SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #661 of 45,723
Sony's Take on COMPLY foamies dubbed the "triple comfort erabuds" seem to be silicone mixed with foam material

seem to be only included in the new XBA-Nx Lineup though

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #662 of 45,723

Thanks, will test it on Saturn GmbH , and perhaps buy it off amazon.com when released at states side or if i cannot import, typical from amazon US, then i get it from AJ

You could try amazon worldwide, I have found items on that site that will ship to Canada that won't from amazon.com.  

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #663 of 45,723
No getting away from the European volume cap as it is the law and thus unavoidable.  What is so stupid is if they want to protect children's hearing you can buy special child safe headphones with a volume limiter instead of treating everyone like children.  I bought a pair for my niece when she got her first iPod and they work great.

EU cap regulations are only for the pairing of a device AND it's included headphone. Since Sony does not include a headphone there is no regulation that they have to comply with

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #664 of 45,723

Thanks, will test it on Saturn GmbH , and perhaps buy it off amazon.com when released at states side or if i cannot import, typical from amazon US, then i get it from AJ

If you are going to import maybe try contacting Sony about an extended warranty and see if they will cover for out of country purchase.  I have to say given my warranty experience with Sony Canada I won't import a Sony DAP and if they won't sell them in Canada I will buy something else available locally. Not worth the risk and hassle on an expensive item like a DAP.

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #665 of 45,723
EU cap regulations are only for the pairing of a device AND it's included headphone. Since Sony does not include a headphone there is no regulation that they have to comply with

Thanks for the clarification, just another reason to be frustrated with Sony

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #666 of 45,723
I wish Sony would listed the headphone output rating on their website.  I'm hoping for 250 mW per channel in balanced mode.  Man...my dream of owning a be all end all DAP is coming.  I sure wish that I can afford the 3K version.  Actually can, but its just not a sensible purchase since I can get a much better sound coming from a dedicated desktop rig.  I had the Paw Gold on loan and it was pretty impressive as a stand alone portable device.  However, it loose out to the Mojo & PHA-3.  I hope that the WM1A will be as good as the Paw Gold.

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #667 of 45,723
Sep 2, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #668 of 45,723
HA!

So, this will probably effect very few of you, but I thought I'd point it out anyway.

First, it looks like the 1Z can be pre-ordered at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KL958RY?ie=UTF8&tag=sonyelect08-20

Second, is something for those of you who happen to have a Discover card. Depending on what promotions they've offered you for the July-Sep time frame, you may already have a "5% cash back" when making purchases from Amazon.com.

If so, that's effectively $160 dollars off the 1Z, if you buy it through Amazon with a Discover card. Doesn't take much sting out of the price, but it's better than nothing. :wink:

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #669 of 45,723

I've lived/studied/worked in both Asia and Western countries and I see both sides of the coin too and is merely explaining it to those who doesn't - hey I'm not the one complaining about the lack of WiFi/Android/Tidal support and say that Sony is crazy for not including these features. Try living in another country where these services aren't offered - you know how long I've waited for things like Netflix to go international and not limited to NA?  It seems to me that it's often the Westerners who takes things for granted and not looking at it from the other side and are crying the loudest when their needs aren't catered to for once.

As you pointed out space is a big issue for why head-fi is more popular in Asia than in Western countries.  If you have a lot of room for your house and with a permitting working culture (ie you actually get to go home when clock strikes 5pm and your private off time is actually respected), then the idea of spending 3000 grand on a portable device is insane - I'd start building a desktop or even a shelf speaker setup instead and buy a nice comfy recliner to put in the study - heck I DID that when I was living in Australia, and at that time I had absolutely NO use for a DAP - let alone a high end one.  But if you start living in a shoebox such as in Japan/other Asian countries and can' afford to disturb your family and neighbours with speakers, and that your room is so tiny that you can't even make space for a table (like in Japan, many people use fold up tables and packs them away for sleep because bed space and work space is one and the same), your normal working hour is 9am to 9pm and you spend 90mins on the train commuting every day, then your option is only going to be some sort of endgame DAP and a nice pair of headphones/IEM.  These kinds of buying decision is completely culturally dictated, and a lot of people that haven't seen the world don't/can't sees it from this angle. 

Again as I said I'm not planning to buy this DAP, I'm merely putting myself in Sony's shoes and explain how the target this product to those who don't "get" how these products are formed and marketed towards their intended audience.

Thanks but Sony fails big time not having far vision of importance of revolving technology period  ,what is the problem with sony to just include a wifi chip that may be helpful to everyone in the world that has access to wifi at least to stream their own collection from wireless portable HD(seagate 2TB) and access internet in a emergency situation ? even though I always use my ZX2 and DP-X1 in airplane mode and once in a while i look for updates of firmware and other apps so my point is sony has to look beyond their own small world otherwise they bury themselves deep and let them learn from Samsung and LG and of course Onkyo,good luck with your way of helping sony to go down to netherworld.

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #670 of 45,723

No getting away from the European volume cap as it is the law and thus unavoidable.  What is so stupid is if they want to protect children's hearing you can buy special child safe headphones with a volume limiter instead of treating everyone like children.  I bought a pair for my niece when she got her first iPod and they work great.

So these will sound louder than the A30 which has included earbuds i bet?

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #671 of 45,723
  HA!

So, this will probably effect very few of you, but I thought I'd point it out anyway.

First, it looks like the 1Z can be pre-ordered at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KL958RY?ie=UTF8&tag=sonyelect08-20

Second, is something for those of you who happen to have a Discover card. Depending on what promotions they've offered you for the July-Sep time frame, you may already have a "5% cash back" when making purchases from Amazon.com.

If so, that's effectively $160 dollars off the 1Z, if you buy it through Amazon with a Discover card. Doesn't take much sting out of the price, but it's better than nothing. :wink:

Yeah according to information on the IFA site it is set to be released in October so Sony looks to be doing an early push.  Probably to take advantage of the buzz created by the IFA release and it is already listed with pricing on most Sony sites.  The A30 series is nowhere to be found just yet, probably to avoid taking sales away from the WM-1 DAP's

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #673 of 45,723
  Thanks but Sony fails big time not having far vision of importance of revolving technology period  ,what is the problem with sony to just include a wifi chip that may be helpful to everyone in the world that has access to wifi at least to stream their own collection from wireless portable HD(seagate 2TB) and access internet in a emergency situation ? even though I always use my ZX2 and DP-X1 in airplane mode and once in a while i look for updates of firmware and other apps so my point is sony has to look beyond their own small world otherwise they bury themselves deep and let them learn from Samsung and LG and of course Onkyo,good luck with your way of helping sony to go down to netherworld.

Sony only seems to care about Asia when it comes to their DAPs. The rest of us seem to be to advanced for Sony to comprehend with our new fangled wifi and streaming audio. You need to look elsewhere if you want current features. 
confused_face(1).gif

Funny how Pioneer/Onkyo, and Fiio seem to get it but the company that invented portable audio has no clue. Sony will have like 5 different DAP's now, you think they could offer at least one with wifi if not android and streaming audio for their customers not living in Asia.

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #674 of 45,723
These units are sealed now and the only way to get future service from Sony is to pay for an extended warranty.  The more expensive the DAP the more the warranty costs so figure on $3200.00 DAP plus taxes, and an extended warranty and it now becomes closer to $4000.00

The recommendation is now to replace the batteries when battery life drops below 50% of rated value. So figure on needing to replace the battery in roughly two years depenidng on usage.  DAP's come with a 1 year warranty so do the math.  A 1 year extended warranty could be long enough to cover 1 battery replacement and give you another 2 years at least or longer if you wait until the battery dies

Hmm, sealed as in completely impossible to open up for repairs? Sony should be able top open them, if necessary by destroying that leather patch and putting on a new one afterwards. I don't see why one would have to have a warranty to get a battery replaced, as long as you are willing to pay for the work and the parts. Apple offers such battery replacements for devices that are many years old. Watch companies will fix watches that are decades out of warranty, as long as you pay. The question is whether Sony offers this, and for how long - if this is yet another proprietary battery size, they may no longer be making them in five or ten years, and NOS batteries will have degraded just by aging.

Wel, usually some cottage industry arises that allows you to keep your old gear working, but that should not be necessary if the manufacturer did their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back