAP in every way. Simple as that. Long time has passed since then and the price labels have evolved. Lol. At their time the iHPs were the lesser of the evil for some. Personally I've never loved those units. Plasticy China design. Horrible firmware. Their luck Rockbox could fill the gap... Sq was reasonably transparent though.

1A is great. 1Z is pure bliss. It's not much of a difference sq wise, but 1Z is able to cover the music with a shimmer that makes it very easy one never would want to end a listening session.

Hey thanks very much for your answer! I have Rockbox on mine and it's quite nice with it imho, never experienced the stock firmware (never will after reading your take on it :) )
Are the Sonys more powerful? I mean I guess they are, but is there a big difference between the power of these units?
I am considering the Lotoo PG as well, as I heard they are on par with the Sonys but with much more driving power, more accurate presentation as opposed to the Sonys warmer, 
laid back sound design.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #10,279 of 45,723

​Tnx mate, do you know how much they take to make it? UPDATE: checked their page and saw the handle sony XBA-Z5 but don't have for MDR-Z7 bummer

I know that you have been looking to update your phones to balanced for a long time and that you are on a tight budget. I would say it's wise to get a cable for the Z7 before the Z5, as it will benefit more from the additional power. The stock Z1R balanced cable is very nice, if you can find one. It is not that expensive, built like a tank and has a fantastic 90 degree plug. The part number is a-2144-925-a. You can order it here, but it appears to be out of stock right now. For the Z5, I would not recommend the Sony Kimber Kable. I tried it on my SE846's. The MMCX plugs were flimsy and loose. I also found the cable to be uncomfortable over the ear for long periods. I cut the plugs off and re-terminated for my Sennheiser 800's, which worked out beautifully. I would strongly recommend the Onso cable for the Z5. For $85 USD, I feel it is a steal. Very thin, light and flexible. Strong, tight MMCX plugs. Beautiful 90 degree 4.4mm plug. I bought 2 of them. One to have as a backup. If you would like to try it out before you make any decisions, let me know and I'll ship it down to you.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #10,280 of 45,723
I haven't encountered a loose MMCX on my SKK, I also paid about USD 80 from Jaben MY, but if it comes loose, it's not difficult to retermination it, or get some places to do it, what I really like about the SKK, it's a very solid cable, but also retainning the flexibility and one of the few that has a good quality right angle plug.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #10,282 of 45,723
I am new to this thread and please forgive my ignorance if I am asking something stupid...and please correct me. 

I understand that the quality of equipment from the point of D/A conversion matters, i.e. the quality of your DAC, amp, cables etc matters if you want to get good sound quality.

However, I always thought that as long as the signal is digital (i.e. before it enters the DAC), the quality of materials does NOT matter that much, because a digital signal "does not care" whether it is transmitted through e.g. a 100 USD or a 5 USD USB cable. In the end it is still the same 1's and 0's that make up the signal.

So why would a USD 3000 DAP provide better sound quality than an average phone or any other device for that matter?

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #10,283 of 45,723

​Tnx mate, do you know how much they take to make it? UPDATE: checked their page and saw the handle sony XBA-Z5 but don't have for MDR-Z7 bummer

I know that you have been looking to update your phones to balanced for a long time and that you are on a tight budget. I would say it's wise to get a cable for the Z7 before the Z5, as it will benefit more from the additional power. The stock Z1R balanced cable is very nice, if you can find one. It is not that expensive, built like a tank and has a fantastic 90 degree plug. The part number is a-2144-925-a. You can order it here, but it appears to be out of stock right now. For the Z5, I would not recommend the Sony Kimber Kable. I tried it on my SE846's. The MMCX plugs were flimsy and loose. I also found the cable to be uncomfortable over the ear for long periods. I cut the plugs off and re-terminated for my Sennheiser 800's, which worked out beautifully. I would strongly recommend the Onso cable for the Z5. For $85 USD, I feel it is a steal. Very thin, light and flexible. Strong, tight MMCX plugs. Beautiful 90 degree 4.4mm plug. I bought 2 of them. One to have as a backup. If you would like to try it out before you make any decisions, let me know and I'll ship it down to you.
I am trying to look for that cable (Z1R stock balancef) do you know where I can get one?

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #10,284 of 45,723
I am new to this thread and please forgive my ignorance if I am asking something stupid...and please correct me. 

I understand that the quality of equipment from the point of D/A conversion matters, i.e. the quality of your DAC, amp, cables etc matters if you want to get good sound quality.

However, I always thought that as long as the signal is digital (i.e. before it enters the DAC), the quality of materials does NOT matter that much, because a digital signal "does not care" whether it is transmitted through e.g. a 100 USD or a 5 USD USB cable. In the end it is still the same 1's and 0's that make up the signal.

So why would a USD 3000 DAP provide better sound quality than an average phone or any other device for that matter?

Neither the dap nor the phone is only transmitting 0 and 1 (unless you just use the device as a digital transport to feed an external dac) it is converting those 0 and 1 to an analog signal and then amplifying that signal to send it to your phones. Usually the quality of the dac and amp in a dap will be better than what is in a phone. Also shielding of noise and possibly the power supply in the dap will be better.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #10,285 of 45,723
Neither the dap nor the phone is only transmitting 0 and 1 (unless you just use the device as a digital transport to feed an external dac) it is converting those 0 and 1 to an analog signal and then amplifying that signal to send it to your phones. Usually the quality of the dac and amp in a dap will be better than what is in a phone. Also shielding of noise and possibly the power supply in the dap will be better.

Thanks nc800,

I should have been clearer. I should have said that I was assuming you tap the digital signal from the DAP or the phone (via OTG) and then feed it into an external DAC. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #10,286 of 45,723
Mar 14, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #10,287 of 45,723
Mar 14, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #10,288 of 45,723

Thanks nc800,

I should have been clearer. I should have said that I was assuming you tap the digital signal from the DAP or the phone (via OTG) and then feed it into an external DAC. 

To me the quality of sound starts at the recording level.  If you use great musical materials with great mastering, you will always get great music even if you listen from your cell phone.  Of course from the music to the transport, dac, amp, cable, and headphone all contribute to the overall sound. But I have heard badly recorded music that played on my totl set up and it still sounds bad and I have excellent recorded music and I can enjoy them through my cell phone.  Start collecting great music into your library and then you can work on the rest. My humble advise.

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #10,289 of 45,723
  To me the quality of sound starts at the recording level.  If you use great musical materials with great mastering, you will always get great music even if you listen from your cell phone.  Of course from the music to the transport, dac, amp, cable, and headphone all contribute to the overall sound. But I have heard badly recorded music that played on my totl set up and it still sounds bad and I have excellent recorded music and I can enjoy them through my cell phone.  Start collecting great music into your library and then you can work on the rest. My humble advise.

Excellent point, Jalo--a great recording can really make all the difference, and make for a supremely enjoyable listening experience, regardless of source device.  Also agree poorly-engineered music can sound very disappointing on nicer set ups; reminds me of one of my favorite sayings: "you can't polish a turd..."  lol 
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #10,290 of 45,723

Well said sir, although far too sensible an opinion for Head-fi  
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back