SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 3, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #737 of 45,723
So far only one DAP that does native DSD output, and that is DP-X1. Almost all DAPS out in the market do DSD over PCM. Having said that there isn't many DAC out there which accept Direct DSD. I really dont know if the current sony flagship will allow Direct DSD but DoP should be no issue, even the A30 allows DoP. 

That is not true. My AK 240SS and AK380cu both can output native DSD up to DSD256 (11.2 MHz).

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #739 of 45,723
That is not true. My AK 240SS and AK380cu both can output native DSD up to DSD256 (11.2 MHz).

Methods to have dsd outputted is different. One way is DoP which AK uses which wraps dsd into pcm pockets, however technically it isn't pure dsd as pcm is involved.

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #740 of 45,723
DoP isn't PCM | PS Audio
http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/dop-isnt-pcm/

Native DSD versus DOP comparison
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/native-direct-stream-digital-versus-dsd-over-pcm-comparison-28488/

11.2MHz is only good for analog output on AK380.

Only 5.6MHz on digital output via micro USB as shown below

http://www.iriver.jp/support/file_1256.php

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #741 of 45,723
Method of have dsd is outputted is different. One way is DoP which AK uses which wraps dsd into pcm pockets, however technically it isn't pure dsd as pcm is involved.

Please check AK website.

From the AK website AK 320 and AK 300 both use Dop, but AK 380 play back DSD natively up to DSD 256.

Lotoo Paw Gold also support DSD 5.6 playback natively.

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #742 of 45,723
Eb1DI5D.jpg

DoP (5.6MHz) on AK300/AK320/AK380 when we're going for digital output via micro USB

http://www.iriver.jp/support/file_1254.php
http://www.iriver.jp/support/file_1255.php
http://www.iriver.jp/support/file_1256.php

PCM:384kHz/32bit DoP:DSD128(5.6MHz/1bit)まで。(2016年7月現在)

11.2MHz on AK380 for digital input via micro USB (USB Audio Class 2.0) and analog output.

*No* DoP (11.2MHz) for digital output via micro USB yet.

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #743 of 45,723
[COLOR=111111]I can't hear the difference between dsd and conventional flac[/COLOR]

I can hear the difference easily. Same album. Same song. Flac vs dsd. Eventhou is not really much. Dsd has more weight to it and better layering. Somehow..a little warmer too. But the most signifocant one is the weight of the sound.

Between Flac16 and Flac24 i hardly spot any difference thou.

Not all recording these differences easy to notice. Some albums, they almost the same, between flac/wav/dsd. But if i focused to the sound in quite environment, i still can hear the difference.

Personally, i prefer to use wav/flac16/flac24, eventhou i have about 3.5TB on dsd alone but i seldom copy it into my player.

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #744 of 45,723

@Seeteeyou, you are right I meant to say play back and not output. 380 can playback DSD 256 natively on the player itself. USB output was only recently possible via a firmware upgrade (v1.25).

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #745 of 45,723
I can hear the difference easily. Same album. Same song. Flac vs dsd. Eventhou is not really much. Dsd has more weight to it and better layering. Somehow..a little warmer too. But the most signifocant one is the weight of the sound.

Not all recording these differences easy to notice. Some albums, they almost the same, between flac/wav/dsd. But if i focused to the sound in quite environment, i still can hear the difference.

Personally, i prefer to use wav/flac16/flac24, eventhou i have about 3.5TB on dsd alone but i seldom copy it into my player.

Exactly this. DSD (to me) has much more of a natural/analogue sound. I honestly dont understand how people can't hear the difference. 24/16 bit I seriously can't hear any difference yet 24-192khz is the standard for most Dacs where DSD is made out to be a joke and companies like Schiit won't support it.

But I really don't get why Sony, the people trying to perpetuate DSD don't sell albums in DSD!

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #746 of 45,723

Exactly this. DSD (to me) has much more of a natural/analogue sound. I honestly dont understand how people can't hear the difference. 24/16 bit I seriously can't hear any difference yet 24-192khz is the standard for most Dacs where DSD is made out to be a joke and companies like Schiit won't support it.

But I really don't get why Sony, the people trying to perpetuate DSD don't sell albums in DSD!

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #747 of 45,723

They don't sell album in DSD, they do sell Vinyls, and the turn table which can convert your vinyls to DSD directly storing in your Walkman or computer :D

What else can you ask for ? I agree about DSD sounding better. The ability to tell the differences depend on each person, so you can not blame others. The truth is that Sony knows DSD is better, so they are bringing it back to the game :D

Sep 3, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #748 of 45,723
They don't sell album in DSD, they do sell Vinyls, and the turn table which can convert your vinyls to DSD directly storing in your Walkman or computer :D

What else can you ask for ? I agree about DSD sounding better. The ability to tell the differences depend on each person, so you can not blame others. The truth is that Sony knows DSD is better, so they are bringing it back to the game :D

Vinyl is fine for speakers but on HP's like my HD800's those crackles become distracting and annoying.

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #750 of 45,723
Vinyl is fine for speakers but on HP's like my HD800's those crackles become distracting and annoying.

you obviously have not run into those elite rippers out there that rip for free and make all those 50$ hi-res editions sound like a robbery 
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back