SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #9,796 of 45,723
B
Do not do this. You can adapt a balanced headphone for use with a single ended device, but please do not try to adapt a single ended headphone for use with a balanced output. You run an incredibly high risk of damaging your gear. It could theoretically work for a device with a 4.4mm output that's single ended, but the NW-WM1 is not that device.

Agree Brian, if they're looking for a 3.5mm SE female to 4.4mm male that's bad. However, if it's a 4.4mm female to 3.5mm SE male that should be fine. Cheers

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #9,798 of 45,723
B
Do not do this. You can adapt a balanced headphone for use with a single ended device, but please do not try to adapt a single ended headphone for use with a balanced output. You run an incredibly high risk of damaging your gear. It could theoretically work for a device with a 4.4mm output that's single ended, but the NW-WM1 is not that device.

Agree Brian, if they're looking for a 3.5mm SE female to 4.4mm male that's bad. However, if it's a 4.4mm female to 3.5mm SE male that should be fine. Cheers
And what about my case, the cables for z5 and z7 are dual 3.5mm males, and I have asked PLUSSOUND for advice on an adapter of a 4.4mm male to dual females of 3.5mm TRS

that won't result in damage?

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #9,799 of 45,723
Yep I'm not. I want to use my balanced headphone currently with 4.4mm balanced cable on single ended device with regular 3.5mm jack.

Oh, I guess I read that backwards. My bad. :D I don't know if there are many 4.4mm female plugs around, but there's been an uptick in male connectors so hopefully someone has already come along and made one.

In my perfect world all manufacturers would use the 4.4mm connector for both balanced and single ended devices so we'd never have to worry since the pentacon is capable of both.

And what about my case, the cables for z5 and z7 are dual 3.5mm males, and I have asked PLUSSOUND for advice on an adapter of a 4.4mm male to dual females of 3.5mm TRS

that won't result in damage?

Dual 3.5mm like the Pono connection? That should be balanced so going from that to a 4.4mm should be fine.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #9,801 of 45,723
I bought the Miter case and I must say I am not happy with it. It is a paper thin leather and is not shaped to fit the body of WM1A/Z. There is already a tear in my case.

Anybody looking for Dignis case but don't want to pay full price, keep watching the Y! Auction as they keep popping up. I just bought a like-new case for 6000yen.

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #9,802 of 45,723
I bought the Miter case and I must say I am not happy with it. It is a paper thin leather and is not shaped to fit the body of WM1A/Z. There is already a tear in my case.

Anybody looking for Dignis case but don't want to pay full price, keep watching the Y! Auction as they keep popping up. I just bought a like-new case for 6000yen.
Dignis cases bruises easily too.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #9,803 of 45,723
anybody here who owns both wm1a and idsd micro black label ?

impressions ?

I listen to the combination for a while with HR files. It was cleaner than My laptop setup. Foobar > iFi Murcury cable > iUSB 3 > IDSD BL.
Apart from that I did not hear much difference between two set ups.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #9,807 of 45,723
After burning in (500+ hours) on 3.5mm SE, do I need to do the same on the balanced 4.4mm?

Two different amp sections/circuits. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #9,808 of 45,723
I like the way the WM1Z is burning in. It is more euphonic compared to the DX200 and especially the WM1A. The contrast of the DX200 and WM1Z is nice. I would say the DX200 is more true to the source with the WM1Z adding some its own signature and both rendering a very, very enjoyable musical landscape. I still have a few more hundred hours I want to put on the 1Z to know where it will end up but I have little doubt it will be great. I like the better control that either the 1A or the 1Z have with the music over the ZX2 so on this, IMO, Sony has made an improvement. Not to discount the ZX2 but Sony has stepped up the sound in comparison. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #9,810 of 45,723
Agree as well! Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back